1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to sign Joey Dorsey to a two-year, $2 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Asik played a lot more games than Dorsey and was a rotation player right from the beginning. Dorsey bounced around with spot minutes.

I hope he really has improved in Europe. What he did in the NBA was very poor.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hopefully he allows dmo to get more minutes at the four which is where he should be playing.

3. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I'm fine with it. But just don't understand why we don't sign proven veterans.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are expensive and will want more than one or two year deals and that's all we're offering.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They are still better than the Joey Dorsey's of the world.
    This philosophy of extreme cost restriction is harming us.

6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

We tried with Mike Miller, offered more money, chose the Cavs for obvious reasons...

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Morey wants cap space for next free agency so we can whiff on those free agents again. Then we're going to do it again in 2016. Morey has his sights set on third star and will get burned season after season until he acquires that third star or watches the stars we already have leave.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is to say that Morey didn't reach out to any of them and offered them a fair market price contract? Free agents are free to choose, they are not merchandise that you can buy off the shelf just because you have money to spend.

Some of them may have weighed HOU's offer and chosen to go elsewhere, others may still be deciding.

Given that Dorsey and Adrien signed for the minimum, the Rockets have not expended any precious resources on them and still have all their tools (MLE, BAE, TPE) with which to explore landing more valuable and more expensive players. There's nothing preventing them from pursuing another free agent big man just because Dorsey and Adrien are in the fold.

1 person likes this.
  9. bball1217

bball1217 Member

THIS! Our situation has not changed after the signing of these guys. Low-risk signings. We still have resources to add proven veterans as needed.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Btw here's Joey Dorsey's Per 36 stats for FC Barcelona:

Points per game: 12.7 on 67% shooting.
    Rebounds per game: 14.2 (5.52 offensive rebounds per game)
    Blocks per game: 2.64

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well obviously, but they don't intend on Joey Dorsey really helping the team, they just need bodies and cheap short contracts that will be gone by the time we need cap space.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

wow, time flies. i hope he can do well for us.

13. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I actually like this signing!

14. dmoneybangbang

Good cheap signing at a position of need, low risk, moderate reward. Twist on Spurs-esque type of move in acquiring a player that has several years each of NBA and Euroleague experience. Hopefully, he'll have matured a bit and understand the nature of the game and will be able to carve out a niche role off the bench.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel if someone can't help us, they shouldn't be here. We just can't wait until we have cap room. Our opponents are strong. The Rockets are under a lot of pressure to perform well on the court.

A large part of the reason why no significant free agent chose us was due to our collapse down the stretch. It was no surprise that Portland knocked us out.

I would be very happy if Dorsey could prove me wrong.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why wouldn't Dorsey be able to help? Are people assuming he's the same player who left?

I think that's naive. He has lots more experience as a pro in big leagues, has probably matured as a person. My issue with him is that he still can't hit a FT, but at $1m for a 3rd string C can you ask for more than rebounding, shotblocking and putbacks?

That contract will help is in trades too. I'm happy to have the guy.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

<iframe width="480" height="330" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xSLdJeTDuBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back in the days ...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

FC Barcelona got themselves some nice looking jerseys

19. errpac

errpac Member

Well in the past what's worked best with d12 is having a stretch 4.

20. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Dorsey wouldn't be playing with Dwight. He'd be his backup.

I actually really like the signing. Dorsey is a proven defender, got some much needed experience and confidence-building in Europe and now we'll see if he's ready to contribute with the big boys. As a rebounder/defender, he's excellent. It'll be interesting to see if his offensive game has grown.

And for those asking for proven vets, what vet out there is going to sign for $1 mill/year for 2 years? This is a bargain deal.