1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What Texans RB will bust out and be the next Portis this YR

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lpya2, Jul 16, 2003.

?

What RB

1. Stacey Mack

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Toni Hollings

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Jonothan Wells

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Domanick Davis

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Lpya2

Lpya2 Member

Which running back will make a big impact and who will be starter for keeps. I like Hollings who do yall like.

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

my brother goes to Georgia Tech. and he's been to a few Tech games last year before Hollins blew out his knee.

He tells me that, " this guy before his injury led the nation in rushing. On paper thats good, but on the field he's equally as impressive. Before his injury, gave McGahee a run for his money. "

BUT, he blew out his knee and Tech's season went down the drain. I hope this kid can come back from the acl tears. The Texans made a good choice by taking him.

#2 UTweezer, Jul 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  3. Lpya2

Lpya2 Member

Thank u that's what i been saying all along. he is a RB that is going to be with us 4 a while so Toni is our man.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

In next year's draft the Texans may pass on a runningback if Hollins can live up to the hype. Just imagine if they draft Roy Williams to go along with Andre Johnson. WOW!

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, the pick we gave up for him wasn't even ours.

Funny last year we had NO ONE at running back. Now we have a log jam. Maybe not a "star" but at least some debth.

I vote Mack. He's more of a power back and I think he'll fit in best with Capers ball control offensive style.

6. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

For any one of those guys to near 1000 yards they are going to need a healthy offensive line, and solid contributions from the recievers to keep safties away from the line of scrimmage. Wells should give Mack a good battle in camp, but Mack should emerge. He has to be the coaches favorite and that will help alot.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Don't be suprised if Davis makes some noise, a lot of people considered him a better RB at LSU than LaBrandon Toefield.

Mack could have a nice season if the team decides to pound the ball. I could see him maybe having a Tyrone Wheatley 2000 type season.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

none of the above.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Does anybody really know how healthy Hollins is? I hope he's ready to go and can compete for the starting job. Behind this makeshift line everyone is going to suck. But I'd really like to see Hollins getting a shot if he's healthy. But I do know it usally takes two years to recover from injuries like this.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Portis is a top-five back in the NFL, so I have to agree with CK and say none of the above. No one on the Texans' roster will approach Portis' level. Not saying that no one will claim the starter's position...but no one will become a top back in the NFL this year.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I think Jonathan Wells has the potential to be a good RB. A 2headed attack of Hollins and Wells could look formidable in 3 years.

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Do you guys know that Hollins rushed for a 1000 yards in his 10th, 11th, 12th grades from the QB position? I'm not saying this equals success in the NFL, but it sure is impressive..

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

James Allen.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

I hope Hollings gets some playing time to show if he can play. But you know it's either going to be b/t Wells and J. Allen.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to start a poll that will be called "How many times will I win the lottery this year?"

A: Once
    B: Three or four times
    C: A whole bunch of times
    D: Like 50,000 times

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

The name of Clinton Portis still gets me upset. Should have drafted that man. Nobody on this team is in Portis's league but Ill predict Mack to have the best season. Altough that wont mean much because they probaly will look into accuiring a RB or drafting a RB come next off-season.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hopefully the name of Chris Brown won't do the same in a few years. :mad:

I still don't get the Ragone pick.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Portis wouldn't have done anywhere near as well behind our line with a rookie FB, QB, WR, etc. playing beside him. Yeah he's a great player but give Gaffney some time the learning curve for a WR is a lot longer than for a RB.

I was upset at the Ragone choice as well, just because I thought it looked like a luxury pick where we still have way too many needs. Casserly has always believed in best player regardless of position especially with a young team having no depth. But Ragone was a huge value in the third, this was once a top ten pick if he would have come out as a Junior. Instead he stayed and had no O-line or skill talent around him. Dude is a warrior and could easily become a pro bowler in time. If we can develop him and then trade for a high draft pick ala Rob Johnson or Matt Hasselbeck then Casserly looks like a genius.

As for the Hollings, Mack, Wells debate: I don't think we'll see much of Hollings until the second half. The Texans won't rush him but instead will count on him for next year. The timing could work out really well. With Johnson, Joppru, Gaffney, Bradford, and Miller getting comfortable in the offense and with the O-line gaining some stability our offense could be decent. Let Hollings start a few games down the stretch and the Texans will hopefully get the idea if they need to use that #1 on a RB. If he does well then our offense could be set and we could use that #1 to infuse our defense with some youth. Remember Payne and Walker will be free agents.