1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Angry Mob Syndrome

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by ipaman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm not sure when exactly this happened but lately it's out of hand. As soon as anyone takes a contrarian stance or makes a joke, sometimes in bad taste, the first responder/attacker will post. Immediately after that first challenge post, the angry mob starts to join in until we have several people asking for apologies or bans, along with severe judgements against the contrarian or jokester. I'll admit, asking for someone to be banned is hilarious!!!

Regardless, isn't it supposed to be the mods responsibility to define and delete any inflammatory posts? Also to remind posters to stick to the thread and not derail with posts denouncing/attacking another poster? Instead we get a thread with a topic, a few on topic responses, 1 contrarian or jest post, followed by many off-topic denouncing, disparaging posts against the one poster. In some cases the post was an obvious troll which makes it even worst to see all of those serious responses.

Is CF now inhabited by super territorial, thin skinned, PC, keyboard warrior zombie herds who have eaten all the mods?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Use the report button for offensive posts. But the rest of what you described is a symptom of the internet.

But I'll say this, the reaction after cyberx posted the Lin/Hill for Lawson rumor was absolutely absurd on so many people. I've been thin-skinned on this BBS many times over my 18 years here, but the reactions by the cyberx defenders took the cake.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The guy is treated like the 2nd coming of Jesus by some here. So much so that even the most preposterous things he states cannot be questioned without being attacked by the CxOF's :grin:

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I blame Plowman! :p

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

you have got to be kidding me

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How dare you be so mean to cyberx???? This is why we can't have nice things!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Sigmund needs to be hung.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

after he told us goodbye and good luck i was ready to reply "Luck the Fakers", but had to hold back lest his fanclub go further bezerk

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It was actually a worse rumor than that.

The rumor was that Denver was intrigued by the Lakers offer of Lin/Jordan Hill/Rockets 1st round pick for Ty Lawson and Wilson Chandler.

Posters (including me) pointed out how ridiculous that trade offer was considering the Nuggets wanted multiple first round picks for EACH of those guys and then the cybersquad went bananas for several pages saying we were attacking him. You had people, respected (by some I guess) posters say that we should not be allowed to discuss the posts Cyber makes other than to thank him for posting it. Batman Jones I think said that if you try to figure out whether what Cyber is saying makes any sense you are just having an ego trip. (Paraphrashing)

Crazy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You wouldn't mind if the mob was against something you didn't like, but be annoyed if it's against something you agreed with.

That's just human nature. I didn't see people complain about mob piling on the Lin fans.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed with RM95 and 'yank. That was absurd yesterday.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Oh no, not another syndrome.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I mean I'm a cyberx guy, but man...that just sounds so stupid, if I were him I woulda thought that was a fake plant to see who the leaks are. I mean really, Lin/Hill for Lawson and Chandler? Really? and the first rounder is ours, which means its in the high 20s at best... that's just smh Lawson's like one of the best PGs in the league...

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have, what, 51,000 members? Clutch and the mods do heroic work trying to stay on top of things, but they clearly could use some help. Sure, people can go too far attempting to "help," the "help" sometimes driven more by simply being pissed off at a post, or not liking a particular member, than an altruistic desire to keep ClutchFans what it is - far better than the vast majority of fan sites out there. Yet when someone makes a post that essentially demeans the site, I think they need to be called out. Particularly in the GARM, it being the main reason most of us are here. In my opinion, members get incredible leeway. Outright bans are a rarety here. We should be grateful. Some of the posts the OP may think are simply poor taste, "contrarian," or a "joke" go far beyond that, in my opinion. And I'm talking about posts in general, not posts in that particular thread. Sometimes people need to be slapped down if they want to stick around, in my opinion.

The cyberx thing mentioned by the OP? Yeah, the guy is thin skinned. Some of the newer members did get a bit hysterical after he said he was going to "leave." Considering how often cyberx has said this sort of thing and then come back, hysteria wasn't called for. Heck, I made a post to cyberx that it was rediculous for him to bail right in the middle of the Deadline, and that he should continue posting and ignore people saying things he didn't like. Eventually, he did return. He would have been better served to have ignored the criticism, put those he particularly didn't like on ignore, and if he had something to post, just post it.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Fact is cyberx won't stay away for long even if he threatens leaving. He loves his internet persona and his popularity around here.

When he said he was leaving, you had a bunch of posters crying for him to come back and attacking posters who questioned his clearly ludicrous proposition and that is exactly what he wanted. I guess dude has a huge internet ego

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I also thought that trade rumor was bunk form the moment I read it! You have to admit that cyberx does have a huge cult following, and if you question what he says it will be viewed as hate. I TRY not get involved whenever I have doubts about what he's saying, BUT I don't always succeed in refraining myself from voicing my opinion. Clutch has vouched for him, and THAT more than anything else is why I TRY to stay hidden in the background! You are not the only one who has gotten chastised for using common sense and voicing an opinion when a trade scenario sounds preposterous , just know that you are not the only one who sees through the smoke.

[​IMG]

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean everyone else wants to hear it. If you have a thought, think about whether it'll annoy someone, and then don't post it. We don't need our community to get cluttered with conversation.

:p

1 person likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Quick everyone, Cyber is posting in the paging thread, get your groveling in now and maybe you'll get on his Christmas Card list!

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I invite you to spend more time in the D&D ;).

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If Cyberx DID leave Clutchfans, would life go on? Or would the universe cease to exist?

Personally, I can't tell whether Cyber has legitimate sources or not. But I'm not a fan of threads with 3,000,000 views that are just "the random trade ideas thread" with Cyberx in the title.

1 person likes this.