1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go after Dirk?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sleepyazn, May 6, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dirk is one terrible negotiator.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...owitzki-is-not-expecting-kobes-deal-from-mavs

“We want to get better as a team,” Nowitzki said. “And I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sign Kobe's deal – unfortunately (Bryant signed a two-year, $48-million extension). “We'll find a good way where I feel respected for what I did and we still have enough money left for us to get great players in here. Cubes has been great to me and been loyal to me for a long, long time. I'm sure we're going to find a great solution for everybody.”

Well broadcasting that to the world tells everyone "Hey... dont offer me a max deal... I'm happy with a 3 year 10 mil deal".

When the truth is Dirk is definitely worth a Kobe type of deal hands down. There is no reason why a GM shouldn't or wont offer Dirk that kind of deal. He's been that good this year.

What I'm wondering is... Does Dirk not even realize how much he really is worth and is listening too much to what Cubes is putting in his ear, and if Morey shows up at his door with an offer sheet for 3 years 55 million dollars, does Dirk's relationship with Cubes and Dumptown Dallas suddenly change directions? Does Cuban than increase his offer to at least get competitive and that changes what the Mavs are able to go get in free agency?

That much money talks guys. Even for a selfless team first guy like Dirk. I think Dirk is seriously oblivious to how much he's worth vs. how much he think's he's going to get offered.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Alliances and interstate history/rivalries aside, this team is made for Dirk (or any power forward that can rebound and shoot 18 foot jumpers). Stick him next to Howard in the lineup along with Parsons and Howard and that's a team on the same level as a Carmelo/Howard/Harden.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't believe I said that. If the Mavs don't bring in enough help to comtend for a title then I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave for a team that can. Why would you be, since he says winning is the priority? IIRC, when he was a free agent the last time, he said he would have considered doing the superteam thing in Miami but no one ever approached him about it.

4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I don't think he will leave Dallas for Houston, but just clearing out Lin and Jones/DMo would give the Rockets enough space to offer him $10-11M a year and he would be the perfect (non-LeBron) fit in Houston. The Rockets could still retain Asik or have him plus Jones/DMo, 2014 drafted players and future picks to land another good 2-3 year piece if they wanted.

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

DIRK TO HOUSTON, YES SIR

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

10 mil a year won't get it done. However, 3 years 55 million will make things very interesting.

The Rockets are currently looking at 62.7 mil at a projected cap of 62.3.

-If the Rockets Clear out Lin & Asik for no salary in return, that would clear 16.7 mil off the cap.

-If the Rockets waive Omri Casspi & Covington that gives them another 1.88 million in cap.

So that's 44.12 mil against a 62.3 projected cap. That's 18.18 mil to offer Dirk or any free agent in year one if the Rockets are able to move Asik & Lin with no returning salary.

So again Dirk, Cuban..... do you REALLY think you are going to get away with Dirk walking away from that much money to resign for less? IMO Cuban wants Dirk and everyone to think that its a guaranteed thing that Dirk is going to resign for less so no team actually musters up the courage to show up at Dirk's doorstep on July 1st with an offer sheet of 3 years 55 million.... When in reality, any GM on the verge of competing for a championship that has the capspace would frankly be dumb not to have the balls to at least offer it to Dirk.

If anything, you get Dallas to pay more than they have to for Dirk, and it helps them not be able to go out and get another all-star player. There is no reason why Cuban should be able to swindle his own star player like this as long as Dirk is still playing the way he's playing.

7. izeroi

izeroi Member

Dirk won't leave Dallas. He's too loyal and has too much faith in Cuban. Even if it is his last few years he'll still stick by Cubans side if they don't get anyone to come play for them.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dirk is the vocal leader who will & can get Harden to play the right way.

9. i3artow i3aller

10. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Morey would be bat**** crazy to give him that type of money. He could turn to crap next year and breakdown. Entirely too old. Rather give it to Love or Milsap if anybody.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

How much money did Dirk pay those girls? How much money does Harden pay his girls? Dirk can mentor Harden on many things on & off the court.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just because we could offer Dirk 18 million a year doesn't mean he couldn't still just turn it down and sign with the mavs for much less. Which is exactly what i see him doing. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to throw a big contract in his face. I wouldn't have a problem giving Dirk a big contract either, that dude is a cold blooded killer, one of the best of all time and is still putting up superstar numbers with no signs of stopping.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dirk played 80 games, averaging 33 minutes per game this season with absolutely no problems.

He shot 50% from the field, 40% from beyond the arc, and 90% at the free throw line on 22 points, along with 6 rebounds, 3 assist and a steal.

14. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Dirk is a veteran with 3-4 years left. He is a star that has made his millions. He won a championship. Why on earth would he leave Dallas? He has the potential to add his name to the short list of single franchise players to win a chip.

15. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Would be a wasted effort. Dirk does not want to leave Dallas

17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

dirk would be great on this team

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Dirk signs with this team, he doesn't have to be the first option on a team anymore. Heck, he might not even need to be the second option.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It'd be really weird to see Dirk in a Rockets uniform.. Awwwkwarddd~

20. treeman

treeman Member

He's been with Dallas his whole career. He won a championship with them. He's the face of their franchise and they've made him a ridiculously rich man. They're still very competitive, and if he is willing to take a little less and they make a couple of smart moves they can be right back in contention. Why would he leave?

And more importantly, as a Rockets fan you should have a burning and abiding hatred for the Dallas Mavericks and anyone associated with them. Even thought adding Dirk to our squad would be a highly logical move and would instantly make us frontrunning contenders to win it all, your hatred should win out and you should summarily dismiss the idea without a second thought.

What the hell is wrong with you?!? Dirk here? Pffft, NEVER. For sooooo many reasons, too.