1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody have the Big Green Egg?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

http://flic.kr/p/ogj2HD

Next you need a table. I bought a stainless steel prep table from a restaurant supply and had a whole cut in it and added casters. Turned out great.

#62 VooDooPope, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I grabbed mine today. I got it with everything I wanted and it cost me $1.5K. I could have maybe found it cheaper but screw it, I now have one! I cannot wait to fire this baby up! I also looked into Kamados but decided on the Egg. I'll gladly pay a few hundred more to have the lifetime warranty from a company that is 40 years old instead of 5.

VooDoo...you cut a hole in the table for the Egg to sit in? That is impressive. I got mine with the two shelves on it but I am thinking I'll need another surface as well.

4. Baba Booey

Just follow the smoke and bring the beer.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I have the Black Olive/ Black egg. It's half the price and identical

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

7. Baba Booey

Okay...I used my Egg all weekend. What a bad ass piece of equipment!

We did a test chicken (beer can style) Friday night just to get to know the Egg. We made multiple mistakes, but the chicken still came out great. It was so tender and flavorful. Yesterday, we did four racks of ribs. We ran into a few issues on the first set but they still came out amazing. The second set of ribs were possibly the best thing I've ever cooked. The crazy thing is that I know I can make ribs much better the next time. I have another beer can chicken in there right now that I expect to be much better than the first one.

Overall, I am absolutely thrilled with the Egg. The way it keeps the moisture in the meat and infuses flavors is amazing. I think I will end up buying an electric starter, though, just to make that part mindless.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That is a function of not overcooking it. It is capable of drying out your chicken just watch the temps and cook time.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

See my post above about the looftlighter. They rock. Doing pizzas on my egg this evening.

10. Baba Booey

I am probably going to get one.

The chicken I cooked tonight was really good again and full of juices, but I haven't gotten the skin right. Do you have any tips on getting the skin to be nice and crispy?

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Brush it with some melted seasoned butter the last 10 minutes or so when it's cooking has worked for me.

Once you learn about how long they take you'll know when to baste it at the end.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Dry the skin out completely. Using a rub will also help pull the moisture out via the dry ingredients. Use higher heat and shorter cooking time.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Second on the looflighter. Love it

14. Poloshirtbandit

I have one that I sorta inherited I guess but haven't used yet. This thread motivated me to try it.

15. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I've been wanting to get one for about a year, but can't where I live due to city fire codes. About four guys from my office each got one though and from trying their food, it is ridiculous.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Two words: Spatchcock Chicken Trust me on this.

1 person likes this.
  17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. Works well for Turkey also.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Anyone ever make a grilled cheese on one of these things? That will be the deciding factor for me on whether or not I'll pony up the $$$.

19. Baba Booey

That's how I normally cook chickens. I am going to do one this weekend on a bed of carrots, onions and celery then make a cream sauce with the drippings.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes. use direct heat, but in the higher grate position (i have a Kamado Joe.) ~45m at ~400. breast side up, and don't turn it.

comes out beautifully.