1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car replacement help (had an accident, not at fault)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Have no fear... Mr. Brightside will shine his light on your rear!

2. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Going through a very similar situation. Guy caved my rear bumper in while I was inside and drove off. Thought that I would only get $3000 as well based on KBB value and just received news that I will be getting $7300, so you never know with that stuff.

Man our situations are eerily similar. I had a 2003 Civic that I got for $5000 with similar mileage.

I wouldn't necessarily fight it, but I would do what someone else said and start asking what others would give for it. If you can get even a little bit more for it, good on ya. And then maybe you can work out a deal with the guy who hit you and get some extra monetary compensation from him.
    Doubtful but that's what my greedy mind thinks.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

How are you getting 5k and i'm only getting $3800?!?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Years ago we had a couple of cars stolen. The insurance company did not use KBB as a means of value. Instead, they used what people were actually getting for cars, thus my suggestion to search the classifieds and used car dealers for actual prices. Things may be different now, but back then KBB was not being used (at least not as a sole source).

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

he didn't say when, what model, options or condition.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Anyone have experience with Pontiac Vibes? I'm reading really good reviews for older models... but as the newer models have lower reviews. I'm leaning towards this as my next car, based off what I read about its gas efficiency and reliability (since it's Toyota made).

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

I want a vibe too. But... there are a lot less vibes in the junk yard than civics, if you want to maintain the car economically.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hmm... wait, why a "but"? Isn't that a good thing? Less vibes in the junk yard means it has long longevity right?

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

It would be a good thing, only if pontiac sold the same number of vibes as honda sold civics. :)

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

Let's put it this way. in 2014, honda sold almost as many civics as pontiac sold vibes combined.

11. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Vibes aren't made anymore, so if something happened where you needed a part, it could get pricey.

12. icrnk

icrnk Member

You can try getting an auto appraisal. I used Houston Auto Appraisal one time for diminished value a few years back but looks like they're getting bad reviews now. This place seems to have good reviews: https://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AwrTcc7yLQdVPtAA0YInnIlQ?id=66722106&stx=auto+appraisal&csz=0

13. hvic

hvic Member

No put it on black