1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 in the 8:00am hour

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He didn't say it, but he is talking about adding a high contract player, one better than Parsons... so how can they do that if they have Parsons taking up such a huge part of the cap?

Morey said it in a nicer way, but basically he said he thinks he can get a better player than Parsons at that % of the cap ...... and I agree with him, but I understand it is a tough sell to the fans, especially after almost having the best team in the NBA with Bosh AND Parsons.

2. houactuar

houactuar Member

Morey did not f up big time. I'll tell you why they lost to Portland, because they did not have enough talent. Cp25 not bing a good wing defender is a reason they lost. All Morey could do was go after more talent like melo and bosh, he can't make them sign. How do you think he makes the team better. He got harden and Howard. How many lottery picks has he had to draft a Duncan or a Lebron or a Kobe?

You people are idiots for critiquing Daryl Morey. There is not a better gm in the league. He had us in position to be the best team but bosh went for money when Riley went all in and desperate after losing Lebron.

Daryl Morey drafted cp25. The only bad thing I would say about this weekend is dealing Lin because lakers forced him to. Also Cp25 put the team under the gun by signing so soon. dm only had 3 days to pull off a miracle and the agent put crap in the contract to make cp in tradable.

I liked lin ok, but the real loss for me is losing the draft picks. That's like losing another potential cp.

Cleveland may have a decent team only because they stank the last 4 years and got lucky lotto balls and now Lebron goes home. Is Miami better? Is Dallas better?

Go rockets!

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think playing at least 30 minutes a game is a reasonable requirement for being considered elite.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's dumb. They played less than 30 minutes because Pop chose for them to do that because their depth was so good.

5. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but where does this notion that you must have 3 elite players (read: max) to win come from? Seems like you need to go back and include the 80s for it to (barely) be the norm. So the 80s Celtics and Lakers had their 3 (don't think Worthy was around for the first few?). Then the Pistons? Don't tell me it was Lambeer. Then the Bulls? Horace Grant? Lol. We all know the Rockets didn't (and how we failed with two iterations of our big 3). Then the Bulls again, and I suppose The Worm was good enough to be it, but no one was tripping over themselves to give him the max. Then the Spurs*? Lakers? Pistons? Heat (first championship)? Lakers? Mavs? This year's Spurs?

So really it's only been the Spurs for a couple years (never repeated, and I don't think they were ever 3 max players), Celtics (one and done) and The Super Friends. How is it now The Rule you need to have 3 max players to have a shot at the title? Just because the Thunder couldn't get out of the conference? But look at who beat them.

Or is Morey saying our two need a third?

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do you think those guys would have been capable of playing 36+ minutes a game for an entire season like most "elite" players do if they had to?

7. houactuar

houactuar Member

Lin and Asik are hard to replace they were good bench players. But Lin was only ok on defense and he did turn the ball over. Didn't one of his turnovers cost us a game in Portland? We can be better next year by the playoffs. We can play better next year in the playoffs. I think we were better than Portland last year, we just didn't play better, they were hot at the right time. Sheet happens. The spurs went 7 games in the first round vs Dallas. I think we could have given the spurs a challenge too. Probably better than Miami did losing in 5 to the spurs. Miami losing in 5 shows me that bosh isn't that great. I'm kind of glad he is not a rocket.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

So mavs think a core of Harris, parsons, dirk and chandler is good enough.

We have Beverly, harden, ariza and Howard.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Of course they are aware of Harden's defensive lapses, Morey has never really said he was good defensively. All he has really said is that Harden has been unfairly singled out (and he is right; Parsons and Jones were as bad and Lin was poor as well).

I do not doubt the defense will be better, Ariza over Parsons is a huge upgrade and I expect another high value signing/trade to help defensively. The REAL question is how much is the offense now going to suffer without Parsons?

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Too many of you post statements with conviction but without enough understanding of a) salary structure b) optimization process c) decision analysis

And you are all blowing the "good teams find CP's, not pay them" waaaay out of proportion.

It's not said as an insult to the Mavericks, but as homage to a really good basketball organization in the Spurs.

Gather yourselves.

11. houactuar

houactuar Member

Our two may need a third. They are not Shaquille or Kobe or Lebron. They are top 10 but not top 3.

Really there is Lebron and Durant and then everyone else below them. Even Lebron did not win this year and Durrant hasn't won either. So yes, harden Howard and parsons could not get by Portland this year so yes they need more talent.

It is possible that maybe parsons could along with Troy Daniels, nick Johnson could have gelled, but parsons didn't want that, he wants to be the man in Dallas, his agent made his contract untradeqble. He was overpaid. So we move on. Life's a beach. Cp25 was a punk. He needs to party with beiber and mayweather.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It is not about simply losing Parsons, it is about the team to be bad than last year. You put all eggs on Bosh, but did not know if the Heats can afford a max, and the city is much better for living, and the team is still good without James. Stop dreaming a big three, a big two with great role player will lead a title under a good coach, which is why Parsons should be in the team.

13. houactuar

houactuar Member

It's both an insult to the mavs and a complement to the spurs.

14. houactuar

houactuar Member

Parsons contract precludes having enough other good role players. He's not a big three but wanted big three money which means the rest of team would suck.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He said it pretty convincingly in the 790 interview and multiple times in the 610 interview. Part of it is guide the fanbase to his vision, but you can't ignore some underlying vitriol if a GM makes a bold statement like that.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Love is most likely going to Cleveland, but to say the Rockets do not have assets isn't accurate. They have excellent cap flexibility at this point, the Pelicans pick and young players that teams want. Also, consider that elite players usually don't want to go to bad teams, that limits the trade market.

He told you why he would already be considering trading him, Morey doesn't think that he is a good enough #3 on a team to win a title.

We will see. We say a very small sample size.

To play the Devil's advocate, Ariza was as good offensively as Parsons last year. He was a better 3 point shooter and also hit a higher % on 2 point shots... his true shooting was an exceptional 59%.

Also, the Rockets are not finished.

17. houactuar

houactuar Member

Howard, ariza and bev are a good defensive core. Harden is a good offensive player, and ariza compliments him as a shooter. Howard gets his points.

Troy Daniels, nick Johnson, can provide a spark off bench. We will be good next year. And who knows what happens in playoffs.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bev and Ariza are not good. They are pretty replaceable players. Dirk, Ellis, and Parson are not a bad 3. Its really a 2 year deal. I think parson's opts out so it doesn't kill their flexibility. That is the thing really it was a 2 year deal and with the Ariza signing the rockets ability to sign a max went away so it really made sense to just keep parsons.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Morey:

'That's one of the key decisions we made and it almost paid off. If you know everything about how things are gonna play out then u might look at that decision differently. Alot goes into those decisions. Way more than people realize.'

Basically he kind of dodged but hinted at regretting it.

1 person likes this.
  20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I've been away from the BBS for a long time, and quite honestly I'm glad I did. The negativity in here is brutal. I'd say its about 75-25 negative to positive threads and comments.

You guys bash the hell out of Morey and the Rockets org. for things that are simply out of their hands. They had a deal in place for Bosh who gave them strong vibes that he was coming here. Then at the last hour, he does a 180 because he's P-whipped and cares more about money at this point than playing for a competitive team.

They also can't control Mark Cuban for making that ridiculous offer to Parsons that all but assured the Rockets wouldn't match. Again something out of their control.

What they did do is find a suitable replacement for Parsons in Ariza. Someone who defends better and has the same range as Parsons. I'd grade Parsons maybe slightly higher than Ariza overall, but defense is where we suffered the most last year and Ariza is clearly better than Parsons on that level.

So all in all, we about broke even with the Parsons/Ariza deal. Lost a streaky, turnover prone backup PG, and a serviceable big man in Asik.

I doubt Morey is done making moves, and I'm certain he will address PG and an additional big at some point.

Oh and we also gave ourselves leverage in 2015 with Ariza's contract - something that Parsons' would have severely limited us in our flexibility.

Has this offseason gone according to plan? Absolutely not. Were the scenarios that brought us to this point out of our control? Absolutely.

2 people like this.