1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to reclaim the #2 seed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Orange, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Orange

Orange Member

Wrong not if they are tied. Please do research before starting out your sentence with "wrong."

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Nothing is for sure, but the Rockets haven't lost 3 in a row all season and get New Orleans at home. After that you're talking about two scrub teams probably resting starters. Got to win tomorrow and then it's very likely they go 3-0.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Seeding and Tie Breakers

In the event of a tie, the following criteria are used to determine seeding. The first tie breaker in all scenarios is a division title - a division champ gets a higher seed over a non-champ with the same record, regardless of whether or not the teams are in the same division. If that doesn't settle the issue, the following statistics are considered, in descending order:
    Head-to-head record
    Winning percentage within division (if tied teams are in the same division)
    Winning percentage within conference
    Winning percentage against playoff teams within the conference
    Winning percentage against playoff teams in the other conference
    Point differential

http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-playoffs/a/About-The-Nba-Playoffs.htm

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

If the Spurs lose a game I want to hear about their "Downward Spiral" on ESPN.com. People were acting like the sky was falling last night. It was a regular season game people. Not like this was playoffs.

5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Memphis has to lose 1
    @ GS
    vs. IND

San Antonio has to lose 1
    vs. PHX
    @ NOP

Houston has to win 3
    vs. NOP
    @ CHA
    vs. UTA

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Win Houston, Win.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that is totally possible

but then again I don't think seeding at this point really matters

we just need to play good basketball in the playoffs if we want to win against any of these opponents

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

9. today

today Contributing Member

If everyone wins out, who wins the three way tiebreaker for the division title?

Edit: Spooky, you answered my question even before I could post it, lol. Thx Dominant

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

grizz can lose against the warriors, spurs can lose against the pells...

the only issue is that the warriors might start resting guys since they locked up #1, and the spurs know they are playing for seeding so i think they bring it to the pells just as much as the pells bring it to them while trying to make the playoffs.

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Why do ppl keep saying we get 6th seed? Doesn't the Blazers have a loosing record? I know they're div leaders but the overall record counts first

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Utah it's not a scrub team any more. It would be just their night for the Rockets to be in place to get the 2 seed back and the F'n Jazz of all teams ruin it.

13. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

They win their division though, which guarantees them a top-4 seed.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If Memphis, San Antonio, and Houston all win out, then it will stay like it is now with the teams seeded 2, 3, and 6 (assuming LAC wins their last two games (vs. Denver and @ Phoenix).

The likelihood of those 3 teams going a combined 6-0 is low. Even if they're all favorites, it's still like 10% at best. Still, the likelihood of the Rockets going 3-0 isn't good either. Ultimately, the division is still up for grabs, but even closer is HCA in the first round in the form of the #5 seed facing a hobbled Portland team. It'd be a good matchup between two hobbled teams.

15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

GSW 65-15 (2 Games left, 1st Seed.)
    Grizzles 54-26
    vs GSW
    vs Pacers
    Clippers 54-26
    vs Denver
    vs Phoenix
    Portland 51-29
    vs OKC
    vs Mavs
    San Antonio 54-26
    vs Phoenix
    vs New Orleans
    HOUSTON 53-26
    vs New Orleans
    vs Charlotte
    vs Utah
    Mavericks (48-31, 3 Games left. 7th Seed)
    Pelicans (43-36, 3 Games left. 8th or 9th)
    vs Houston
    vs Minnesota
    vs San Antonio

OKC (43-36, 3 Games Left. 8th or 9th)
    vs Indiana
    vs Portland
    vs Minnesotta

The other intriguing battle that we have an interest in is Pelicans vs OKC.

We own the Pelicans pick (Asik trade) and if they make the playoffs the pick could fall from 14 & Lottery pick to 19th, thanks to the weaker Eastern Conference.

As much as I'd like to see Davis make the Playoffs, I hope it's not this year...for the Picks sake.

But I could see New Orleans needing a win against San Antonio to make the Playoffs & Pooavich resting his starters just to 'Cuban' the Rockets pick.

I hope we win the rest of our games.

I see the Grizzlies splitting their upcoming Games.

Clippers should win both of their games, but either Denver or Phoenix could play spoiler and win a game...I hope so.

Portland don't need to win any more games, they are not going up or down in the standings.

Spurs...should win the next 2, but a desperate Pelicans squad could steal a game off them.

I see the Pelicans going 1-3 to finish the season & OKC 2-1, unless they are tanking for that number 1 pick...(Conspiracy theory)

It looks like an exciting finish to the regular season. All we have to do is win.

I wouldn't be too mad about a rematch with Portland, but believe that we can take anyone in a 7 Game series.

#Pursuit

#35 IzakDavid13, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Didn't that what happened vs The Jazz ? They where div leaders , while had a better overall record. We got HCA if my memory serves me right

17. RocsFan

RocsFan Member

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Rockets won't be able to hold no home court advantage even if they get it in the seeding. That worked out oh so well for us last season. It's more important who we play than where we play.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't believe that is true. We are 2 and 2 against the Clips this season and I believe the next tie breaker is Conference record.

Clips 35 - 15

Rockets 31- 19

Clips advantage.

Is there something I'm missing?

20. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Yes read the tiebreaker procedure Mr. Dominant posted. If the clippers and rockets finish tied with the same record and finish in the top 3 that means the Rockets would have won The southwest division. Division winner is the first tiebreaker.