1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot Deal Comcast Free Upgrade to Extreme Internet

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by AMS, Feb 26, 2014.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Time Warner's Free Upgrade in Austin.
    I got upgraded to 200mbps down / 20 up.

[​IMG]

:eek:

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm so jealous of Austin right now. I have been renting a DOCSIS 2.0 modem from Comcast, getting 36 mbps. I recently bought a new modem (ARRIS TM822G) and expected it to be around 50 mbps, it shot up to 97. I also got a new router from NewEgg (NETGEAR R6200) and my wifi on my Nexus 5 went from 21 mbps to 71 on 5GHz.

3. RedRedemption

Whenever Google Fiber or AT&T gigapower eventually comes to Houston, Comcast engineers will perform some magic and you will see 10x speeds overnight!

This is a beginning of a nationwide upgrade of broadband infrastructure and it is glorious.

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Which one will finish first --- Google Fiber's infrastructure setup in Houston or Da1's Dream Light Rail transit?

5. RedRedemption

World War 3.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Quick question. I'm paying 56 dollars for AT&T DSL and are getting piss poor speed.

I'm leaning towards Comcast Internet, but I don't know much about what's available. Is there a good deal that's cheaper than that 56? I only need internet though.

Will rep.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We got the $60 deal for cable and internet.

I'm getting 50 mb/s down.

After all said and done, I pay $100 for the whole month due to the modem & router combination and the he dvr setup plus tax.

So Comcast's 50 mb internet should net you $30, cheaper than your current one.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Screw you autocorrect!

I should proofread before I post.

-.-

9. RedRedemption

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yeah, 50mb (was upgraded to 100 for free) is $29 a month for me. No contract.

The lady at xfinity store location told me to come back to her next year for another discount after the 1 yr promo price ends.

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Interesting. I have Comcast internet and TV. I cant wait for comcast sports net to dissolve so that i can move over to att and get their low price.

BUt all in all if Comcast continues to give me a good deal, I would stay with them. I was at 25mbps but i get about 45mbps on wireless now. So I guess I was upgraded.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

bump

i actually saw the speed upgrade/promotion on my bill for august and wondered if it would still work. Unplugged the modem/router and speed went from 25 to almost 60. Seems it only went up for stuff plugged up through ethernet because the speed stayed the same over wifi

13. RedRedemption

Yup. Speed of wifi will always be slower than ethernet.
    Depending on your device's wireless capabilities and your router (mostly the bottleneck is going to be the wireless device in terms of speed cap; ignoring the range and strength of your wifi signal outputted and how your house/apartment is structured).