1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol great answer. It's great and true. We just got Smith and Brewer.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yall got DMo overrated.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a chance to watch a few of their games and he's a pretty above average PG. The issue with that team is Evans has the ball in his hands all the time. Holiday has become like the third option there with everything going through Davis and Evans.

I personally like Lawson and would love to have him or Thomas on this team. You need a player like Thomas who can come in and make buckets. You're not going to get from Pat. Lawson and/or Thomas fill a need that this team lacks. You need another player who can actually handle the rock and get their own shot. You don't have anyone on this team besides Harden that can do that. Dragic is going to cost a lot of money moving forward and I don't know if he's the right player to spend that type of money on.

Although I'm not so highly on Canaan as others, he needs to get some PT. I don't understand why he isn't the back up PG with Terry backing up Harden. It makes no sense to have Terry with the ball in his hands. He's great as a spot up shooter and coming off curls.

McHale, IMO, has done a pretty solid job this year but it's time to cut some of the minutes for Harden and Ariza. If you look at this month's schedule alone, it's going to be rough with 17 games.

1 person likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Are you kidding?
    Per 36
    15 points
    7.6 assists
    1.6 steals
    .6 blocks

on 44/37/86 shooting

If you like ESPN's DRPM, he's doing poorly this year but in his playing time last year he was the second best at point guard in the league. He's #11 in ORPM, #6 in WAR...

Kid is good. He's not a superstar, but I think he'd be a really good fit on this team.

The Pelicans aren't doing as well as they should because they have a bad coach.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

t-h-r-e-e and "CF"=confirmed

half-life 3 confirmed.

1 person likes this.
  6. justtxyank

I agree with this post.

I'd like Thomas as well, don't think the Suns would move him though. (I'm not convinced they'd really move Dragic either.)

Lawson would be good as well.

I like Holiday better than Lawson because of size and defensive potential (over Thomas as well) but I'd be thrilled with any of those three ending up on this team at the deadline.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

There is no trade to be made at this time. :)

8. gaspar

gaspar Member

Oh boy...

9. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

No harden,dwight ,brewer
    Dwight is still the center in the league and the 3 reason why is
    1 demarcus cousins team is not a playoff contender so I wouldn't count him
    2 Marc gasol is the most overrated player In the league his stats right know are 20,8 with 1.7 blocks compared to Dwight's 18,11, 1.8 blocks so Dwight numbers are clearly better and if he was on that Memphis team right know I can already tell you he would be averaging more than 20 points a game
    3 neither one of them has the athletic ability that Dwight has
    Top 5 centers in the league right know
    1 Dwight Howard
    2 demarcus cousins
    3 Marc gasol
    4 Al horford
    5 Andre Drummond /deandre Jordan/Tyson chandler

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do. not. ever. say. that. (here) again. Except between March and May.

11. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

And boogie or Marc would not average the same amout of points they do if they played here with harden

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am starting to come around to seeing the benefits of Thomas, despite his short height and limited defense. There is no dispute, about his scoring skills.

All of the Suns guards are suddenly clicking together. It will be interesting if the Suns will be willing to move one of them by the February deadline. I suspect they will try to move Dragic for a big man.

13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I was high on him before he did the SnT. He just fits a bobby Jackson role that I think this team needs.

But as others said... we do need to let this team play through this stretch to see what we have. Too bad Jones wasn't ready to go yet. It would be nice to have him on this team. I won't be too surprise if he or DMo is traded at the deadline.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't see Lawson as an option at this point. His FG% and 3% have fallen pretty much every year since he's been in the league (now at an all-time low) and he's due $37 million over the next 3 years.

For me, it's Dragic or bust as far as point guards go. Everyone else is either not available or doesn't make sense. All of the other best options are PFs......LMA, Melo, Bosh, or Love. Don't think any of those are likely, but it's possible.

The Love situation is something to follow. IF Cleveland decides to go in a different direction (a MASSIVE IF), Houston could make an intriguing offer. Love would have some say in where he goes since he's due to be a free agent. DMo would give them something they don't have right now.......post scoring and defense. I've always thought Beverley would be a good fit at point guard in Cleveland, allowing them to move Kyrie to SG (his more natural position). Also, relieving themselves of Love (and Varejao in a separate trade) could make them players in the Marc Gasol sweepstakes.

So something like.....

Beverley
    DMo
    NOP 1st
    Terry
    Shved

plus finding a trade partner to take on Varejao could be pretty enticing to them.

15. justtxyank

I would not make the trade you are proposing. Starting point guard, starting PF, backup PG and our best draft pick for a starting PF...

That's an offseason move where you can sign a replacement PG, not a trade deadline move that will make it tough to win this year.

16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I really like Holiday as well. You don't need a superstar PG on this team and Holiday does fit the bill. He's got size, can get into the lane, and can play defense.

I just wonder how valuable that NO pick is going to be. If I were a betting man, I'm predicting that pick would be the 13 overall pick. I do think Phoenix will be the 9th seed with OKC making the playoffs unless there's another set back for OKC. I don't know how valuable that pick will be in this year's draft. I don't know enough about college to speak on the prospects.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Makes sense. They just got Brewer and Smith. Everyone but T-Jones is back from injury, and he's about a month away from returning. The schedule this month ain't that tough despite a lot of road games. And this is historically the time of year where the Rockets go on a run.

Let's see if they can get things going before calling for Morey to make some huge trade and shake up the roster even more.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

soon.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Morey go after Calderon at the February deadline, because of NY's desperate situation. He can shoot and pass, and brings some size and experience, despite his poor defense which bothers me. He can replace Shved. The Rockets may not have to break the bank in order to get him.

If Calderon doesn't play defense, Bev will make sure he gets the message.:grin:

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Don't see it that way.

Bev is due for his payday, which makes him a prime candidate to be traded. We have 3 "point guards in waiting" behind him, all of which will be on better contracts next year.......Canaan, Johnson, and Llull. Sure it makes getting your PG situation figured out this year a little difficult, but you can find a short term solution with the NYK pick or the MIN/DEN pick. Someone like Chalmers or Cole with Miami.

Shved hasn't proven enough to be called more than salary filler. He's not the backup PG right now, and I'm dubious to put him above Canaan on the depth chart.

Losing DMo stings until you remember that you're getting Kevin Love.

Bottom line......Kevin Love on a new 5 year contract is worth more than what you gave up to get him. He is THE perfect fit next to Harden and Howard. And it makes complete sense from a roster management standpoint. Josh Smith should play well with Love. If Smith leaves in free agency, you've got TJones to step right in. Capela is your long term Dwight replacement.

Continuity matters, but it shouldn't overwhelm talent and fit. And for the visually inclined, here is my proposed depth chart after the moves listed above:

Chalmers / Canaan / Johnson
    Harden / Brewer
    Ariza / Papanikolaou
    Love / Smith / TJones
    Dwight / Dorsey / Capela

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.