1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about draft picks.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TraJ, Jan 26, 2001.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

How exactly do the rules work for which teams picks where? I understand the lottery, but what about the other teams. Does it go strictly by record. Does seeding have anything to do with it? The reason I'm asking is because of the Milwaukee pick. The Bucks are in second place in the East with a record of 26-15. That's sixth best in the league. Does that give them the 24th pick (if the season ended today)?

------------------

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, I'll try and explain this as painlessly as possible before HeyPartner whips out a 15 page dissertation on the nuances of the lottery...

The 13 lottery teams, of course, get placed in the lottery, with the team having the worst record getting the most balls, and so forth...Top three picks are selected based on the lottery, with the remaining lottery teams picking in order based on their records...

Now, the playoff teams are seeded based on their exit in the playoffs...The eight first round losers get the next highest picks, based on their final regular season records...Then, the four conference semifinal losers get placed, based on their records...Then, the conference final losers are placed, followed by the NBA Finals loser and the NBA champ

I hope I didn't confuse you too much...

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!