1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin School of foul shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Apr 19, 2015.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed. we aren't even hoping for 66%... we'd be happy with just over 50% (as it would meet the one point per possession objective). That's what's so frustrating... these guys can't even meet a low bar of 51%. :mad:

I am thinking Capella will get to an acceptable %. His form seems more sound than Dwight's, Josh's, and Dorsey's. I'd cut Joey though, just because of his poor FT shooting.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe if they ditched the name "granny style" and changed it to "Barry style" more players would embrace it. It's just too damn embarrassed to tell people, "I'm learning from granny how to shoot FT."

Going from 41% to 81% is not "typical." His third and fourth years are in the 60's and finished the rest of his career in the 70's. That's significant improvement in my book.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Karl Malone 48.1 FT% rookie year... 74.6 FT% final year.

So there is hope in the embodiment of evil.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Granny style ... ever tried that ? It's much harder to shoot that way than just learning proper form

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

A 16% improvement from making half your ft to almost 2/3 is a noticeable improvement. If you just take the bigger picture you will never notice his abysmal 3rd 4th and 5th year which he improved upon, and also when he developed that hitch in his form and later in his career when he got rid of it when his ft got better.

6. zilches

zilches Member

If it was me (terrible ft shooter), I would go all out to hit the first free throw. Then, on the second, I would fire a bullet at the rim to make the rebound a free-for-all battle.

As an added bonus, it would make the game more interesting.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I did the math on why this is an awful idea. Huge variance, but horrible average return.

8. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Are the numbers clear?

9. zilches

zilches Member

You could be correct, but I am not talking about casually missing the ft, but making it a hard hit off the rim/backboard that could fly anywhere. The opponent would have to consider subbing in their best rebounders prior to the 2nd shot, who might not be their best offensive players even if they secure the rebound.

10. zilches

zilches Member

I feel like I am hijacking a solid thread, and I think that Calvin working with these guys couldn't make things any worse.

It just wouldn't make any difference during this playoff run.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Players, coaches and commentators have said it a million times, it's all mental, and not technique or form (most of the time). I remember a picture of the Lakers practice FT%'s and Howard shot like 80+ something %. Bill said Smith was nailing 15+ FT's in a row in practice before game 1 against the Mavs, and many many similar stories have been told about all the other horrible FT shooters.

It's a mental thing, focus and anxiety problem probably.