1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On like Donkey Kong: Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

so you're both big hypocrites, congrats

though his hypocrisy is like changing the nation (for the better)

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Read David Card.

You haven't considered at all how "illegal immigrants" empowered to consume and create new jobs through entrepreneurship and their own work will shift aggregate demand curve to the right, creating a better economy with more jobs (bah Economics 101 bullcrap) if you're going to use that simplistic framework.

Wages and jobs aren't zero-sum, btw, that's why we have this whole trickle-down clusterf**k of logic.

Immigrants are a self-selecting group of strivers who have often gone through desperate conditions to reach a better future for their families. They're exactly the type of people you want to kick out of a nation of immigrants.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Obama is scheduled to do this public appearance thing at Del Sol High School here in Vegas...which is right across the street from where I work. I can practically see parking lot from my desk. It is turning into quite a circus outside as the right and left crazies are out bantering their drivel back and forth.

I hate politics...and try to avoid them like the plague...but in this case, I wanted to participate. I had an idea to make a sign and go out and preach my message. On one side of my sign, I'd have "STOP THE FLOP"...and the other side it would say "OBAMA...END NBA FLOPPING". For heaven's sake...someone needs to address the important things in our society!

1 person likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes... except the President, who actually gets to execute many of the powers of his office on his own. That was kinda the point of vesting the executive office into a single person instead of a group of people like the judiciary and the legislative bodies -- that the executive could move quickly and decisively to fulfill its responsibilities.

If the President didn't have the power to lead government agencies as he saw fit, a Congressional vote would have been required on executive orders. They're not.

It feels like the two sides on this are talking past each other. These illegal immigrants aren't new and are already in the workforce. And, their presence in the workforce is already depressing wages because they operate from a very weak negotiating position where employers can actually pay less than minimum wage. Without a threat of deportation, they can ask for more money and depress wages less.

I think it is also true that there is a class of low-skill, low-pay jobs that won't hire illegals aliens. That applicant pool will get bigger with illegal immigrants with work permits. That might take wages from slightly above minimum wage to minimum wage. I don't think the best solution to that problem is to continue to break up families and leave millions of people living in distress over their legal status. I think increasing the minimum wage is a simpler solution. I think investing more in education and in job training, and especially in at-risk minority communities would also be better.

Sounds like illegal immigration is also a good example, seeing as we have a backlog of 11 million lawbreakers.

5. False

False Member

So here is the plan:

http://www.uscis.gov/immigrationaction

The expansion of DACA is pretty interesting as DACA used to require you to be born after June 15, 1981. With that upper age limit gone, a lot of people who barely fell out of DACA requirements can now make it in. Not only that but the continuous residence requirement has been changed so that you need continuous residence from 01/01/2010 when previously it had been 06/25/2007. Of note regarding the decision to push back the cut-off to01/01/2010 and not go further is that Obama likely does not want to be accused of extending this to the influx of unaccompanied alien children. The time frame for implementation is approximately 90 days.

The second proposed change is really what everyone expected and I hope it withstands scrutiny as it will benefit a lot of families where individuals have mixed status. Requirements are continuous residence since 01/01/2010, being a non-priority for enforcement (so not a threat to national security or public safety), and requiring that the person have a USC or LPR child born on or before November 20, 2014.

Unfortunately for many people there is no practical way to get status in this country and they have been waiting and waiting for years for something, anything. For example say a person who entered the country illegally at age 16 in 1989 and then left in 2000 for a short trip and then returned illegally. They would be subject to the permanent 10 year bar. They have been SOL even if they were married to a United States Citizen they had United States Citizen children. Situations like this don't just punish the undocumented person - they negatively impact the lives of United States Citizens. This change would at least let them breathe a little easier and finally get access to work authorization and a drivers license. The time line for implementation for this is naturally a bit longer with the estimate being 180 days. This will give Congress the ability to pass a bill doing away with these benefits if they so wish (though Obama would possibly veto if they did manage to pass it).

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I agree, this is one of the primary reasons that our immigration laws need to be completely overhauled. Sadly, the party you support has chosen not to do anything at all even though more than 70% of Americans think that immigration policy needs either a serious overhaul or a complete rebuild.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That's for lack of will/effort though.

There is a long history of countries controlling their own borders.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

As it relates to border control, the laws are quite adequate.

They just aren't being enforced.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Bull****. Obama has overseen a dramatic increase in border security and an unprecedented level of deportations. Why do you keep believing crap that just isn't true?

10. rudan

rudan Member

Obama is not fixing any problems, just opening the door for more problems in the future. Easy solution would be to give blanket amnesty and close the border(with guns blazing). Closing the border to illegals is the only ideal solution to stop the problem. Shielding 5 million immigrants doesn't solve the problem, just kicks the can down to future presidents. This issue will always be there, as long as the US is a better place to live than the places down south.

Nothing has changed under the Obama/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Reagan immigration "reform" and I doubt Hillary and/or Jeb will fix anything in the future.

11. Major

Major Member

Interesting again. So let's say you have a police department of 10 officers. And suddenly there is a crime wave of theft and murder. The police can't handle all of it, so they pursue the murders first. You believe this should not be allowed? Or that theft should then be made legal?

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, the FIFO method of law enforcement is what he's endorsing.

Commodore: SLOGAN - oh noes, this makes no sense, OTHER SLOGAN! oh noes that's dumb too VIDEO THEN SLOGAN all is right with the world

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what bothers me the most in all of this. The GOP has made it clear from the first week after Obama was first elected that priority #1 was to make Obama fail. Not to govern. Not to get compromise or get the GOP platform adopted by Obama, but to make him look weak, to break him.

An historic number of filibusters and historical level of pure obstruction in Congress, yet still, we pretend like every issue that comes up is really subject to a political debate. Maybe by the chattering classes and maybe by very thoughtful individuals (like many on this board). But not by political leadership and their cheerleaders.

Congress could have long addressed this problem. And for a moment Congress tried. But the GOP instead opted to not hand the Democrats and Obama a perceived victory in handling immigration and, in turn, the Latino vote. So Obama goes it alone: in the face of repeated accusations and complaints that he hasn't come through on campaign promises, and we get what Republicans have promised all along: push back and obstruction.

I think that it would have been a good move for Obama to try to push another bill, let the GOP kill that bill and then go with executive action. If only just to remind the news cycle or demonstrate to the public what he is dealing with in the other party. But let's face it. He could offer a bill straight off the Heritage Foundation website and from Republican presidential speeches only to see the bill get crushed in Congress, and still, the news cycle would be that Obama didn't compromise.

I just want to see the GOP bill. If they want to make this into the death of the nation, then present your bill. Make Democrats hash it out with you.

14. JuanValdez

I totally agree that it's a lack of will. We have whole industries relying on legislation without enforcement so that they can exploit an immigrant workforce. How can we have a working system like that?

15. Major

Major Member

There are limited resources in government. What should be prioritized less in order to priorize border control more?

16. JuanValdez

It's just time isn't on his side now. He only has 2 years now for his executive order to render any benefit for mixed-status families. If he delayed on executive action, Congress would drag it out as long as possible and each passing day would make executive action less worthwhile. Once you get down to under a year, there's no point in doing anything. No illegal immigrant would volunteer for a work permit knowing the next president might use that information against him months later. When it's 2 years, people might make the calculation that the order will be harder to reverse, or that legislation will save the day, or that they have enough time to get the benefit they need before Homeland Security comes knocking. It'd have been even better a few months ago.

I also think that the more republicans don't like it, the more efficacious it must be. I think they don't want Obama to do this because they don't want to have to pass a bill on it. They wanted to let it languish in the halls of Congress for as long as possible. Now, they'll have to do something. Even if what they do is dumb or petty or vicious, they have to do something, or be accused of being soft on Obama. I worry that they'll do all 3 of those things but I believe the political process will work it out once the gears can move again.

1 person likes this.
  17. JeffB

Supporting Member

This is a major problem that any immigration plans have to confront. Aren't tomato farmers notorious for even going so far as musing middlemen to recruit illegal immigrants to work their farms?

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/alabama-immigration-law-causing-produce-to-rot-in-the-fields/

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/08/14118...-really-function-without-undocumented-workers

http://cis.org/AmericanLaborMarket%26Immigration

The demands of the purchasers of labor in the labor market run counter to what we generally want in our labor laws. It is gonna take some serious will and commitment to change things and to adjust to whatever new economic reality follows the enforcement of new immigration laws.

18. JeffB

Supporting Member

Vey fair and astute points all around. I completely agree. I took for granted the timing necessary to deal with congress and the practical implications timing has on the implementation of any new policy.

And it has been pretty clear since wining the Senate the GOP is in the difficult position of being expected to do something and they need some narrative, some cover, for the fact they have strong incentives to prevent the wheels of government from turning.

19. returningfan

returningfan Member

Something that bothers me about illegal immigrants - why have so many children?

You know - "When in Rome" - (although Rome and Catholicism may be partially to blame).

You come to a country that is great - make a note that this country has - what - an average of two kids per family? And you have ten? While in your home country and here?

The US is supposed to take care of all these children - that will grow up and have ten children?

That is such a drain on resources.

Then want to bring the whole extended famned damily here.

Mexico is a failed county. Too many people - not enough jobs.

So they come here - and Texas and more states will end up like Mexico?

Too many people - not enough jobs - straining resources.

Coming here and having ten children gives a bad impression - for starters.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jobs up the assignment and gasoline 2 bucks a pop. What a successful president.