1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about accutane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GreatOne1978, Jul 17, 2014.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Anyone been on this? Im in month 2 of the 6 month treatment and man Im experiencing severe mood swings, spacy, talking to myself a lot...I knew about these side effects in detail before I started taking the treatment but last couple of weeks has been a bit of struggle with anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. Should I suck it up and finish the course? You know accutane is pretty much the last resort

2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Oh yea Im having trouble concentrating at work...losing a bit of interest in socializing and working out/what not.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

There's a signed Parson jersey for sale in the classifieds. Just trying to help.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

6. no_answer

no_answer Member

Talk to your doctor.

7. body slam

body slam Member

^^^this^^^

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Used accutane when I was in my teens...never had any of your listed side effects. I did get awesome clear skin...which allowed me to look fantastic when be rejected by the hotties. OH YEAH BAY-BEE!!! I never looked so good in rejection!!! :)

Honestly...never experienced anything negative when taking it.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This an acne medication? Unless you're treating a lethal skin disease, I don't see how it's worth suffering the side effects.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I once thought about using acne treatments, but some of the side effects could affect kidneys or liver. I'm just lucky I don't break out as much as I used to.

Get a doctor and slowly ramp down the accutane treatments. Do not immediately stop as your body could react with blowback if you quit cold turkey.

At the very least contact your physician for stopping treatment or even a pharmacist if you can't get a consult or an immediate face to face.

11. Bob Barker 007

One thing I can tell you about Accutane and other acne medications is that they cause an excess of Vitamin A (a mild case of hypervitamintosis A). This excess leads to symptoms similar to what you are describing, including irritability, changes in consciousness (spacey), and fatigue. Have you experienced hair loss or blurred vision? Those are probably the most common symptoms. One way to counteract the Vitamin A is to take Vitamin E. Also, you can go to a nutrition store and buy Omega-3/Omega-6 (as mentioned above), as well as selenium and chromium, and stay off Accutane.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ If you truly suspect excess Vitamin A, forget the nutrition store and get your a$$ to the doctor! Liver damage is a potential outcome!

13. Bob Barker 007

no no no no. this is not an emergency situation. The levels are elevated due to a dose that is too high. Go to the doctor and lower the dosage, or remove yourself from it and use supplements instead.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Here I thought excess fatty based vitamins were stored in the liver. How much is an overdose level and how long would it take taking in Accutane would achieve that?

Well OP, you just opened the WebMD book of horrible deaths and are probably scared ****less now. Hopefully your appointment's already set.

15. yo

yo Contributing Member

I take it you've never suffered from acne.

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

i took it as a teenager. I had mood swings as well, probably partly from the medicine, partly from being a teenager. the side effects suck, but it got rid of the acne.

If your side effects are severe, you should probably talk to your doctor instead of a rockets message board.

17. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Blood tests came out normal. Just the mood swings. I cannot afford that, Im a teacher Im in front of hundreds of kids every day and Im trying to just suck it up till DEC. Seriously considering getting off the meds but ugh it will return.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Never had any weird side effects just dry skin. Take vitamin b for that...but yeah you should probably talk to your doctor

19. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I never had those side effects. Was on it for 6 months. I would talk to my doctor if I were you.

20. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I took it when it was still in clinical trials. I stopped a month short of finishing the treatment because I had many side effects. Hard to say on the mood swings because I had those anyway at that age but I had many physical side effects, like severely infected cuticles on my hands. It also caused abnormal nail growth on my feet, causing me to get ongoing ingrown toenails. It truly sucked.