1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 World Cup - Brazil

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ivenovember, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure how I feel about the inclusion of Green in the midfield. He's already locked up for the USMNT, so I don't know why they'd risk his roster spot when it's clear he's way too raw for the World Cup.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Went to Stoke...didn't play.

Loaned him out to Barnsely. Didn't play and was kicked out after an issue with the fans.

Went back to Stoke...still didn't play.

As Indaface said, his best bet is to come back to the MLS and start over.

3. leroy

I don't think there's any chance, barring a large number of injuries in camp, that he goes to Brazil with the 23. This is to give him the experience and show him what he needs to work towards. Besides, I can't really think of anyone who he prevented from getting a chance that actually had a chance. If anyone is doing that, it's Jermaine Jones.

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

My guess at the 7 will be

Chandler, Yedlin, Green, Davis, Corona, Edu, Boyd

Boyd vs. Wondo i think is a battle for one spot

I could see JK keeping Edu in just because he is a true DM and we might need that for a late sub, if he stays in then maybe Mix misses out.

Overall the 30 is solid no complaints from here, ready to see the guys in action already.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think Boyd has a good chance of making it. He's been on a hot streak the past month or so. The battle between Body/Wondo/Johannsson is going to be epic.

I can also see either Edu or Beckerman not making it. I think they're too redundant to use roster spots for both of them.

6. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

I think Johannsson absolutely makes it unless his injuries are still nagging. Boyd vs. Wondo will be a real battle and I see Chandler/Evans/Parkhurst fighting for 1 spot as well. I like Chandler's skill but wonder about any negative influence on the locker-room, as well as his health.

7. Convictedstupid

Yeah, there is 0% chance Johannsson doesn't make it unless he is still injured.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Why do you think Johannsson is so much more likely to make it than Boyd? They have a similar goal scoring rate this past season (20 goals in 38 games vs 26 in 51). I could see the argument that Johannsson is in a tougher league but I still think it comes down to whichever one performs better in camp. And they could both end up making the squad.

9. leroy

No chance Berckerman doesn't make it...barring injury. I think he might end up being the starter as he seems to work better with Bradley than Jones. Just have to live with the stupid fouls in bad places. I think Edu makes it because he's more athletic and less bad foul prone than Jones and Beckerman. If he doesn't, I hope it's because they're considering using Cameron in that spot.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Johannsson seems to be a much more dynamic player with the ball at his feet, and Jurgen values that ability, just my .02.

DD

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

As DaDakota mentioned, Aron has shown himself to be a bit more "dynamic" during his appearance with the USNats than TBoyd has.

Completely agree. Beckerman is Klinsy's boy(along with Jozy and Clint). He makes it unless injured.

Cameron is so valuable a player with his versatility that it makes sense to leave out Edu.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Unless Cameron is starting in the back, I think he brings a bit more than Beckerman as a holding mid. He has a much better through ball and is about the same defensively as Beckerman

13. leroy

He's MUCH better defensively than Bekerman. He marks better, is better in the air, and doesn't give up bad fouls. The games last year with Cam in the middle were some of the best the team played in this cycle. It allowed Bradley to roam and push forward...which has a direct correlation to Altidore's hot streak. How many of those were created by Bradley?

14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Unfortunately Klinsmann loves playing Jones in the middle so it doesn't seem like it matters.

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea Klinsy loves Jones, I also agree Cam-Bradley is our best midfield combo.

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The last game the USMNT played with Beckerman-Bradley in midfield against Mexico showed how good the attack can be when Bradely gets forward into the attack.

Great write-up on mlssoccer.com (link) talking about this very topic.

Klinsmann has shown in most cases he doesn't give a flip about what you've done previously, you have to earn your way onto the pitch and the starting XI. He left off Eddie Johnson from the roster, made Donovan earn his way back onto the team, and he'll hopefully understand that the team could be more dynamic/dangerous without Jones clogging up the middle and making reckless challenges.

17. Indaface

Indaface Member

The games when Bradley is able to make runs into the attack have been the games in the past when we have played the sexiest brand of futbol.

I wouldn't be against Becks starting (to give bradley free reign) either but his tendency to give up bad fouls could really bite us in the ass in the World Cup.

I really loved the way Cam and Bradley played together the few times they've been able to.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gonna be some tough cuts[​IMG]

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The last paragraph- most should be changed to "some".

The Eddie Johnson exclusion is because he hadn't earned his way onto the team? You know those first 3 months of an MLS season are more important when it comes to deciding who should make a preliminary squad than performances for the national team over the past year.
    And the earning your way onto the pitch thing is easily discredited with the Jozy selection and the Mix Diskerud selection(not impressive for country so far but getting matches for club) and the Joe Corona selection. Corona was decent for country last summer, but barely making a blip on the scene for club.

Anyway back to Beckerman-Bradley-Jones. We'll see what Klinsy prefers to do but we know he loves both Beckerman and Jones so it will be tough for him if he has to leave one of those on the bench. Those are his Klinsyboyz.

20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Netherlands 30 man prelim roster: (playing Saturday against Ecuador)