1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs agree to multi-year extension with Gregg Popovich

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

2. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Why that greedy b*stard. How many championships does he need to have? :grin: I feel like he is the Ric Flair of coaches. Won't go out until his body cannot handle it anymore.

3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Sigh, you failed that. As Andrew Iguodala doesn't exist, and he was playing on it....

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That sound you might have heard was the City of San Antonio breathing a collective sigh of relief.

5. what

what Member

Greg Popovich is the greatest basketball coach in the history of the game.

Phil had tex winter.

he really is

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

until death separates Pop from them Spurs

7. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Straight hating man. Kawhi is tons better than andre iguodala. FMVP for godsake.

8. vneuro

vneuro Member

He has a shaky dribble and an above average post-up game against smaller guards. That doesn't scream franchise player to me.

At minimum, you'd expect a guard-sized "franchise player" to be able to penetrate effectively off the dribble. Leonard can't do that. How do you not already know this as a Spurs fan? It's evident to anyone who watches the game.

I guarantee he'll never break 20 PPG on 45%+ shooting as the main guy on the Spurs after Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are gone and most of the defensive attention is on him.

Paul George can't even manage that (21.7 PPG on a paltry 42.4% shooting) and Paul George is vastly more offensively gifted than Kawhi Leonard.

9. chandlerbang21

If they get gasol they will be unbeatable

10. vneuro

vneuro Member

Yeah the entire league better hope that doesn't happen. Can you imagine Gasol anchoring their 2nd team? What a luxury to be able to throw down to the post when things aren't going smoothly.

Hell, he could start next to Duncan as well. Gasol is versatile.

11. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I would be really surprised if Popovich coaches all the way through that contract. I always saw him as someone who would be more than willing to step away from basketball sooner than later.

12. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

If freaking Pop say's he's the face of the franchise, I'd tend to believe him. He sees the work Kawhi is putting in. There is more than ppq and shooting percentage(although I see kawhi hitting the 20ppg and 50% shooting in 3 years per36 because pop doesn't play guys big minutes except playoffs). Kawhi plays on both sides of the court. That's more than most stars nowadays.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Just a note, you DO realize that NOBODY on the Spurs averages 20ppg?

The 3 highest scorers on the Spurs last season...

Tony Parker - 16.7 PPG, 49.9% FG%
    Tim Duncan - 15.1 PPG, 49.0% FG%
    Kawhi Leonard - 12.1 PPG, 52.2% FG%

As for the 45%+ shooting, I'll take that bet any day of the week. The Spurs are the best in the NBA at creating open shots, and Kawhi scores a LOT at the rim (highest percentage shot in basketball).

Open shots go in at a rate approximately 12% higher than contested shots... IE, if you're a 40% shooter on a contested jumper, you'll hit 52% on an uncontested jumper over time.

Trying to compare numbers between players on the Spurs and any other team is a dodgy proposition. They're the ONLY team that plays every player less than 30 mpg. And they distribute shots more evenly than anyone else in the NBA.

And Paul George would be WAY better if he played on the Spurs and was able to fit into the Spurs system. Of course, whether he'd fit into the Spurs system is a discussion for another day...

14. conquistador#11

eh, he is just a coach right?

(damn you spurs so envious)

15. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Thanks man.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

f*** off

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

If Pop ever retires from coaching. I can see him in an administrative position for the Spurs. At that point, it may just be as bad as him coaching.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What's MOREY DOING????

/s

19. SPURS

SPURS Rookie

Chill the **** out.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pop is really starting to look like a zombie. :cool: