1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard - Superstar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, May 1, 2014.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The term 'superstar' tends to get thrown around a lot when it comes to NBA players but in reality there has always has been and will be just a handful of superstars in the NBA.

Dwight was considered a superstar during his time in Orlando - one bad exit and one "down" season with the Lakers he was being questioned as his status as the game's best center let alone if he was a superstar.

This playoff series has me convinced again that he is one of the league's superstars and the Rockets are beyond lucky to have a guy like him.

when game 1 started and Dwight went out early in foul trouble I was a bit worried -he did not play that well up to that point constantly beat to rebounds by Lopez or Aldridge.

But at somepoint between the first and second quarter Dwight understood it was the playoffs. When he came back into the game he started to rebound and play with a vengeance I hadn't seen all season long. This was Dwight Howard - Superstar

And the numbers back it up too

26 points, 14 rebounds and 3 blocks per game - compared to his season averages of 18,12 and 1.8

But the biggest thing to me a superstar elevates his game in the face of adversity and picks up his teammates in the process.

Dwight has been plagued with foul trouble all series long - some of it was his own fault but there have been a lot of fouls called on him that were ticky tack. Now on the other end he has had to deal with a lot of punishment that goes uncalled. He was subject to not one but two NBA apologies already for bad calls against him. So far the only answer the Blazers have had for Dwight is having him sit on the bench -

Even on the bench though he becomes the team's biggest cheerleader - last night he was jumping up and down during big plays by the team, lead the team in a player's only huddle (even though he wasnt in the game) during a timeout. This is leadership - this is what a superstar does.

Dwight has carried this team so far in the playoffs - he did his thing in the regular season but there is a certain energy he has been playing with that only superstars have the ability to take their game to the next level when the situation calls for it.

Many here went after Dwight after game 1 when he said he needs the ball more - saying that his offense was not something that should be featured - yet he delivered on his promise producing 19 first quarter points and breaking one of Hakeem's franchise records in the process.

This is the superstar we have all been searching for and he is here -- and he looks happy to be here. Regardless of what happens in game 6 - there is a lot look forward to in Houston. We have 1 superstar and another potential superstar in James Harden that is learning what it takes to carry a team to the next level.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Rockets' only franchise player.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He needs to stop committing dumb fouls, play the PnR better, and pass smarter out of the post to be considered a legit superstar.

IMHO

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I agree with you that he's elevated his gsme, the term superstar however seems to be subjective. I do think he's the best center in the game, his playoff numbers show that. If he can keep this up throughout the playoffs and carry over into next season, I would find it hard to believe that next season he wouldn't be an mvp candidate along with harden

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Guy has been amazing. It would be interesting to see how this Howard, would play with James Harden. Sucks that the Beard hasn't been available for the playoffs.

6. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

No doubt he has been our superstar cause that other dude hasnt shown up for a full game as yet. I was very skeptical and a bit ambivalent when we went hard qfter him and the susequently signed him, but flam happy to admit he has been awesome in every possible way on and off the court. He has won me over for sure !

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I thought Harden was a superstar before this series started.

8. devil_blue

devil_blue Member

the way he's been able to keep his composure despite getting manhandled by refs has been surprising... i feel a lot of players would have been thrown out of multiple games at this point

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He also needs to be more automatic in the post.

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

He's been all that and a bag of peaches. i would luv to hear what Hakeem told him both before and after the game. I luv the Big Man game. Old school.

11. coffeelover665

It's so great to play at the highest level of basketball and you're the best at your position and YOU STILL HAVE A GRANDMASTER that allow you to improve even more. Howard picked Houston and it was such a great pick for him

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He's sucked in the post since he's been in the league. We should count ourselves lucky honestly, when his post game is going for him. At the very least, his post game is serious enough that teams keep it in mind, so it's not ALL bad.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He doesn't seem to commit many more dumb fouls when compared to other centers throughout history. He plays the PnR at an elite level for someone his size. Sure he could be better, but c'mon. And he passes better out of the post than most centers I've ever seen. How many great centers were also great passers?

He could learn to handle double teams better, but that's not a factor in this series.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He is definitely playing like one this series.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is there ever a one-way superstar? Harden can gets there when he becomes a 2 way player

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

A superstar needs to be tested and proven enough in playoffs. Howard does. Harden still a long way to go.

17. platypus

platypus Member

We have 1.5 superstars. Howard and Harden's offense.

I'm expecting James to erupt this game six, he is a ticking time bomb for portland and he is due for a big game.

I then expect dwight to close out the Blazers at home in game 7.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

DH is proving to be worth every cent this series. I think he's do for a beast mode game here pretty soon. Like 30 and 20.

Boy would that be nice in game six.

19. split41

split41 Member

He's the teams true leader. Also, I'm sort of digging his post moves lately, I'm not so worried anymore - he's dominating down there.

20. dragician

dragician Member

Superstars have high BBIQ. Dwight has a BBIQ (Baby IQ).