1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] James Harden's improved sleight of hand fueling the undefeated Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ParaSolid, Nov 5, 2014.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

While this is true as seen by swinging your arms up through the defender is no longer a shooting foul it is different with Harden. Yes he is looking for the fouls but the defenders are clearly slapping at his arms when he is going for the layup so it would be hard to justify not calling those fouls when they are clearly shooting fouls. If it was so easy other players would do it, but thats what is so special about Harden is the lack of other players able to mimic his style and be effective with it.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Harden's ability to generate fouls on the other team is highly dependent on his strength. His sweep up with the ball depends on his power to hold onto the ball through contact and still get the shot up. Weaker players lose control of the ball low, where the refs cannot see what happens. Harden controls the ball throughout the contact, and therefor it is impossible for the refs not to call a foul. Most players cannot hang onto the rock when closely guarded and fouled low by a 250 pound power forward.

I still have not been able to decide how much of Harden's new found defensive acumen is due to Harden, and how much is due to the presence of Ariza.

3. NotChandlerParsons

I honestly don't care either way. I still don't think he's a good individual defender but we can paper over that. The real problem is when he gives up after being screened once or twice and just watches the ball.

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

HOWARDS bad free throw shooting is an advantage to us IMO. People will hit him. Hard. Especially if he has the ball down low. He gets players in foul trouble and when that happens, harden drives in and gets them in even more foul trouble. If not that, they'll back off and we get easy lay-ups. This team can be unstoppable the way it's set up right now. Just need to stay hot.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Kevin Martin was severely impacted by the rule change regarding flopping. He used to make a living at the line back in the halcyon days of flailing, yelling or falling at the slightest touch. Sometimes, he didn't even need to be touched, just needed to be at the right angle from the ref. I for one am glad that Harden is no flopper. His approach to drawing fouls is a lot more elegant.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

On the whole, the rate increased, yes. But defense is much tighter and more physical in the playoffs using the eye test. So is the swallow the whistle perception because it takes more contact to get a call in the playoffs, but there is just so much more contact that the overall numbers don't bear that out?

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

We're sort of like OKC v2.0 with the foul drawing.

8. Remii

Remii Member

A ridiculous statement isn't knocking Harden... Yea he goes to the line a lot but he also puts dudes on skates a lot and hit em with the step back J and run the offense and set up his teammates. And Wade's first championship being tarnished is just your opinion and probably 5 other people's at the most.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To give cush on the Parsons hate, Harden did decide to play some serious defense. How well would Ariza and Pap fair if they also had to cover Harden's man?

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Remember when we got Kevin Martin? Morey also trumpeted that he had a high TS% and gets to the FT line a lot.

Who knew that would only be the dress rehearsal to Harden's coming? In fact, we traded KMart along with others to get Harden. Harden is the living embodiment of Morey's offensive philosophy.

And he's more deadly now because he's the true PG and he's embraced playing defense as well. Actually it seems easier for him now because he has running mates beside him--Ariza, Bev, Terry, Papa, Canaan. Dwight and TJones anchor the middle. I think Dorsey is picking up his game as well.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

How can you not foul him? He barrels right at you, then changes direction at will, or separates from you with his stepback. You have to do something or else your coach will fault you for letting him score without resistance.

Now he has added a post-move. And the team roster is tailor-made for him and Dwight.

12. baubo

baubo Member

If the NBA changes the rules where Harden's fouls stop being fouls, then Dwight Howard would instantly become the best player in the NBA. Either way, Rockets can benefit.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You must have been living in a cave all these year. :eek:

14. Man

Man Contributing Member

It was pretty hard for our team to do much of anything offensively at times against the Blazers. Harden seemed to be MIA for about 4.5 of the games.

15. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

but but carl herrera said we should trade him!

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's not what was changed, what was changed was sweeping the arms through side to side, if your arms are going up its a shot. As for other players, hell Jodie Meeks was starting to do it last season, and i've noticed this draft class are carrying it a little, lol.

17. matty101

matty101 Member

Rocket Science.

1 person likes this.
  18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Karl Malone is currently the alltime leader for FT in the NBA. Moses Malone, Bryant, Oscar, and Jordan round out the top 5. Getting to the line not only helps shooters get into a rhythm, but its free points without having to be contested. Nothing wrong with living at the Line. James Harden's way of attacking the rim forces players to foul across his arm. If that is happening 10 times a game, and the refs calls it a minimum of 6 times...he gets 12 FT attempts per game.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Without checking the stats, I'm tempted to argue they those fouls are due to the fouling of Howard. Didn't Howard go to the line pretty often in that series? Definitely seemed like harden didn't get to the line very often.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I think losing in the 1st round twice, along with winning the FIMA has mature Harden and his game a lot. Looking at these first 5 games I can tell the team is focused and the chemistry is already on point. Harden is playing solid defense and is picking his spots to take over on offense.

As far as his knack to draw fouls is a thing of beauty. I mean he would get on my nerves if I was playing him. In my mind I would be thinking, " How in the world can I stop this joker". He hits you with the Euro step, then he barrels right through you and finally hits you with the step J. His handles are remarkable and he rebounds the ball. What more can you ask for in an elite baller.

For that poster that thinks if Harden win a championship, it will be tarnished because of the way he draw fouls. Bro I can guarantee you he wouldn't give a bleep what anybody says. Nor would anybody on this team. LOL