1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Might we give Vancouver our number one and end up with only Buck's pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Summer Song Giver, Jan 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Summer Song Giver

I'm really looking forward to this Draft but it could turn out to be really less than special if we only get the buck's pick.What is the status of the pick owed to Vancouver for the Francis deal?I've seen some mock drafts where the only pick we get is the Bucks pick(around 20)Is it at all possible that we end up with only the Buck's pick?God I hope not.

------------------
    I don't cry when my dog runs away
    I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
    I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot
    hits the bottle and goes back to the rock
    f%ck&n fightin it's all the same
    live with louie dog's the only way to stay sane
    let the lovin'
    let the lovin' come back to me

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What if we had no picks? I think that we have to consider the possibilities because trade scenarios are flying all over the place. There is always the argument to be made that trading a pick for a proven player can be a good move.

Think of it this way...

Our cap space in the offseason (assuming we still have it when Dream retir...um, leaves) can be turned into a player with the trading of a pick. Move a first rounder or two to another team for their player and we can take them because we have the cap space. In that instance, it is just like signing a free agent only without the wait-and-see.

I like drafts because of the craziness and speculation involved, but if the Rockets get a shot at a sure thing, should they take it? I would.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

3. Summer Song Giver

I only wrote this because here on the BBS there is never any mention of us giving our pick to Van. this year and to be honest I've gotten my hopes up pretty high for the draft.

Absolutely Jeff,trading picks for proven talent is always a good move in my opinion unless you over do it by sending an exhorbarent number of picks then it can backfire.Why,what do you know that you're not telling? [​IMG]

------------------
    I don't cry when my dog runs away
    I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
    I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot
    hits the bottle and goes back to the rock
    f%ck&n fightin it's all the same
    live with louie dog's the only way to stay sane
    let the lovin'
    let the lovin' come back to me

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I'm banking on the fact that Vancouver will forget that we owe them a pick. You know, new management and everything. [​IMG]

------------------

5. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

SSG... If I'm not mistaken, it does not have to be our pick. It can be any 1st rounder. This should not be a concern.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Traj, they are very aware of the pick we owe them. In fact, they are counting on it to bail them out of the debt they have to Detroit.

I've given this topic considerable research but I still don't quite yet have all the particulars. Teams don't like to give this info out. But I think you can trust all the info I do give here.

Houston owes:
    1) Vancouver. This pick is top-13 protected this year. If the Rockets make the playoffs (as we all hope?) Houston can give Vancouver either their own #1 or someone else's that is either top-15 or within 2 of Houston's draft position. If we don't make the playoffs, the Rockets must convey a top-15 pick in '02 or '03. (So, we'll be best off if we had the best record in the league and gave Vancouver the 29th pick.)

2) We're also giving our '01 #2 pick to Dallas. We aren't owed any #2s, so it looks like we won't be getting any second-round gems this draft. [​IMG]

Houston is owed by:
    1) Detroit. It is a conditional #1, but I don't know the conditions. I also don't know when it is due (between '02 and '04, but I have conflicting reports). Considering Hill leaving Detroit and their sorry record, we probably won't get this pick this year (plus, consider we got this pick for Turkcan: it is probably pretty well protected).

2) Orlando. It is top-16 protected this year, but not protected in '02. It doesn't have to be Orlando's own pick, though. Orlando has a lot of debts coming and going, so it is hard to say if they will pay this year or not. They owe #1s to: Denver, Toronto, and possibly Detroit (I still need to check that one). They are owed #1s by: Phoenix, Dallas, LA Clippers, Sacramento.

3) Milwaukee. They owe a top-10 protected #1 (top-10 protected until '07) that must be their own. It seems next to impossible that they won't be giving us this pick this year.

4) Chicago. The #1 for Drew is top-20 protected this year, top-19 in '02 and top-18 in '03. In '03, if they don't give us their #1, they'll give us 2 #2s instead. You can rest assured that we won't get anything from Chicago until '03.

Summary: So, I'm predicting that in the first round, we'll get our own pick (11th?), Milwaukee's pick (19th?), and maybe maybe maybe a bad pick from Orlando (27th???). In the second round, we won't pick.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I know nah-thing. [​IMG]

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.