1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mar1juana Pain Management--true story

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While we're at it, there's other schedule 1 drugs we need to decriminalize.

source

[rquoter]

Seeing Opportunity in Psychedelic Drugs

MATT SCHIAVENZA MAR 8 2015, 5:37 PM ET

In a massive study published in the*Journal of Psychopharmacology, scientists at the Norwegian University for Science and Technology at Trondheim concluded that*there is no link*between the use of LSD and psilocybin (the active ingredient in magic mushrooms) and mental-health problems. The study selected 135,000 participants at random—including 19,000 who had used psychedelic drugs—and found no evidence linking such drugs to the onset of mental disorders.

"Over 30 million U.S. adults have tried psychedelics and there just is not much evidence of health problems," the author and clinical psychologist Pål-Ørjan Johansen said.

Johanesen was careful to acknowledge that users of psychedelic drugs are not immune to bad trips, and are as susceptible as anyone else to mental-health issues. But his findings negate a common perception that drugs like LSD put users directly in danger—a justification used in criminalization.

"This study assures us that there were*not widespread 'acid casualties' in the 1960s,” Charles Grob, a pediatric psychiatrist at UCLA, told*Nature.

The study's publication arrives at a time when interest in psychedelic drugs—or at least their scientific usefulness—is surging. In*The*New Yorker, the journalist Michael Pollan profiled scientists at New York University*whose experiments with administering psilocybin have had largely positive results—particularly among participants stricken with terminal cancer. And in the U.K., 12 patients suffering from clinical depression*will take magic mushrooms in a study next year at London's Imperial College.

Most psychedelic drugs—including LSD and psilocybin—have been illegal in the United States since 1970, the year President Richard Nixon signed the Controlled Substances Act. The legislation classified LSD and mushrooms under Schedule 1, prohibiting not only their consumption and sale but also their use in medicine. Research into the therapeutic benefits of psychedelic drugs largely froze after decades of frenetic scientific investigation.

Despite a revival in scientific interest, a legislative reconsideration of LSD and mushrooms is not yet on the table, and may not be*desirable. But a renewed enthusiasm for examining psychedelic substances hints, as with the*gradual relaxing of mar1juana laws*across the country, at a more humane, rational approach to the criminalization of drugs.

[/rquoter]

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Cousin is going through this.
    He has Cancer and we .. .we don't know what to do

He is only 48 yrs old

The Chemo is at the point of just extending life. . . we praying for a miracle
    He cannot eat or anything . .. except when he has the opportunity to toke a little bit
    I see not wrong in it.
    Maybe it is real . . maybe it is in his mind.. . .. doesn't matter to me

Rocket River

3. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

everyone should check out CNN's documentary by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Charlotte's Web. It is a specific strain high in CBD that lowered the amount of epileptic seizures in a young girl (age 8) automatically after the first dose. just one of the many stories out there that show the benefits of legalization.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Therapy from pain can be a holistic process as well

mental process sometimes needs grease as much as you need a physical mechanism of relief

5. Nero

Nero Member

I have a question about this issue, but before I ask it, let me state, unambiguously and for the record: I am in FAVOR of de-criminalizing mar1juana across the board, period, just completely decriminalize it and be done with it.

I will also state uncategorically, and for the record, I do not drink, smoke, nor use any illicit drug, and never have. I do not, and never have, used mar1juana in any form. So I cannot be confused for someone who 'advocates' for it with ulterior motives.

And just to be clear, my personal opinion is that people who are huge fans of weed, well, I don't have much use for those people. If you cannot happily get through your life without artificially altering your state of mind, well you have deeper problems. It's pretty much the same thing I think about people who drink excessively. None of that stuff interests me AT ALL.

The reason I am in favor of decriminalizing the stuff is simple pragmatism, and an open mind. I think it's relatively harmless, from what I have been able to learn, and certainly less harmful than either tobacco or alcohol. And it's pure stupidity to waste billions of taxpayer dollars on enforcement, prosecution and encarceration of such a thing. There are better things to spend the money on than that.

That said, here's my question to you folks stumping for legalization for medical purposes (and again, I support this myself, because I support it across the board): Would you still as-enthusiastically support legalization for mar1juana IF it meant ONLY legalization for medical purposes and 'recreational' use would remain illegal indefinitely?

1 person likes this.
  6. MexAmercnMoose

A little harsh no? Live a little, just take one hit, relax.

1 person likes this.
  7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Fair question. I'm not sure, but the debate would still rage on as many argue that mar1juana is a safer means of recreation than Tobacco or Alcohol.

8. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

when you're done using people from your high horse I have a joint rolled for you

Medical legality would mean easier access for all, regardless of recreational legality or lack of

1 person likes this.
  9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

It's still up to parents to keep their kids away from it.. that's not the nanny states job

it'll still be just as hard for middle and high schoolers to obtain It. With legitimate supply chains come the exclusion of illicit ones

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't pretend to hide behind the facade of medical benefits. I would just like to be able to smoke a joint on a Friday night after the kids are in bed while I watch some dumb **** on TV. That should be my right as a human being. If my neighbor can down a 5th of Jack and smoke a pack of Marlboros until his lungs bleed, then I should be able to enjoy the relaxing properties of mar1juana without fear of legal backlash.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

That's technically a recreational usage but if it's relaxing then I'd argue you're using it for the medicall benefits too.

You don't have to be sick to benefit from medical grade cannabis

12. Nero

Nero Member

I completely agree with you.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I prefer moes honest recreational argument. More honest and actually valid. Your justification and the premise of this thread is pretty flawed. There are better pain meds, and moes specifically said it was for recreation.

Moes is comparing it to drinking and smoking thus recognizing it isn't the healthiest activity. I never understood why NORML freaks act like weed is a religion. Always talking about how awesome hemp rope is or how weed cures cancer.

Hopefully this snakeoil medicinal nonsense will go away when recreational usage is decriminalized and people like moes don't need to feed into some lie to get their poison of choice.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not discrediting certain medicinal uses of mar1juana. It can be an effective way to get pain relief without the side effects as HP stated. And no, you don't have to smoke it to get those benefits. You can vape it, drip it, eat it, whatever. I think medicinal usage should be handled by doctors and not lawmakers. But personally I won't try to champion how it cures diseases just to justify my desire for recreational use. Those people need an solution, but most others just need a fix.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Because for some people, it is a religion.....

[​IMG]

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As someone who has suffered from chronic pain for years, my only comment is that I would prefer that government stop telling doctors how to practice medicine.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Hemp rope is pretty ****ing aweSome.

It can kill tumor cells.

It's not poison morons.

Just bc someone likes to do daily activities stoned doesn't make them a fiend or whatever you're trying to portray the avid recreational user as.

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

How long will it be before skeptics stop comparing alcohol with mar1juana to paint daily users as just people looking for a poison fix?

Nvm the fact that our bodies coevolved with cannabinoids in nature.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I don't have diseases, and I smoke recreationally, an addict to most laymen. it just makes my life experience more vivid and in depth.

I can still champion it's use in disease cure and prevention

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Moes made that comparison.

Telling people weed cures cancer is dangerous and irresponsible. Fortunately no one will care when recreational usage is decriminalized and such nonsense and people who believe it will be marginalized.