1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$15 All-Time NBA Team Challenge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KDJ3, May 28, 2014.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Are we allowed to not pick certain positions and just have five players?

If so, I'm going with Lebron ($5) Isiah Thomas ($3) Pippen ($1) Hakeem ($1) and Garnett ($1).

That leaves with me a team that's going to be almost impossible to score on and $4 left over. Can I buy a bench player?

Alternatively - I'd also consider swapping out Hakeem and Garnett for Duncan and Drexler. Play Lebron at the 4 and Duncan at center. Or, a lineup of:

C- Hakeem
    PF- Nowitzki
    SF-Lebron
    SG-Durant
    PG-Magic

That's a mismatch nightmare.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

For my $15, I'm going with:

Starters:
    Stockton $2
    Wade $1
    Durant $2
    Dirk $2
    Olajuwon $1

Bench:
    Walt Frazier $1
    Drexler $2
    Scottie Pippen $1
    Garnett $1
    Shaq $2

For the full 48 minutes we'll run any of your teams off the court

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lets do NFL offense!

Budget: $15

QB
    ($5) Joe Montana
    ($4) Dan Marino
    ($3) Steve Young
    ($2) Roger Staubach
    ($1) Joe Namath

WR1
    ($5) Jerry Rice
    ($4) Marvin Harrison
    ($3) Cris Carter
    ($2) Lynn Swann
    ($1) Art Monk

WR2
    ($5) Randy Moss
    ($4) Calvin Johnson
    ($3) Terrell Owens
    ($2) Tim Brown
    ($1) Lance Alworth

TE
    ($5) Tony Gonzalez
    ($4) Shannon Sharpe
    ($3) Kellen Winslow
    ($2) Jason Witten
    ($1) Ben Coates

RB
    ($5) Jim Brown
    ($4) Marshall Faulk
    ($3) Gale Sayers
    ($2) Curtis Martin
    ($1) Jerome Bettis

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

QB
    ($2) Roger Staubach

WR1
    ($1) Art Monk

WR2
    ($4) Calvin Johnson

TE
    ($2) Jason Witten

RB
    ($5) Jim Brown

I'd then use my remaining $1 to select RB Jerome Bettis and use him as my FB in power run sets. Unstoppable running game. I dare them to put 8 in the box.

Monk in his prime along with Megatron in red zone would create mismatches all over the secondary. Not to mention Witten owning the middle.

My man, Staubach, would have a field day. :eek:

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Dream $1
    Dirk $2
    Lebron $5
    Jordan $5
    Stockton $2

Come at me bro!

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Shocked at the absence of Bird on most people's lists.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

if they didn't give us Dream for $1 you would probably see more of him.... I mean nobody can resist Lebron and Dream fro 6 bucks!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Stockton - 2
    Jordan - 5
    Bird - 4
    Duncan - 3
    Dream - 1

9. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Marino ($4)
    Rice ($5)
    Brown ($2)
    Winslow ($3)
    Bettis ($1)

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

It's tempting to get Hakeem at $1, but for my money I'd still want Bill Russell at $4. Out of all the centers, he's the only one who could play in the high post, and every bit the defender that Hakeem was. Never the biggest, or the most talented, just fit in with his team more, and was the ultimate glue guy, even as a superstar.

At PF, it's abundantly clear that you have to take Tim Duncan for $3. Twice as many rings as the other 4 guys combined, and the ultimate professional. I want him as my primary low post threat.

SF needs to be a shooter. If you're doing a traditional 2 bigs lineup, the rest of the guys need to be able to space the floor. Give me the Legend at $4, who also is going to take and make the last second shot for the team. Dr. J is somewhat overrated in my opinion, KD still goes through stretches where he isn't aggressive enough, or gets baffled by odd coverage like triple-teams or the Chris Paul switch. Also, there's some guy at $1, but he's dead to me.

SG is a strange one. Wade and Drexler are unquestionably the worst two players of the 25, so they're out. There seems to be little reason to choose Kobe when you could get MJ for only a dollar more. So I'm going with the Logo at $3, who is criminally underrated since he played without a 3-point line, and before the advent of the jump shot.

PG only has a dollar left, but that's fine since I can get a steal in Clyde Frazier. Someone who thrived with mobile, jump shooting bigmen, was a tenacious defender, played well when paired with another PG (much like he would have to when playing with West). One thing you have to worry about with Stockton and Thomas, while superior players, is who they could guard other than each other. The Big O would definitely not play well on a superstar laden team, and Magic is too expensive for my budget.

Leaves me with a final lineup of:

PG: Frazier ($1)
    SG: West ($3)
    SF: Bird ($4)
    PF: Duncan ($3)
    C: Russell ($4)

Definitely different than everyone else's, but perhaps the best chemistry possible. Tried to avoid guys like MJ, Big O, Hakeem, Barkley, just because they really needed the team build around them to suceed. My 5 guys all have tons of experience on absolutely loaded championship teams, and knew how to play and sacrifice for other superstars.

Fun thread.

1 person likes this.
  11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

It's great because you really can't go wrong with this group of players, but explanations like yours can make others rethink how a team should be assembled.

12. liljojo

liljojo Member

Interesting how all of the PG's are retired players when we just passed the supposed golden age of PGs.

I would've expected at least one of Kidd, Nash, or AI included in that group.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Olajuson ($1)
    Duncan ($3)
    LeBron ($5)
    MJ ($5)
    Walt ($1)

I win

14. HPD

HPD Member

Olajuson. SMH