1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 19, 2014.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Told <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/astros?src=hash">#astros</a> would be sending three pieces back to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a> for Gattis</p>&mdash; Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/555449887849213952">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Interesting. Hope we don't throw the farm, I'd be fine with Feliz + one other good arm.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Told Dexter Fowler will NOT be part of Gattis trade to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a>. It is 3 prospects going from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a>. 2 top-10-ish types from system</p>&mdash; Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/555450270348750848">January 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

3. awc713

awc713 Member

If Fowler isn't traded...we're going to have a crowded outfield.

I like Gattis, but I'm not enthralled with him as a corner OF.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Folty, Ruiz, and Thurman....

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

So if Gattis is a Left fielder, our outfield now has: Gattis, Fowler, Marisnick, Grossman, Springer, and guys like Tucker, Aplin, Santana in AAA.

If he is a Catcher we now have Castro, Conger, Stassi, Corporan, Gattis.

If he is a 1B/DH, we now have Carter Singleton and Gattis.

I feel there will be other moves...

6. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

There had better be other moves!

Hate to give up Folty. Struggled last year though. I hate parting with Ruiz as well but we have Moran ahead of him.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Fowler and one of the catchers will be on the move soon one would think.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Is Gattis good? I thought Folty and Ruiz were big time pieces in our farm system. Gattis doesn't seem like the player to give up two young plus prospects. Unless I'm just lost in Folty and Ruiz's value. I admit, I've only followed the Astros loosely the past few years.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

That's what I was thinking.

10. Storm the Field

Gattis hit 21 HR in 105 games (109 OPS+) in 2013 and 22 in 108 games (128 OPS+) in 2014, most of which were spent at catcher. If gets more regular playing time, especially if he's playing 1B/DH/OF and not catching, you could rathger confidently expect 30+ HR.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For following them loosely, you've at least been swept up in the over-valuing prospects craze that has been about the only thing to do around here the last 3 years...

If Folty was a starter, this would have been a not-so-good deal. He may turn into a lights out setup-man/closer, but given this team's bullpen signings that wasn't going to happen within the next 2-3 years here. Ruiz was their projected 3B of the future, till they got Moran. He was also one of the first players they took advantage of the extra slot money to sign (by utilizing Correa's discount as the #1).

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

and yet our team winning percentage with him in/out of the lineup was night and day. He had a strong impact on the way the team played. I know, it's intangible and therefore not statistically definable outside of wins, but I would suggest that the ultimate record or note is W or L.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

His impact on the lineup is certainly not "intangible"... he was a top 40 player in runs created.

He's still very valuable as a top of the lineup hitter.

While Marisnick may save more "mythical" runs with his defense, his actual everyday hitting ability is still a huge question mark that will keep him (for now) from making the everyday lineup.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our outfield defense concerns me. I'm guessing Luhnow is just keeping Fowler until a good trade package come along for him.

I'm not sure how dead set Fowler is on staying in CF, but i would much rather us sign him to an extension with a move to LF as a requirement. People will get hurt, so there will still be enough PA for Conger/Gattis/Carter/Marisnick/Fowler/Singleton to get regular AB's.

Castro suddenly seems very expendable though, unless Gattis is completely removed from catching, which I don't see happening.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros avoid arbitration with Carter by agreeing to $4.175 million contract. Carter tied for second in MLB with 37 homers in 2013. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/astros?src=hash">#astros</a></p>&mdash; Kristie Rieken (@kristieAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/kristieAP/status/555533373268316160">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My eyes hurt just thinking of a Gattis Fowler OF.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Isn't this essentially a fall for the team? I'm assuming he'll be unrestricted after the season. Will the Gattis trade in conjunction with the agreement feed into the Astros are cheap refrain?

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Carter has 3 more years of arbitration.

1 person likes this.
  19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Thanks. I'm ignorant about baseball contracts and arbitration.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Pure optimism/speculation, but I'm not going to be shocked if we end up with Hamels this offseason. We're spending nothing on bats, and a TOR starter is a glaring need and can make us legit contenders. I think it's all a matter of whether they think he's a better option than who may be available at the deadline or next offseason.

Too many what-ifs in our rotation (though potentially good and including Appel in the future) to expect it to be World Series-caliber.

I'm all for throwing stupid money at one stud, the way the rest of our roster and salaries are shaping up. And Hamels qualifies as that stud.