1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rule V Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

I dunno, but it's got electrolytes.

2 people like this.
  2. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I think it was dumb to leave DDJ unprotected. Not saying he is a sure fire MLB starter, but considering how many trades the Astros pull off for "lottery ticket" types and high upside guys, letting one go for free doesn't make much sense. There must have been issues with work ethic or something else behind the scenes, but even then talent is talent and DDJ is still very young. Not a fan of this.

3. Nook

Nook Member

You answered your own question.

He doesn't work hard, he doesn't especially care and many scouts and coaches think he will never put forth the effort necessary to be good.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I wonder if Deshields may eventually try and return to football?

5. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Are you speaking from personal experience? I have heard a couple of scouts (always unnamed) have said this, but someone who saw him play said otherwise. I have heard nothing from coaches. Personally, I have no knowledge.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Quite a few people have said this. I've never got to see him play regularly, but typically when there's that much smoke, there's usually a fire.

Having said that, many players have been very successful with a less than stellar on field effort. Baseball isn't really an "effort" sport. But it would suggest he may not put in the hard yards to improve his game, and that is a problem.

Time will tell.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

so you really think he's going to stick at a MLer immediately? If he doesn't stick somewhere, the Astros can get him back. I think the Astros know he's not ready for the majors..

And I think if you say "it's dumb to leave ___ unprotected", you should follow up with whom you think should have been unprotected in his place...otherwise it's not really a solution. There's always a tradeoff

8. Nook

Nook Member

I have been blessed to be around and work with a number of athletes but I have never met DDJ. I have read a number of accounts of DDJ's issues and Keith Law (who I personally trust) has also told me that he has heard it from several scouts.

9. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

This is the only way that man should ever be referred to.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's got what plants crave.

1 person likes this.
  11. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

LJ Hoes? Maybe trading one of the many catchers we have? AS I mentioned, if he doesn't want to work hard at all and improve his game, then I'm less opposed to this and understand it more. Hopefully the Rangers return him and he gets a wake up call as someone

12. Buck Turgidson

They can also work out a trade allowing DD to go to the minors and the Stros get something back. Wouldn't be surprised if that's how it plays out.

13. vince

vince Member

I think the Astros will be waiting to take back Delino. I think they were banking on it from the start. Astros seem confident the are getting some of these players back.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Kiley McDaniel, Fangraphs' lead prospect guy, answered a couple of questions about DeShields in his recent prospect chat. He also backs up reports that Houston's current regime actually didn't like Deshields.

A couple of places had said 'low-effort' or 'bad-makeup' but he out and out says "Most scouts think he won’t but the tools are good enough to find out. HOU was sick of him."

15. msn

msn Member

Could something like this be a type of wake-up call to a player who's maybe had a bit of entitlement or relying on talent and not working hard? I wish DDJ all the best whichever organization he ends up playing ball with.

16. vince

vince Member

Delino in my opinion was turning the corner, then he got beamed in the face. I've read how such an incident can hamper a players confidence for the rest of their career. Some never recover their confidence.

I really thought that Delino was going to be a part of the future of this team. His speed was so intriguing! But with Altuve becoming a hitting machine with solid defense at 2nd base, I'm glad the Astros went his direction.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Listening to the Crawfish Boxed Podcast this morning, one of the guys on there didn't think Deshields could start in AA or AAA for the Astros in the outfield.

Aplin, Santana, and Tucker seem set for AAA.
    Hernandez and Phillips are set for AA in RF and CF. They discussed that Kemp may be put in left to develop more roster flexibility. Danry Vasquez is also an option for left at AA.

I think the Astros would find room for Deshields in left, but it is odd looking at how far down the OF ladder he is if he gets returned.

1 person likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is not a slam dunk that DDJ would be starting.

Something to consider is that the odd man out in the OF could DH or the OFs could take turns at DH. That might give them some wiggle room.

IIRC Kemp played OF in college and is switching back to the OF this coming year in AA. Between Kemp and DDJ, I would not take at bats away from Kemp.

Given the crowded Astros AA and AAA, I would not be surprised if DDJ gets traded to the Rangers instead of being returned.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not as excited about the OF prospects as some, but the Astros do have a lot of guys that have a chance.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Current Spring stats:

DeShields: <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fminors%2Fplayer.cgi%3Fid%3Ddeshie002del&div=div_batting_st"></script>

Gustave: <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fminors%2Fplayer.cgi%3Fid%3Dgustav001jan&div=div_pitching_st"></script>

Rollins:<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fminors%2Fplayer.cgi%3Fid%3Drollin001dav&div=div_pitching_st"></script>