1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Been going religiously for the past 3.5 weeks. I've been going early in the morning after dropping my son off at daycare, usually around 630-7am. My biggest problem has been being tired throughout the day. How do you usually avoid this?

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^ might be a diet issue, or you're still getting used to the new routine.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any tips with making running a hobby? My feet always seem to hurt after ten minutes of running. I bought new shoes too. Tried different shoes. I think theres something wrong with my feet. Or the way i run? But i already copy others. Maybe some feet stretches im not doing? Please help. I need to do cardio in a bad way.

4. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I've said it before, but if you're in houston go to Luke's Locker and have someone in the shoe department help you out. I've never had foot problems, but have always been impressed with them

5. pugsly8422

When you say "diet issue", are you thinking I'm eating wrong in general? Or eating wrong for someone that's working out? I usually have a fruite & veggie smoothie with some protein powder in the morning, and some fruit and water with protein powder after the workout. The rest of the day it's pretty much whatever the job permits, although I try to keep it as healthy as possible. I got back from the gym around 830 this morning, and I was ready to pass out around 930.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Thats where i got my new shoes from. Still hurts.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thats why i dont like buying these jars. a little of this and a little of that and at the end of it you get underdosed. Stack separate.

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

I was thinking that maybe you aren't getting enough good carbs. Sometimes people starting their new workouts might cut carbs too much but sounds like you're going ok based on you're pre/post workout snack.

Maybe it's just normal "dad" tiredness. :(

9. pugsly8422

Haha, definitely could be. He just turned 4 months yesterday, so I'm definitely still getting the hang of it, as well as my ever changing sleep patterns. Appreciate your input!

10. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

The biggest factor in my enjoyment of running when I have to get more miles in is to follow a training plan and track my miles online. I use a Garmin watch and there are a number of free training plans on there that systematically raise your miles. If you're lifting as well Training peaks will let you track a variety of sports though the free version doesn't allow you to edit plans. I have friends and family on Garmin and can see how many miles they have run (or swam or biked) in the current week/month and we have competitions. When I moved late last year I used meetup to find a group of other runners.

As for foot pain, it's the worst and usually pretty normal when you increase your miles. I get some mild plantar fasciitis that feels like a huge knot on the arch of my foot. I got some of these as a gift but any type of ball would work. I find it really does loosen the relieve the discomfort. I also make it a point to switch up my non-running shoes. Keep at it, this is the bad part. The good part is right around the corner.

11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Just got back into the gym early April. Been doing StrongLifts 5x5. Just got onto week 4 and it is really starting to add to soreness. Nothing too crazy but I'm sure the rest of the schedule is gonna get brutal.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

If you are getting foot pain in your arch while working out...or getting a little bit of plantar fasciitis in your heel there is a good stretching exercise to do:

1. get an old bath towel and sit with your back straight, either against pillows in your bed or against a wall.
    2. Keeping your legs straight in front of you and your toes pointing up, put the towel around the balls of your feet and hold with both hands (kind of like you are holding reigns of a horse)
    3. Pull back on the "reigns" from a sitting position, stretching the top of your foot back
    4. Hold for 10 seconds 4-5 times, both morning and night
    5. Do this for about 2 weeks...should relieve discomfort in your heal and arch
    6. You should feel the stretching in your arch...and if you have the pain on the bottom of your heal, you should feel it stretching when you do this...you'll also feel a little burn in your hamstrings and calf since you should have your leg straight. (If you don't fee it stretching, you have the towel wrapped to low on your foot, you have to find the balance of stretching, but not have it slop off over your toes)

[​IMG]

I have also had a doctor say just buy Dr. Scholl's Tri-Comfort inserts instead of expensive custom made orthotics. Don't work out in them, but wear them in any casual or dress shoes to help keep your arch stretched. I use them in my dress shoes and noticed a big difference.

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

waiting for response as well...

i feel tired as hell during the day..

14. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

Are you getting enough restful sleep?

This past month, I've been hitting the gym just about every morning at 5:30. Aside from the first few sessions, I've not had the issue of feeling tired during the day. It helps that my sleep schedule has been adjusting since the birth of my daughter, who's now 1.5 years old. At this point, I'm in bed by 10, and depending on my energy level, I'll be asleep within the next half hour. This gives me 6-7 hours of sleep, which seems to be enough for me.

There's also other general lifestyle factors to consider, mostly what you're consuming throughout the day. For instance, I used to be a caffeine fiend, and have slowly (and I mean slooooooowly) gotten to where I am now, which is tea during the day, coffee a couple of times a week, and as much water as my tiny bladder can handle. Food is simple enough; just stay away from the over-processed pre-packaged junk. The only supplement I take is a multi-vitamin. I'll probably implement protein powder into my daily intake, but not much. Most of my calories come from just regular, whole foods. Not looking to be uber buff, but just stay in shape so I can keep up with my rapidly growing daughter.

All this is just my experience, so certainly YMMV.

Oh, and "dad" tiredness definitely overrides everything. :grin:

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

ARNOLD- IRON CUTS

has anyone taken the fat burner-cutting product? the bottle states to take 3 pills after breakfast and 3 pills after lunch..
    I work-out at 5 AM in the morning, therefore dont eat breakfast maybe around 8 AM (so i been taking 3 after the breakfast)

Should this be taking before the workout (or after workout is fine?)

16. htown1984

htown1984 Member

oops sorry the product is Arnold- Iron Cuts

17. vstexas09

got tired of the lee labrada plan...

started a new one, and surprised i just heard about it. apparently it's really popular.

it's called stronglifts 5x5...

did day 1 on monday, about to do day 2 tomorrow...

anyone have success with this program?

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

5x5 is probably the most common powerlifter/BB routine ever

19. vstexas09

have you done it?

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You get some nice strength gains. But, make sure you have a light day and heavy day (5x5). You wont see alot of hypertrophy