1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 World Cup - Brazil

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ivenovember, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I agree with a previous poster that having Lando on there simply for the experience he would bring would be good for the squad.

But Klinssman is already looking towards 2018 so it is what it is. He's basically already conceded to Germany in this cup.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I won't bother too much with your post as there are others to concentrate on but..
    1. Donovan wasn't merely one of the best US players. He is arguably the best US player of all time.
    2. No chemistry between whom? Landon and his teammates or Landon and Klinsmann? If you meant the latter then you would be correct. If you meant the former then you have no idea what you're typing.

3. ferrari77

So... The US team needs leadership and Landon has shown over the past decade plus of his being a full international that he provides little to no leadership? Yeah no.
    Then we move on to "The guy is too cocky". In what way? With the fans? With his teammates? On the pitch vs other players? In comparison to whom? If you think Brad Davis or none of those players on that team aren't cocky then you don't know anything. If you think in comparison to Jackie Wilshere, Danny Welbeck, and others on the English national team or better national teams around the world that the US players are cocky then you haven't seen anything.

To say he didn't deserve a spot on the team borders on trolling.
    To say he hasn't played well enough to deserve to be on the team deserves further analysis. Whether you meant this current, short MLS season or you meant over the past year or over the full WC qualifying cycle. Either way, you would be incorrect.

Putting Klinsmann the player and genius in the same sentence wouldn't be a stretch.

Putting Klinsmann the manager/coach and genius in the same sentence makes me want to ask if you're high while typing.

4. ferrari77

Landon was an aging star who was no longer in form? So we know he was no longer in form because he hadn't scored so far in the early part of the MLS season or because he didn't play well in one friendly this year vs the Mexican team? Also... those types are left off all the time? Pre-tell, for which national teams are they left off all the time? Germany? Brazil? Spain? Italy? Yeah I can definitely see such players no matter how great, still being left off those teams, but you know what such nations have in common? THEY'VE ALL WON WORLD CUPS! THEY ARE ALL WORLD POWERS IN THE SPORT. THEY ALL PRODUCE RIDICULOUS TALENT EACH YEAR.
    To say he wasn't giving the team everything he has is fans arrogance imo.
    If his teammates indicated through the press(unnamed sources in the team say...) a problem w/his effort on the pitch then that would be fine. No one has indicated such a problem. There was no problem with his effort on the pitch for the US last year so what are you basing this off in terms of international play? One match vs Mexico? Surely it can't be based off the South Korea match. Either way, C'mon dude.

5. Convictedstupid

Donovan should have made the 23 but he is in no way the best player on our team. Bradley, Dempsey, and Fabian are all easily better than him.

6. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Imo, stupid decision by JK... You don't leave behind the face of the US squad for the past decade. Even if he wasn't to start he could well be in the bench and provide leadership. You don't start preparing for a world cup 4 years from now. So much can happen from here till then. You have gold cup, elimination rounds, confederations cup and frindlies for that. You go to the world cup with the best squad you currently have. Yes, leadership is a big part of it, specially in a short tournament. JK better have thought this through because the backlash will be epic. The moment the team shows any type of flaws people will scrutinize this decision.

7. ferrari77

By Fabian I know you don't mean Fabian Johnson right? Just because he is playing in the Bundesliga doesn't make him a better player.

I wont compare Bradley to Donovan or FabJohnson as they all play different positions but I'd compare Donovan to Dempsey.
    To say Dempsey is easily better than Donovan is incorrect imo. Is that because Dempsey is in a good stretch of form in MLS as of March or April? Did you say the same last September or October after Dempsey's not so lovely stretch of play in England and Seattle?
    Dempsey is younger than Landon and for sure is in better shape and at the moment is in better form but I wouldn't say he is a better player. They all provide different qualities and all 3 I feel would have been able to do something lovely this summer for the team.

Either way, a stretch to say they're easily better and also much by DDakota to say he is still the best player on the team on any given day. Definitely not true.

8. ferrari77

Pretty cool World Cup posters here.

For US fans

[​IMG]

For the fake Spain fans(cough Reeko cough cough)

[​IMG]

For Arno and Ace and the Dutch contingent

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We cut our number 10 - that is all that needs to be said.

DD

10. ferrari77

Swoly

[​IMG]

ATW and Yung

[​IMG]

Croatian Sensat(ion)

[​IMG]

11. Xercules

Xercules Member

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Granted it was just one game but Donovan looked terrible against Mexico. It looked like he lost that speed and ability to beat his man. I haven't seen him in the MLS this year so I'm not sure if its still the case but if it is then I can see why he was cut. After taking that sabbatical he was no longer the heart and soul of the US, that has been passed on to Bradley and Howard.

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

14. solodolo

solodolo Member

Julian green looked liked deer in headlights in that game too ..

I just think Donovan should've gotten instead of him

Ill trust a 3 world cup experience player than one who doesn't even playing in the big leagues yet ( bayern )

15. solodolo

solodolo Member

Play ****

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ Doesn't work all that well. Didn't work for Van Nistelroy and didn't work for Conejo Perez among other 'vets', either. Maradona needed drugs to "feel younger" and perform well in 1994.

Thanks, ferrari77. All look awesome! :cool:
    He looks FAT in those videos, DrLudicrous.

[​IMG]

When he was told he wasn't selected:
    [​IMG]

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe in Youth, but why Donovan was only listed as a forward is beyond me, he or Bradley are our best playmakers, by far.

DD

18. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Did we watch the same game? Green contributed well. He netted us a PK/FK.*

*Should have been given.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yup. He was actually trying to govern the box.