1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fuzzybear, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shooting coaches are for college teams.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, we do have players who never went to college :p

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hard to believe we don't have one, thought it would be pretty much a standard thing in the NBA nowadays.

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

I'm convinced that Brewed caught Ariza asleep on the plan and used some arcane voodoo *&$@ to steal his shot. It's too coincidental.

5. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

How about a NO TURNOVER coach

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This needs to get done. Especially in regards to free throws.

Sure against GSW, Hack-a-?? wasn't crazy; but not being able to trust some of your best players & shot blockers in crunch time drops the team down a tier.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Get a rebound coach while you're at it

8. Voltik

Voltik Member

Free throws and 3-point shooting. Since we are reliant on both so much. We generally lost when shooting horribly at the 3. Shooting better free throws would help tremendously since we need Dwight as a rim protector and Jsmoove in the 4th where he often comes out to play.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

The head coach needs a coach to tell him how to coach.

10. zilches

zilches Member

I am struck by how often Smith, Jones, Howard, and Brewer just seem to fling the ball at the basket and then pray it goes in. Heck, even DMo appears to do that sometimes. It is like they are stricken with fear.

11. SemisolidSnake

A team that shoots more than threes than any team in history doesn't have a shooting coach. Somehow, I'm not surprised by this. Needs to change. We can't have another season with such abysmal free throw shooting or inconsistent three shooting.

I'd also hire a "point guard coach," to work with our point guards, James, and the rest of the team on passing, court vision, playmaking, etc. The team needs offensive structure, and it starts with the point person.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

Steve Nash once tried to help with Dwight Howard's mechanics but he refused.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Classless over-reaction thread.

No matter what kind of criticism you have for Coach, there is no reason to call for shooting him.

15. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I've often wondered why he does this and why he purportedly refuses help in this area. Then it dawned on me that injuries may be a factor. He's had knee, back, and shoulder surgeries that may prevent him from being fluid.

Anyone with internet can learn shooting best practices. Maybe some players have trouble teaching themselves so that a coach is a necessity. Regardless of who you are, a coach can expedite the learning process. I know D12 is open to coaching since he works out with Dr34m. I'm hoping he surprises us all and comes back with a jumper and a mid-range game in his back pocket. He may not use it all the time because of the Rocket's offensive philosophy but it may be useful in 5sec or less offense.

16. imaginedragons

remarkable rise in Parker's FG% and FT% after Engelland's tutoring. i believe Grant Hill and Steve Kerr were also students of the "shot doctor". anything helps, and these can make the difference in the playoffs

17. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

we have access to one of the best FT shooters of all time who has previously coached Josh Smith successfully

USE HIM!!

18. binhie

binhie Member

Damon Jones is currently a shooting coach with the Cavs. He and his family live in Houston. If he's not under contract with Cleveland, Rockets should go get him

19. CertifiedTroll

My highschool coach used to make bigs shoot freethrows one handed. This made their shots soft and consistent mechanically . If our bigs could put down there pride and do this their ft shooting percents would skyrocket.

20. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Steve Novak?