1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've heard rumors saying he's adamant about getting a second Dynex. Look for the Rockets to offer a 42" but if he holds out for more the Rockets are willing to go as high as 52. Lakers are talking to Sony and Samsung about a possible 60", but what they don't know will hurt them. Go Dynex or go home!

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This, pretty much. Except that the available cap room figure is actually smaller than that. You may be forgetting incomplete roster charges, and Canaan is 80% guaranteed (meaning that he'd cost more in cap room to cut than to keep). The available figure (assuming the currently projected $66.5 million cap) is closer to just more than $7 million (assuming Beverley's cap hold stays on the books) or in the $9 to $9.5 million range WITHOUT Beverley. Not enough to sign Dragic outright . . . unless most of those cap-clearing moves you mention above are made.

#82 BimaThug, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Did you even watch the Knick game?

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think the benching of Dragic in the fourth is more than likely them either A) showcasing Thomas or B) trying to experiment to see if they can afford to lose Gogi. It in no way is a decision based on talent alone because Dragic is that team's best player.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bledsoe is their best talent.

Thomas playing in the 4Q is a coaching decision. He just has that clutch DNA when his shot is falling and they have been the last few games.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Top 10 Offensive Players via Locke Off Rating (min 20 mins per)
    10. Jeff Teague
    9. Damian Lillard
    8. Isaiah Thomas
    7. DeMarcus Cousins ...</p>&mdash; David Locke (@Lockedonsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/540662771885428736">December 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. gregas

gregas Member

He was not benched, LOL. He was playing alongside them, which unfortunately meant he touched the ball once(!) the whole fourth quarter, LOL. That might have something to do with why he feels unhappy right now.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Thomas played the entire 4Q and Bledsoe nearly as much. Dragic came when over half of the 4Q was over. It was the Thomas & Bledsoe show.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

I watched this game also, and really the only reason dragic got in at the 4-5min mark was because green had his 6th TO & missed his 5th 3... So their coach decided to pull him and put dragic in.

I can tell its tension, Thomas & Bledsoe don't even look dragic way. Both are good basketball players however, idk know what's gookg happen

9. gaspar

gaspar Member

Did you? He wasn't benched. Dragic played final 6 minutes of the game (32 minutes overall in the first game of a back-to-back). Nothing unusual.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dragic was an after thought. He was benched in favor of Thomas who took over his role and minutes.

11. gaspar

gaspar Member

I guess you have a different definition of "being benched".

This year Dragic is playing 2 mpg less than last season (which was inflated by Bledsoe's injury). Thomas didn't take over anything.

And BTW, with Dwight and Harden on the roster Dragic would be an even bigger afterthought in Houston than he supposedly is in Phoenix.

12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If Dragic wants to play for a Contender, he will leave Phoenix via trade or FA because Phoenix won't be a contender for at least a few years. That would mean that in the west, the only team that would fit that bill would be us-The Houston Rockets.

But he could also choose a building situation where he will be featured more, so that would put the Lakers and Knicks in play. But would he want to just go for the money and rebuilding those situations? He could because of their histories and he would be more featured there verses playing along side of Harden and Howard.

So to me, Phoenix trades him because I see him having at least 3 better options than resigning with them, although bird rights do mean something these days. I don't see Phoenix taking the chance of trading Bledsoe or Thomas while still taking the chance that Dragic could sign with another team in FA, unless the offer was so ridiculous that they couldn't refuse. I just don't see where that offer could come from, but stranger things have happened.

I think Phoenix trades him to us, but Morey gives up more than we want to give up for him because as already stated by other posters above, for us to sign him outright without bird rights in FA would cost us even more than a potential trade would.

13. mockster

mockster Member

Pick + Canaan + one of our forwards/or one of our very many point guards.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pick + 2nd rounders + Papa (they want a wing).

15. FANfrom86toNow

If that would get it done, I would be happy and wonder why it isn't done immediately instead of waiting to the deadline so that we can already begin to build the chemistry with Dragic. Therefore I suspect that this won't get it done.

But you never know with Morey. Maybe he really feels he can get it done for less at the deadline. Time will ultimately tell.

16. mockster

mockster Member

It's not easy. Plus it's not houston it's other teams. Waiting for the trade deadline is nesscarey for a couple of reasons. 1. Is you get to see how your team is doing by then and really ask yourself of you need to trade dragic or any team deciding to trade a player. You also get to hear proposals until then and the trade deadline makes teams desperate on both sides and makes tensions high to get a deal done.

17. FANfrom86toNow

I understand your logic here, but I tend to somewhat disagree that this is helping Phoenix. I believe they WILL lose Dragic and they will DEFINITELY NOT make the playoffs this year, unless they are hoping for season ending injuries to either OKC or another of the top 7 teams in the West.

Dragics market for a deadline trade is much smaller because those teams will not be willing to give up much since he can sign with them or any other team in FA anyway. To me, Phoenix is losing trade value with each day that they wait. Them continuing to wait is a BAD gamble that either some big injuries happen, or there is a really dumb GM waiting to give them more than they should gets for Dragic expiring. Sure, both could happen, but it's not likely.

18. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yep. That's why I think we have to pull the trigger on a Dragic trade, unless the Rockets just want to punt (being a top 6 playoff team, but not winning a title) another two years waiting for 2016 FA.

Plenty of assets to trade for Dragic, more need than anyone with assets and a realistic shot at re-signing him and being a true contender. It just makes way too much sense not to get done, IMO.

19. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Sounds fair.

NOP pick + ny2nd/Capela + Papa+ Shved as a filler whom the Suns might actually be interested in

some useful pieces for them and set them up for future, if Dragic doesn't resign with us then we're screwed, but I guess that's the price for going all in this season.

I think the Lakers is a legitimate rival to land Dragic because I can see why the Suns covet Hill. The Lakers may also be willing to bid for him during the free agency.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member