1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One common thing that you don't like to pay a premium?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by UtilityPlayer, May 15, 2015.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I don't believe in paying premium for a cup of coffee. I don't indulge in Starbucks , coffee places that charge like $ 4-5 for a cup of Joe.

2. Buck Turgidson

Good call on coffee. Can't remember the last time I had a cup that wasn't brewed at home or at a sit-down restaurant.

Dry vodka. You can't tell the difference between Monopolova or a similar less-expensive but quality one and brands like Grey Goose.

Things I absolutely will always pay a premium for: ziploc bags, trash bags, tp, paper towels, meat/dairy at the grocery, aluminum foil, work gloves, flip flops/sandals

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

1. Bottled water - Sorry, I just can't wrap my head around paying for water. Ever.
    2. Watches - I never spend more than $50 on a watch. Does it look nice and tell me what time it is? Good enough for me.
    3. Sunglasses - I've never spent more than $10 on sunglasses. They are usually bought at gas stations for $8 or less.
    4. Shoes - Again, anything over $60 is too much to justify paying as far as I'm concerned.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Toilet paper is something I'll pay extra for good quality

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Starbucks doesn't charge $4-5 for a regular cup of Joe. You're just saying you don't buy espresso drinks.

Sunglasses and jeans are probably my two big ones. Hell, any clothes pretty much. I ****ing look good in $5 clearance rack Old Navy shirts. I'm about to indulge for the first time on some nicer sunglasses though. I'm like Ima, but the last few have broken too easy. I'm not going to pay $100 or anything, but maybe $50.

I'll also buy pretty much any HEB replacement brand item.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I got a very normal washer-dryer set instead of one of those large, nice looking frontload LG/Samsung ones and that turned out to be a great decision. I got them both for the price of just one of those prettier looking ones and they've worked perfectly so far.

Plus, the laundry room has it's own door that's shut all the time, so why do I care what it looks like?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's a good call too.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It's so damn annoying/cliche when people talk about $5 cups of coffee at Starbucks. A cup of regular coffee at a lot of locations will be ~$2. The other crap that's basically a coffee flavored milkshake is what ends up running into the $4-6 range.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

now that i dont really drink much anymore i do indulge in coffee. i think i come out on top money wise pretty well. liquor and beer is $$$.

i have too much school,work,4 year old boy i love to spend time with. so it works better for me.

11. Nook

Nook Member

"Point guards" - Daryl Morey

1 person likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

See, I prefer the cheap TP. The soft fluffy stuff gets caught up in my ass. Paper towels and papers plates on the other hand, I pay the premium.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Wait you don't like butt doobies man :confused::confused:

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Simple-Dollar/2011/1029/How-long-will-it-take-an-energy-efficient-washer-dryer-to-pay-for-itselfaccording to this site in 6 years they pay for themselves. i got a pair of them on sale this past holidays from sears. who knows haha

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've never once paid for water, don't intend to either.

When I was younger I was a little more image conscious, but as an adult I realize how stupid it is to pay $100 for shoes, that's never happening again.

Not really a premium, but I refuse to use toll roads.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fountain drinks.

No way I pay up for bottled coke.

If they're out of the fountain, I demand the same price on the bottle.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Most everything. I try to find a best price/value whenever I shop. Heb...I look for HEB brand items. Wal Mart, I look for Sams Choice.

I always check my coupon sherpa, especially look at the coupons HEB gives you at the register, look for groupons or restaurant.com for dinner deals....I've just become a smarter spender after some of the financial hardships I've been through.

I think the easier question for me would be what WOULD I pay premium price for.

My favorite fishing lure...a good phone...aside from that, I can't think of anything else.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sb charges less than 2 bucks for normal black coffee....

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Delivery when you buy a mattress ... Never let them con you into that.