1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Declining Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed that this points to him staying

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

If we bring a max player and we sign Parsons,
    can the rockets still use the MLE?

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Looks like the only way we bring in a max player is through trade, so we'd keep the MLE but IMO it's very unlikely that we trade for a max guy and not include Parsons.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston had planned for at least a year to use this free agency schedule with Parsons: <a href="http://t.co/JhjybOlbdC">http://t.co/JhjybOlbdC</a></p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/statuses/474033445467721728">June 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ahh... ok I get ya. I thought you were insinuating a S&T for a guy like Lowry. Makes sense now.

6. solodolo

solodolo Member

I'm so confused Lmfao . & scared :(

7. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

This seems like an ill-advised move. By not picking up the option, teams with cap room like the Bucks and the Lakers are going to bid up Parsons at a level that Houston will not be able to match without essentially losing flexibility to make a big trade for that illusive third star. For Houston to engineer a trade for a star like Love, Melo or Rondo, Parsons will have to be included in the trade along with Lin and Asik. Those options work under Parsons' current salary because Lin's and Asik's salaries are sufficient to offset the incoming salary of a star player. If Parsons is also at that level or higher, then Houston will not be able to easily make a 3 player trade. No one is trading Love, Melo or Rondo for 2 of those 3 players. Teams will want all 3 plus a draft pick.

8. mortorano927

mortorano927 Member

what about the sixers for a possible landing spot for asik/lin? morey has a great relationship with hinkie and they have plenty of cap space to take on their contracts

9. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

There would be no scenario where the Rockets traded Parsons for Melo in the first place. Melo is a free agent so Morey could simply dump salaries and sign him.

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

$12-13 million is ridiculous for Chandler. I'd rather let him walk.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

There is obviously something that the front office knows that we don't. I think they know who wants to come here.

12. jvu

jvu Member

Agreed much like the contract we pulled on Lin/asik.. He gone

1 person likes this.
  13. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Welcome aboard.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...o-show-hand-for-free-agency-plans/#23623101=0

#154 J.R., Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually I don't think so at all. I think its genius if I read between the lines of what they are trying to do.

Try to stay with me here-

If the goal really is a true free agent (like Melo, or if Lebron decides to opt out), putting Parsons in RFA locks him out of S&T talks to move the deal forward. The other team knows that Parsons is not able to be part of a S&T due to CBA rules. The S&T package is crystal clear, and its a take it or leave it scenario (as long as the Rockets have leverage with another team willing to take back Lin & Asik for assets).

This gives the Rockets the ability to maximize the talent of their core without losing a major piece like Parsons, and it also gives them the ability to say "screw the salary cap" by matching Parsons' offer after they made a S&T or signed out-right a guy like Melo. At that point salary cap flexibility doesn't really matter and its all about what Les has the means to pay for.

If Les doesn't want to pay that kind of payroll, there are plenty of software CEO's out there that just paid 2 billion dollars for the Clippers & 2 all stars. You'd have to think that a team with 3 all-stars in Houston can at least fetch half of that even being in Houston.

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

What is going on?!?!?!?

Loud noises!!!

17. Mr. Clutch

Tinfoil hat time

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So by my Rocket's salaries spreadsheet:

If the Rockets:

Scenario 1 - Baseline, requires no trades. (Unlikely, but just shows flexibility)
    -Waive Casspi and Covington
    -Stretch Asik and Lin
    -Decline team options on Jones and Motiejunas
    -Trade away first round pick for non guaranteed seconds

The Rockets will have 11.9 million in cap room

Scenario 2
    -Stretch Lin
    -Trade Asik for no salary
    -Decline team options on Jones and Motiejunas
    -Trade away first round pick for non guaranteed seconds

The Rockets will have 14.7 million in cap room

Scenario 3 - What I would do and what I suspect Morey will do
    -Trade Lin, Dmo and our pick for cap space
    -Trade Asik for no salary

The Rockets will have 16.4 million in cap room

The way the money works out, it looks like we might have priced ourselves under Melo's salary but well into Stevenson, Deng, Lowry territory.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

So basically this is a good sign...Just means we will see action this off season opposed to next

20. Mr. Clutch

^ is that assuming we lose Parsons?