1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk is now the Lowest Paid Mavs Starter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JazzLakerHater

Come on man. I am certainly no Kobe fan, but anyone with some knowledge of basketball is not putting Dirk over Kobe.

2. dchoye

dchoye Member

I like to know how his agent , who takes a percentage, felt about the pay cut.

3. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

His sister is his agent. They dont care about money. One of the most humble and down to earth athlete ever.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would still ignore them and go with the younger Cousins, Davis and even Drummond.

I applaud them for playing well beyond 35.

The West is too tough..... I dare to say that both Memphis and Golden State will pose problems to Spurs and Mavs

And I hope our own Rockets will be ready for the playoffs this year as well.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Which means Dirk will have a huge role in the organization after retirement. He's paid for life.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

How does that make Dirk better all time? Unless this move generates multiple champinships for his resume, nobody cares if he's paid less. That was his choice.

Lakers have made way more off of Kobe than he makes off of them. They won a lot. It's only natural they suck a few years.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Who cares about how agents feel? They are bloodsuckers. They can go to hell for all I care.

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Kobe was better individually, but I'd sure as heck rather play with Dirk as a teammate. Due to his accuracy and free throw shooting, essentially every shot Dirk took is/was a good shot. Not the same with Kobe. I would take Dirk to build a franchise. Basketball is a team game.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In their cases Basketball is a shooting game and one about shooting efficiency.

10. flopi

flopi Member

He doesnt have an agent, at least that's what I heard during free agency
    Honestly, Im not that sure. If Dirk wouldve been drafted by the Lakers and played with Shaq and those other great players back then, they would easily have won 3 championships as well. And because his ego wouldnt have made Shaq leave I assume they would have won even more than 3. For most time of his career Kobe did have better players around him and a better coach (except for the past few years with Carlisle in Dallas). If Kobe wouldnt have had Shaq to start his career with, there is no way he would have had the same success. Just wondering how much Dirk & Shaq would have won in 10-15 years together. Probably more than Kobe did before & after he made Shaq leave.

11. blink52y

blink52y Member

I think its BS for the best players to take "pay cuts" to make their team better. Its a flaw in the NBA. Players are looked down upon if they take the money - its the only employers in the world that this happens. Bull****! The superstars make the team and NBA money - I dont see how its fair that they should take less money! Its stupid. Its communism. Flawed system. I dont particularity like Kobe- but he should make his money along with every other superstar that makes the owners and the NBA money.

12. flopi

flopi Member

Oh damn, you played the communism card, now every American will have to agree with you. FYI: I don't like communism either, but in this case it's a horrible comparison. No player is forced to take less anyway, they can still play for a contender and take max money (like Lebron did). The thing about Dirks and Dunacs paycut in comparison to Kobes max money is that none of these 3 would deserve max money now, they did during their prime but all 3 of them are well past their prime. They are better role players now, hence they should make as much money as a role player. Dirk and Duncan understood that, Kobe didnt. No superstar in his prime is taking a paycut.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Cuban's company owns part or all of some 80 other companies
    http://markcubancompanies.com/
    There are perfectly legal ways to multiply Dirks net worth.

But the league should not allow silly underpaid contracts as part of the salary cap restrictions. The Clippers could have 15 players making $4 million and Paul Allen could make up the difference with the change under his sofa.

14. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yeah, because he doesn't put any money in his Swiss Bank account. Don't be so naive. A Billionaire who doesn't give to **** what people think of him. He probably lets Dirk have sex with his mother.