1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20,000 Trees to Spruce up Houston freeways for Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bigtexxx, Jul 20, 2003.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I go to school in Dallas, a barren wasteland as far as I'm concerned. We can't let Houston turn into that, nobody would want to live here. We make the place more pleasant, more people don't mind moving here!

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

it's these things that the woodlands currently has that makes that place so much nicer. if houston could even reach 1/10 of the tree/park factor that the woodlands has, h-town would be a much prettier city.

fo sho.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That's the first thing that came to my mind too when I saw the title. Making the city look pretty is nice and all, but it would seem to me that this would majorly help with our current pollution problems.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

For real?? :eek: That will be a huge change. When are the first ones supposed to be brought down Jeff?

I cant imagine driving down 45 not seeing a billboard.

Thats a huge step in the right direction if it comes to fruition for H-town. Something that will at least help the astetic (sp?) value of the town.....

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I agree. Damn, i had no idea the billboards were coming down!:cool:

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats one of the reasons why Clear Lake is a better looking area...I think they have some sort of ordinance that requires that store signs be at ground level or close to it. No big gaudy signs all over the place.

This is the funny thing...most people around here denigrate the suburbs because of the stripmall factor...but I dare you to find a place with more trees and green grass that has so many people living in it.

When you look out over Pasadena south of 225 and Baytown East of Decker Dr.from a raised viewpoint, all you can see is green...trees everywhere with a few buildings sticking out.

but all anyone can remember when they think about those two areas are the industries and stripmalls...

I think this is a good idea...Houston certainly could use some more green to work on the pollution.
    and I hadnt heard about the billboard ordinance...great idea...It's a shame they couldnt have them down sooner than 07.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Plant a treeeee....

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

[​IMG]

No, no more trees!

I know...tasteless joke...sorry

9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Jeff should run for Mayor. I'd vote for him.

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

My bad - I had no idea all the billboards were coming down. That rocks! (and no, I wouldn't take any offense Jeff)

While I agree that trees are beneficial, it just sounded to me like a quick fix as I mentioned before. I don't think all of the $75 million they are proposing to spend this year would come from the sources that you mentioned. Certainly if you think that increasing the number of trees is very important, you are willing to hop on whatever bus arrives to reach your goal.

However, I have to say that Houston is by far the greenest city I have ever lived in. I have lived in Edmonton and Calgary, Alberta, and I lived in Osaka, Japan, so let me tell you - from my experience Houston already has a buttload of trees! When I look out my office window, all I see is a sea of trees with a few buildings sticking out.

My question is, if we are so concerned about pollution, can we at least tackle the industries in Houston that are pumping it out?

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The original billboard ordinance was actually passed in 1980. It banned new construction of any billboard. That went to court and made it all the way to the state supreme court who upheld the ordinance.

The ordinance was amended during that time including the 1992 provision banning all off-premise signs within the city limits.

The reason we've only recently seen the change is that the court battle lasted until mid 1999. Since then, large numbers of billboards have come down.

Actually, it can and will with the exception that some of it may come from private sources as well.

There are state and federal laws governing how you can spend certain highway and environmental dollars. Those sources represent millions and millions of dollars every year.

As for industry, the city of Houston couldn't possibly take on the industries surrounding the city. We do not have the resources, which is why it is up to the TNRCC and the EPA to fight that battle. Obviously, the city will do its part to influence them especially given the 2007 deadline for compliance with clean air standards, but, ultimately, it will take more muscle than the city can provide alone.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do any of you guys work in buildings that are 10 stories or taller? have any of you gone up on the toll road near I-10? this city has many more trees than you might think. reading this it's like we're a concrete jungle...we're not. clearly not. west houston used to be flat prarie lands...we developed suburbs with big 40 year oaks there now and it's a virtual bird sanctuary.

having said that...more trees along the 45 route is a good thing. i'm all for this.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

So let me get this straight. ALL the billboards on major highways in the greater Houston area will not have billboard advertising by 2007??

Thats hard to believe....

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Houston naturally has more trees than Dallas, and even though I love Houston and have an inborn hatred for Dallas, Dallas is still a much nicer looking city.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

NO way. Dallas is a crap hole when it comes to looks.

Ft. Worth is OK. Arlington is nice, but Dallas itself is gross.

The drive into Dallas on I-45 from Houston is horrible. Twisted pile of garbage after twisted pile of garbage.

AND...Sometimes I go up to the top of the taller buildings where I work and if you look out, ALL you see is trees. This is actually a pretty green city.

16. deepellumrocket

"I think I hit a tree. I must be in Houston."

- From the player on Links 386, the first game to introduce me to the fun of the mulligan.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Any sign not on the property of the business it represents will be gone. Period.

Now, big signs representing the company on that property - car lots, for example - will be allowed to remain, but there are more restrictions on their dimensions than before.