1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Four

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 5, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I really hate it when people use the Spoiler tag after an episode without clarifying if it contains information from a just-aired episode or something from the books.

2. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Pretty good final episode. There were a lot of deviations from the books, but most of them I didn't mind. The most surprising thing they left out was the final conversation between Tyrion and Jaime. I suppose they didn't want to overburden the scene, or they thought that it might have been too confusing.

3. dmoneybangbang

Haven't read the books but it seems Ayra has decided to become a faceless (wo)man.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Ok, this may be an odd time to ask this, but I am confused about something.

Wayyy back in Episode 1, Season 1, the very firstest thing we see is: Jon Arryn is dead. (sorry, don't know how to spell his name.)

Through the way the story is revealed from that point, we are led to believe that Cersei and Jaimie are responsible for his death, primarily if not solely Cersei. We are led and allowed to believe this for YEARS.

'Poison is a woman's weapon.' The fact that Ned Stark is apparently doomed once he begins to follow Jon Arryn's 'investigation' into Joffrey's lineage, and particularly from reading the old book about the Baratheon's.

In other words, the implicit understanding is that Jon Arryn was murdered because of what he knew about Joffrey's true parentage, and Ned Stark followed him down the same path all the way to the grave.

And that's all fine..

except, Littlefinger apparently had his creepy girlfriend, Jon Arryn's WIFE, kill Jon Arryn.

And yeah, at the time, I was like, ok, Baelish is really into the machinations thing, and it's little wonder that he had a hand in that one as well.

But wait..

If that was the case - and we have no reason to doubt it now - then WHY was Jon Arryn murdered? The implication now is that his murder had NOTHING to do with Joffrey's parentage. I mean, I can't think of any reason why Baelish would have Jon Arryn murdered simply because he suspected that Joffrey was not a true Baratheon and therefore not a true heir to the Iron Throne.

Was it as simple as.. Baelish knew Robert would call on Ned to become the new Hand once Jon Arryn was dead, and the plan was to have Ned get axed too somehow, tus leaving Catelin a widow, ripe for the picking?

If that's the case, I missed it where he said that specifically.

Or was there something else entirely?

Anyway, it just seems to me that the 'Baelish had Jon Arryn killed' thing sort of invalidates almost the whole first season's motivations, and I either missed something vital, or they just sort of swept this one under the rug.

Book reader: I am NOT asking for spoilers - if this is something which is addressed later, so be it. Or if there is a real explanation in the books somewhere, which would NOT spoil any future stuff, then maybe spoiler it here..

I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this and was confused by it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think Littlefinger's true motive was to off Jon Arryn so that Baratheon needs a new Hand, and Littlefinger guessed right that Baratheon would choose Ned Stark.

Littlefinger also put the idea that Joffrey wasn't a true heir so that Ned would investigate, getting him into trouble which eventually got him executed, and therefore starting another civil war. The new war is starting to off heirs to the throne so that somewhere down the line, Littlefinger can usurp the throne.

We know that's Littlefinger's endgame, and he's the type who would rather sit in the shadows and wait his turn without getting directly involved.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

^

Yeah, I thought it was just his way to set chaos in motion in efforts to eventually usurp the throne.

7. TheresTheDagger

Perhaps he was acting on the orders of the Lannisters. Perhaps he hoped he would be a candidate for Hand if he killed the current one. Perhaps he was concerned that Jon Arryn was getting too close to a secret about him or his complicity in keeping the Lannister secret.

Who knows? Its all conjecture. I haven't read past book 3 and don't have a clue why...

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Better off not knowing. It's half enjoyable coming into this thread...

9. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Yeah especially since Lena Headey gave us the clue about her, was totally expecting it too...

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fuggin grantland spoiled the finale for me with this tweet

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It was an eventful Father's Day in Westeros. Watch this video if you've seen tonight's finale: <a href="http://t.co/nvBRmwGS90">http://t.co/nvBRmwGS90</a></p>&mdash; Grantland (@Grantland33) <a href="https://twitter.com/Grantland33/statuses/478387355699916801">June 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The tweet contained the thumbnail for their stupid a$$ video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2L-S3xUlkQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Otherwise it was a solid episode, but felt weaker than previous seasons

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

why would you go on social media before you watch anything popular?

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I enjoy having my twitter feed going while I watch games. Being able to see other peoples reactions is part of the experience.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the children of the forest scene was a little over the top with magic. They shouldn't of had the little kid throw magic fireballs.

14. Relentless

Relentless Member

"shouldn't have" you imbecile

15. Pete the Cheat

did Bran and his crew ever encounter wights or white walkers during their voyage to find the 3 eyed crow?
    they had run ins with wildlings and the desserters...but I don't ever recall them encountering anything supernatural until they got ambushed by skeletons...
    seems odd considering they just hiked in to the north, where there is an army of the undead mounting in their midst?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I thought the stuff with Varys was awesome. He has been a consistently great character. The look on his face when he turns back to the Red Keep and hears the bells was so well done.

We'll have to see what happens going forward. Tywin and Joffrey were the best heels the show had and both are dead now. Oberyn was quickly becoming a real fan favorite and he's gone.

There aren't a lot of characters left that really get an emotional reaction from me.

17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I did the same freaking thing... ahhh

18. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Yeah, seriously man. isn't that what the other thread is for? One of the posters mentioned an acronym of a future crucial character that I ended up googling because I didn't know which character he was talking about. I regret it so badly. :(

19. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Am I the only one who didn't buy into Shae's betrayal? All along, she wanted to be with Tyrion and even when he told her that she will be set for life, she didn't want to leave him. How dumb could she be to really believe Tyrion didn't want her? If she was really just a "wh0re", she would've been happy to be set for life as Tyrion had said.

Book readers, does the book detailed the same way for Shae's character as the TV show and did she met the same demise? Please spoil this answer so that it wouldn't ruin it for the people who wants to read the book later.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You're assuming she's rational.