1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This.

I'm tired of people wanting to "see" what players can do when they obviously suck.

2. TheDreamShake83

Tried to upvote this . . . time to back off of Reddit for a bit.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

All the hype around this guy, but in his highlight video he seemed to stare down his receiver from the snap. Another guy with size and arm that can't actually play?

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

5. awc713

awc713 Member

I mean...he slid to the 4th round for a reason. As has been stated previously, he dealt with an awful O-line and learned 4 systems in 4 years. Yes, Savage has his flaws, but let's give him some time to develop and work out the kinks.

He has some tools to be one hell of a QB, BOB just needs to help him put it all together.

I like the pick. ALL of the QBs have flaws in their game, and none are flat out obviously ready to play in the NFL from day one. This league has been spoiled with QBs coming in and playing immediately.

It's not bad for the player to hold a clipboard and soak things in at first. Savage obviously can't play right now. And I don't expect him to play for another year. But he's a toy for BOB to play with and hopefully mold.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

7. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Judging from the clips he seems to have better feet than Schaub. I'm also a fan of his Warren Moon-like tight spiral.

8. Mr. Clutch

That's no Moon.

1 person likes this.
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Let's not forget that Simms himself was drafted by self-appointed QB guru Jon Gruden

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I dont know about the Moon comp, but he does through a nice catchable spiral

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To be fair, and I know this will open up an enormous can of worms, but Simms was a solid NFL quarterback until his spleen burst (especially given lack of talent in Tampa). If Savage can get to that point, I'd take it.

It's funny because I was actually thinking that comparison myself yesterday, but I didn't want to say it, for obvious reasons. I see some similarities in the college tape.

14. Mr. Clutch

Chris Simms completed under 60% of his passes, threw more INTs than TDs, and his y/a was 6.1

No thanks.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Come on Cat. Simms was not a solid NFL quarterback. If Savage ends up being a 6 YPA thrower at sub 60% that is basically 1 for 1 TD to Int then he is a totally worthless project.

16. JazzLakerHater

As I watch more highlights of Savage, he's kind if growing on me. I doubt he sniffs the field this year but I sure hope beats out the other QB's in camp. I much rather suck with Savage than suck with Fitzpatrick.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

is it just me, or does it seem like 2015 could be a year with an above average number of 1st rd worthy QBs, along with a below average number of teams that need a starting QB

if Savage wins the starting job before week 1 that will be very intriguing

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes: where have you been the last 12 years?

that said I do like this texans draft, am okay with fitz starting and am okay with this pick.

my prediction 8-8

19. Major

Major Member

Too much changes in a year. At this time last year, Bridgewater was a consensus top 5 pick and no one had ever heard of Blake Bortles.

I think there will be a lot of teams looking for QBs, as there always are. Players will suddenly start sucking (like Schaub this year); others will get old or injured . And many of today's projects may flop and teams will start looking for replacements (Geno Smith, Jake Locker, etc). Arizona will likely be looking; Denver might be too - unclear just how many more years Peyton will play.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Solid is not a word I'd use to describe him. He basically had one season, and he only started 10 games that year. He threw 10 TDs to 7 Ints in that time frame.

He would rupture his spleen after struggling through the first two games of the next season.

At best you could say he showed some promise.