1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you stop following the Rockets if they traded Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brando2101, May 11, 2014.

?

Would you stop following the Rockets if they traded Lin?

1. Yes

18.5%
  2. No

81.5%
  1. hollywoodMarine

Pretty sure he was being ironic, poking fun at a certain sub group of Lin fans whose lives basically revolve around their idol.

We all know Lin has had issues with being consistent on the offensive end, but hasn't his TO's improved? This may just be my rose-colored Lin glasses, but I felt like he's gotten much better in this department (and not just total TO's committed, but even ast/TO ratio is better from last year). Don't have stats to back me up, so I may be wrong.

Also, didn't torocan make a post basically demonstrating that the "jump in the air with nowhere to go and then pass to the opposing team" perception of Lin is really overblown?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Michael Jordan hitting game winners over blown? yeah, but that's what sticks in your head.

there are turnovers, then there are turnovers that stick in your head for a long time.

the Mo Williams one, sorry, that one will stick in people's minds no matter how many charts or graphs we see

3. hollywoodMarine

Oh, that's fine. We're all human. Lin's turnovers can be really egregious sometimes, making them especially conspicuous and memorable. At the same time, what determines what events "stick in one's minds" can also be due to one's bias and preconceptions. Some of the craziers LOF's just won't remember Lin's mistakes, but they will def remember his performance in game 5 (and vice versa for those more extreme Lin skeptics).

I only allude to "charts and graphs" as often as I do because I believe they can help clear up misconceptions for those of us who are more in the middle and are open minded, and willing to hear the other side of the argument.

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

oddly enough, the Mo Williams one wasn't the typical bonehead variety that we see from him (ie. dribbling into traffic and getting stripped whilst mid-air).

The turnovers are overblown. but it is still a big concern.

5. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

It is safe to say that anything JLin does will be overblown, good or bad. Get used to it people! That's the curse to be the first homegrown Asian in the NBA.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's not the first "homegrown" Asian in the NBA.

7. hollywoodMarine

Yeah, after looking at the actual numbers, I take back my statement that Lin has improved remarkably in TO's. Although his TO's are down overall, his actual ast/TO ratio has gotten worse. The one positive is that his overall TO ratio was actually better in the playoffs, but then he also made some really bad ones late in the game. Sucks, but here's to hoping he'll improve next season (assuming he is still here)

8. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Enlighten me please.

9. hollywoodMarine

Wataru Misaka?

10. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

OK you are technically right. He is too short, too old and too bad to be relevant I guess.

11. jocar

jocar Member

2012 NY : 27 Minutes per game
    2013 HOU: 32 Minutes per game
    2014 HOU: 29 Minutes per game

2012 NY: 10.9 shots per game in NY.
    2013 HOU: 10.9 shots his first year in Houston
    2014 HOU: 9.3 shots per game

He got more minutes here, and took about the same number of shots.

It only seemed like he took more shots during "Linsanity" because 1. He wasn't afraid to take it to the rim. 2. Those shots and layups actually went in.

"25 shots a game" is pure Lin fanboy fantasy, a.k.a. detached from reality, a.k.a. delusion. You fulfill the Lin fan stereotype. Congratulations!

12. Jt29

Jt29 Member

I agree, coaching has a lot to do with rockets underperforming in this year playoffs. ISO ball is just plain lazy coaching. It is that easy, anyone, from clutch to tinman can coach the rockets.

13. TheJet

TheJet Member

Thanks, but that wasn't the main point of my post. The Rockets don't play "ISO ball". I believe it was their fourth most ran play last year? There are plenty of stats posts that prove that. It was the negative comments that contain things like "Lazy ISO ball" that I was addressing. Basically I was trying to say that I think it's a huge misconception from fans that can't yet discern an ISO play from beating a man off the dribble. It's like the people that bash Harden for being a "chucker" when he's actually one of the more efficient scorers in the league. Confirmation bias. Sometimes people see what they want to see.

But yea, our coaching could use some big upgrades :).

14. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

The Mo William turn over sticks to your head because Lin has been in such heated controversial debates in garm for so long that his good or bad plays get amplified, since Lin Only Fans over hyped him to the point of annoyance, His every move gets put under a magnifying glass this entire season.

If it was another other Rockets player in that possession I guaranteed you it won't stick to your head

15. tinman

Supporting Member

You can't use "IF" in an argument.

It was Lin who had that critical turnover. I do blame him for his own actions. However, it's McHale's fault for putting him in the game. Should have recognized he's a careless ball handler.

Lin is terrible at knowing what the game and clock situation is.

He's being paid like a superstar and he's not playing like one regardless if there are 1000 or 1 LOF on the board.

16. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Am I the only Rockets fan who saw that play as an extraordinary play by Mo Williams?

Have you seen what happened to Chris Paul in the OKC/LAC series? (And unlike Lin, Paul wasn't victimized by a great play by an opposing player.)

My point? If it can happen to Chris Paul, it can happen to anyone.

At least the Clippers fans reacted a lot more sanely in regard to their point guard screwing up. Even though theirs is an All-Star and ours isn't even a starter.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Chris Paul also is the reason why the Clippers are a great team.

He has been exceptional the entire season and his entire career.

A Rocket fan who compares Lin to Chris Paul?

suspicious.

#417 tinman, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whats worse.....???

A. -Being a fan of a player that stops following the team once they trade their favorite player

or

B. -Being someone that calls himself or herself a fan but trolls, mocks, and tries to ridicule anyone that disagrees with them when the team trades their favorite player on the team (like say a backup Power Forward from Kentucky) or does nothing but politic against the current superstar of the team because... well its not the superstar THEY want????

Give me the fan who will stop following the team when their player gets traded any day of the week.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

No, you're not. It was a crazy athletic move and great (lucky) court awareness by Mo.

However, it was another key moment where Lin made a mistake. Yes, he was victimized by a great play by Williams but he shouldn't have put himself in that situation. And before this turns into a label war, I'd say the same about any Rockets player that tries to push the ball in that situation when the play is to hold, get fouled or call a time out. Consider Lin doesn't have what I'd call solid ball handling it's ever more reason not to push it.

It's like Schuab trying to throw that 10 yard out when the Texans are down 4 late in the fourth. He tries to make a play that's not his strength and he gets victimized by a game ending pick six.

CP3 also makes mistakes. But they're far less frequent and he has a long track record of being an elite player. Even MJ got pick pocketed from time to time (Orlando?). It's not quite the same.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

your mistake is that you assume everyone understands everything you just posted.

1. houston texans, no lin fan cares about them or even knows matt schaub, he's probably not even a choice for fantasy football owners

2. mj getting picked by nick andersen, that's like trying to explain what a sony walkman is to someone at the apple store

the Lin turnover topped what was already a shaky post season for his court awareness and ball handling, i'm not even talking about his shooting