1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans select Hollings in supplemental draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobrek, Jul 10, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was kinda hoping they'd wait until the 3rd round...but they know better than i do.

3. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I think this is going to be an awesome pickup...

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still don't understand how the supplemental draft works. :confused:

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Supplemental draft is usually for players who are declared academically inelligible.

They don't do the draft just like the regular draft. In fact, look below and you'll see how they actually do it.

If a team chooses a player in a round, that team loses their draft choice next year in the round they selected the player.

Houston loses their 2nd round pick next year (via the Raiders).

It's the same as if the Texans took Hollings in 2004 with that pick except he's on the team this season.

#6 RIET, Jul 10, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ehhh... not exactly.

this is from one of our draft writers, warren:

8. reallyBaked

reallyBaked Member

guys on 610 said this morning that this guy was someone the Texans would take a shot at...

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It looks like Wells and Allen are the odd men out. Mack is the starter and with all the hype Hollins is getting he may move up to #2 on the depth chart leaving Dominique Davis for KR/PR and 3rd down situations.

10. Hey Now!

let's not get ahead of ourselves here... i love the pick, but we don't even know if he's healthy at this point. so to vault the kid to second on the depth chart is a little premature.

remember - he has all of four games experience at running back under his belt; this isn't a 4-year starter. so it's doubtful he'll see the field until he proves he can read and pick-up the blitz. and again, that's assuming he's healthy (boselli's situation makes me nervous when it comes to the texans' ability to spot and treat an injury.)

i suspect he'll see limited action over the season's first half. so wells and allen are still very much in the mix. (i doubt davis will see much action, either, except on special teams.) in fact, who it hurts the most is mack, who signed a one-year deal. if hollings proves healthy, et al, mack's carries over the second half will likely decrease, hurting his value next spring.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah I see what you saying but what if Hollins is ready by preseason and out plays Wells and Allen? He reminds me of a raw Curtis Martin and I hope he gets some P.T.

12. Hey Now!

it's all "if" at this point. if he outplays, if he's not healthy, etc.

yeah, the idea is that they will eventually be expendable, and yeah, it'd be great if that happened this year, but that's way premature; let's wait until we see what this kid can do.

13. Smoke

Smoke Member

We didn't use our own 2nd round pick. It was the one from the Raiders. Good move!

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Ric and RIET. I understand we got a good offensive lineman (M. Brown) via the sup draft. From what I hear, he may even be a starter this year.

One more question. Has the sup draft always been around? I don't remember hearing anything about it when the Oilers were here.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Brian Bosworth was taken in the supplemental draft

16. Hey Now!

i don't think he was... but he might've. bernie kosar is probably the greatest supplemental draft pick, and, iirc, he petioned it to avoid being in the regular draft because there was a good chance the oilers could nab him.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Someone mentioned Chris Carter was a supplemental draft pick. He's a HOFer for sure. Dunno if he was really drafted in the sup-draft though.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The Seahawk: Taken in the 1987 supplemental draft by Seattle, Bosworth signed the richest contract in Seahawk history signing for 10 years for $11 million. He was moved to the weak side, even though Boz had spent his entire career on the strong side to make all the defensive calls. He had his moments, but a shoulder injury forced him to retire after three years.

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is an ESPN list of some famous Supplemental Picks:

There were some good players in the 80's but a long drought since then.

Best Of The Supplementals
    In the 26 previous supplemental drafts, only 32 prospects have been selected, and not many have been players of consequence. A few notable players, though, entered the league through the supplemental draft. Here are some:

Player Year Team
    QB Dave Brown 1992 Giants
    WR Rob Moore 1990 Jets
    RB Bobby Humphrey 1989 Broncos
    QB Steve Walsh 1989 Cowboys
    LB Brian Bosworth 1987 Seahawks
    WR Cris Carter 1987 Eagles
    QB Bernie Kosar 1985 Browns
    QB Dave Wilson 1981 Saints

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He was ruled ineligeble at Ohio State much to the dis-may of Earl Bruce. Rumors in Columbus said this was teh administratiosn way of making sure Earl could not get past the old 8-3 reputation which led to his dismissal.

So yeah Chris did vo via the supplemental daft.