1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His OPS+ last year was 102; which is right at league average. His OPS of .700 ranked 20th among 3B. He was better in 2013 - but not as good as 2012. So that's a year-to-year decline and he's 31.

I'll gladly concede I underrated his defense (I tend to ignore it only because it's so difficult to truly qualify) but I think declaring "he hits plenty" is a bit of a reach.

Age is a gigantic factor for me; last year might be a fluke; perhaps he'll level off for a few years. But players generally don't get better as they age (again, he'll be 31 next season) which means $16MM might feel OK today (debatable, IMO) - but it sure won't in three years.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've said it is unlikely. So far, I've only heard the Astros were "spurned" by relief pitchers even though one gave the Astros some lip service. While I would not be up in arms about spending on relief pitchers what Miller and Robertson got, there is very little room for error in those deals. I doubt the Astros offers, if higher, were substantially higher.

3. Fantasma Negro

The Astros will sign Kyle Farnsworth, book it LoL

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How much do you think 1 WAR is worth?
    Do you think his off-season surgery before last season had anything to do with him sucking at the beginning of last year?
    How much WAR do you estimate him having each of the next 4 years?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It was around average, but he also got off to a terrible start and dealt with some injuries. He especially took off after being traded. He has enough history to say he is an above average offensive player. He actually had the highest line drive percentage of his career. I don't think he is in decline, so much as he had a down year, and was still valuable.

Age 31-34 wouldn't scare me away. Of course, some players do lose it earlier than others, and health always seems to play a bigger factor after 30.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chase Headley has a .799 career OPS on the road (.285/.359./.440), which is much better than average. PetCo has really held his numbers down. On top of that he is a really solid glove man.

There was nothing in his peripherals to suggest last season was the beginning of a decline, in fact his LD% was the highest of his career but his BABIP was was a career low. Ultimately I think he wants to go to a contender, but I would love for the Astros to get him.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Lol splash

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> making LJ Hoes available in trades as they search for relief help.</p>&mdash; Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/542487498325127168">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros GM Jeff Luhnow was given extension in past year, the Chronicle has learned: <a href="http://t.co/NoPpC75CMj">http://t.co/NoPpC75CMj</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/542490260643393537">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

astros have such an awkward way of going about their business...

so they don't announce a GM's contract extension when it occurs, and the GM won't comment on it?

they are freaking weird.

10. 713

713 Member

Reds are shopping Aroldis Chapman. Assblows should throw the kitchen sink.

11. Storm the Field

When asked for comment by Drellich and JJO, Luhnow reportedly responded with a question of his own:

[​IMG]

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow on taking player in Rule 5: &quot;I'm not sure we're in a position to use that 25th spot for someone that isn't helping us win games.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/542515503432867841">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros, in pursuit of a reliever, talked to the Nats about Tyler Clippard. At last check, those discussions didn't get far.</p>&mdash; Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamKilgoreWP/status/542515809352814592">December 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

13. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I swear I hate this dumbass organization. Seeing the Cubs rebuilder quicker than us when they have been bad also is ****ing BS. They got their ace now

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

They have the resources that we lack. Honestly, I blame Drayton for a lot of this.

15. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

I wonder whose fault is that? :rolleyes:
    Freaking pathetic. I still like our future, but im so jealous of the cubs right now it's not even funny.

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Seems we're closing in on Pat Neshek.

17. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

we need a full time closer...not some 34 year older reliever even though he is good. if we miss out on romo and gregerson imma be pissed

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Neshek should be cheap, we will likely go after another reliever to be the closer. Have a Neshek/Qualls/______ backend.

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not too interested in Romo, but I'd love Gregerson.
    Where are the sources that we are closing in on Neshek?

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Crasnick said that Neshek is getting close to making a decision and we are one of the teams in on him.