1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's on Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

^^THIS!!!

I've been saying this 'til I was blue in the face........

The only unknown is how differently McHale's offense would have looked like had "Moreyball" not been a requirement.

1 person likes this.
  2. albuster

albuster Member

Hmmm, thought I was alone in thinking that.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Actually Carl, I've criticized you before but props on having the balls to say this. Some on this site don't want to hear the truth.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

When a GM attributes the end of the last couple of games to coin flips.... and totally negates execution...YOU HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. Its comical tbh.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both Alexand and Morey advocated for hiring McHale who was actually the best fit or one season.

They failed to hire his successor when we got those Allstars Morey talked about.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you saying our elimination is on Morey or it's on Morey to get us even more talent?

It's not really clear from your post.

Morey has been quite successful in getting us top talent, without tanking - Harden and Howard.

I don't think he could be blamed for not having made the best of where we came from. So I don't see how our elimination is on Morey, at least not because he wouldn't have gotten us talent.

As to the future - is it his job to get us more talent? Yes. But that's pretty obvious.

So what exactly is on Morey?

7. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Who hired the head coach?

Who hired the assistant coaches?

Who demands a specific style of play?

Who models his game strategy on regular season metrics?

Who left Troy Daniels in RGV for the majority of the season?

I could go on and on... but I think the point is fair to make.

1 person likes this.
  8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I got flamed and called all kinds of idiots for making a similar thread. Morey is not above accountability. This team cannot lose in first round again next year if healthy. The organization should be embarrassed. Only series in West not going to 7 games.

9. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Lets be honest here. Morey isn't on the hot seat until he keeps McHale next season. Lets not forget one of the big reasons Dwight even came here was McHale. Now what McHale promised him may have turned out to be baloney, you can't exactly fire a guy because we only made it to the 5th seed... in the West...

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keeping McHale for more than two seasons and not pulling off the original plan.

McHale was obviously just a transition coach. He should foster a young guy like Chris Finch or someone else to take over in time.

That was the plan. It's either Alexander or Morey.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What's comical is your insistence that Morey is a problem.

Who exactly do you want to replace him with?

12. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

I hear Joe Dumars is available...

13. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Pretty sure you're not even understanding the purpose of this thread.

He's saying it is now on Morey to improve the team.

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Morey didn't call timeouts to let Lillard be wide open to end the season on a three.

.9 fellas. .9

15. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Not going to happen when your two max guys have major flaws in their games.

Proper coaching would help. Even something simple like a shooting coach who understands the mechanics of shooting for free throws and 3P shots. During the season if we shot .815 on FTs as a team like Portland instead of .712 we would've scored 3.2 more points per game.

During the playoffs if we shot .805 on FTs as a team like Portland instead of .743 we would've scored 11 more points in the 6 games. It's hard to hold or build a lead during the playoffs if the guy taking the most FTA is only shooting .625

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey admitted early on this was not a contending team. He held his ground on making stupid flexibility moves because he knows better than to blow his load right now. To throw him under the bus for standing pat is about as stupid as blaming him for not making stupid moves when we had Dragic and lost the 8th seed.

17. sutton

sutton Member

yes, this playoff spells the failure of moreyball, along with its puppet: Mchale.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can blame morey for things,but not this. They were a couple of plays away from advancing. I don't like the entire makeup of roster,but I think he will fix it. As I said in another thread, winning a ring is a laborous process.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

Made even more difficult and long by incompetent coaching...

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This incompetent coach was a reason Dwight signed here. Glad McHale did his job and I'm sure Morey will thank him on his way out.