1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If savage gets any starts, season must be dead or hes that good. or at least better than the other two

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Tom Savage was a stud with Rutgers and this video proves his skills can be raw.
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/RovTxsvDnpE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/RovTxsvDnpE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Texan fans better hope this is the case because if he goes Jacoby Jones/ Brad Lidge on us with the Raiders it won't be pretty.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's a lot more likely to go Darryl Kile than Brad Lidge.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

are you saying schaub is going to die of a heart attack? :eek:

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that he just can't read defenses... He basically told the Tennessee staff, "F U, I'm Vince Mother****ing Young! I don't need to read defenses. I just win." From what I read, he not only couldn't read defenses, he wouldn't work at it and thought he didn't need to.

There is a reason nobody wants to have anything to do with him. If you take the most dire predictions for Johnny Manziel's attitude and how that scenario would play out, that is the reality of VY. And the slavish worship of the UT alums helped make him that way.

Any "just winning" that occurred in Tennessee was 90% Jeff Fisher's defense.

#126 Ottomaton, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

well the other thing is that he may not have the mental capacity to read defenses. 6 on the lic

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Didn't help the other QB that went 0-fer

Rocket River

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

C'mon. You know the NFL came out and said the reported "6" was inaccurate, right? You know that. We don't know what the real score was (reportedly a 16 which still isn't great), but we know it wasn't the "6" number that gets thrown around.

10. Remii

Remii Member

That statement may be true for 2007 and 2008 (and VY only played in 3 games in 2008) when Jeff Fisher's defense was ranked in the top ten for both of those years, but VY made the pro bowl while at Tennessee in 2006 and 2009... In 2006 Jeff Fisher's defense was ranked #32 and in 2009 the defense was ranked #28...

In 2009 Chris Johnson rushed for over 2000 yards with VY on the field for 15 games and in 2010 he rushed for over 1300 yards when VY played 9 games. He has never rushed for over 1300 yards and hasn't had double digit TD's without VY on the field with him.

I think VY deserves more credit than you are handing out despite his immaturity... That is if the numbers I listed are all correct. I'm sure someone will correct if wrong.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Highlights can make most quarterbacks look like a stud. But maybe he is, he does have potential.

I like to watch all the plays of a game for the quarterback. Below is one game against Florida State and one against UNC. In the game against Florida State he had to play from behind... That's when a defense knows that the opposing team pretty much has to pass to stay/get in the game (good way to gage a college quarterback in my opinion). He was playing with a lead against UNC and you can see he was a lot more comfortable.

Watch "Tom Savage (QB Pitt) vs Florida State 2013" on YouTube
    Tom Savage (QB Pitt) vs Florida State 2013: http://youtu.be/wQ2PVx3SZcA

Watch "Tom Savage vs North Carolina (2013)" on YouTube
    Tom Savage vs North Carolina (2013): http://youtu.be/t6192qm76SM

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Dude to be honest the offensive line he had at Pitt was awful and was one of the worst. And Tom Savage still had a decent season despite the bad O Line. When he was at Rutgers I used to think that the wide recievers and the O line was the reason he was good. But his second year with Rutgers when he got injured and missed the rest of the season that team wasn't the same with out him. They lost 8 games and only won 4. Big difference from 9-3 with Tom Savage rookie season when he started for them.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i hate this reference with lidge.. lidge was dominant in houston, he was serviceable in philly. in houston he was the definition of "lights out." 3 up, 3 down without a batter putting wood on a baseball. he did close out the world series going, IIRC, 46-0 on saves and that was impressive but i think a number of closers could have won with that team.. i remember quite a few big time defensive plays made by the phillies to keep that unblown save streak going a ton of his saves were sketchy unlike his time in houston. i think valverde had more saves than lidge did that season.. i just never understand when people bring up lidge to prove a point like this.. lidge was hardly the reason the phillies won a world series that year..

14. liljojo

liljojo Member

Really? From the BOB's press conferences, I repeatedly hear that the 3 vets are considerably further along than Savage. I realize he has a much steeper learning curve to overcome, but from what I gather, he's still behind the other 3.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Said this before, but honestly, I have no idea how people can evaluate QB's off the TV feed. When the QB releases the ball, you can't see more than five yards down field, and you can't see receivers, outside of maybe a RB running a swing route.

How can you evaluate his choices, if you can't see his targets?

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

....wow. That's impressive when "serviceable" nets you 4th place in Cy Young voting. Lidge had a 1.95 ERA and a perfect 41 for 41 saves. His nickname (as you reference) is "lights out" which means the game is over and turn off the lights. Being perfect in saves is literally being the lights out guy.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Khalil Mack also drinking the Schaub Kool-Aid, tells <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL">@NFL_ATL</a>: &quot;He's poised. You can tell a great QB when you see one. He's the real deal.&quot;</p>&mdash; Marc Sessler (@MarcSesslerNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcSesslerNFL/statuses/472514212388827136">May 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you ask a LB from Johnny Buckwheat Jr College, Schaub is a "great QB"

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

JJ Watt thought that too after the 12-4 season...only to know that a pick 6 was inevitable...

Bet you JJ Watt gets a Sack fumble TD when we play Oakland...

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That should be a really fun game.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Josh Freeman, anyone?

Probably not.