1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

McHale post-game interview for Game 4: Reasons for the Loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steady, Apr 28, 2014.

1. steady

steady Member

Here's McHale's view of the factors in the Rockets falling in Game 4.

(I posted this in the Doc Rivers versus McHale thread, and then thought maybe I should post as a separate thread because there seems to be a lot miscommunication about what McHale said in the post game interview.)

Here's a link to the interview.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/po...054802017.html

When asked at the start of the interview what went wrong, McHale said:

"We had opportunities.
    We held the ball
    There were mismatches
    We didn't drive enough.

We held the ball too much, and we weren't aggressive driving."

In response to a second question, he cited the three consecutive botched plays in the 3rd Quarter as an example of missed opportunities. (That was when we were up by 10 or 11, and then on successive possessions Chandler and then James threw the ball away on easy fast break opportunities, then on the next possession James committed a charge for his 3rd foul. I remember the possession after that Asik picked up his 3rd foul, it was all like a slow motion car wreck.) McHale said, "we could have been ahead by 17 points."

McHale said, the team just did not show a lot of aggression. He said they were trying to go to Dwight in OT because Dwight had been doing well.

He cited "Loose balls; little plays." He mentioned that at the "end of game; we should have thrown the ball ahead; we could have gotten a 3."

"Players have to know that playoffs are different from regular season; they are built for the grind; they need to grind out wins."

"Grind out plays; execute
    Stick with the plan –."

At this point, McHale was asked about Lin. He said the players had been instructed, if they rebounded the ball, to take a time out if there was a not a clear break opportunity.

But he really just gave it as an example of how the players in general had not followed instructions during the game.

He said immediately after: "That’s not his [Jeremy's] fault; he made basketball plays; I’m just saying that is typical of what we did tonight. ... we had some defense tonight where we just stood there and watched the guy shoot the ball. We can’t do that. We have to get up in his face."

2. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Is he ever going to say that "this is on me" or is he going to keep blaming his players

2 people like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's on me - what he really wanted to say

k-mac or blame kevin

4. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

McHale trys to deflect blame from Lin but according to LOF he hates him, wants to embarrass him etc.

5. steady

steady Member

You know, I actually felt better about McHale after seeing the interview. I know he hasn't been great in these playoffs. And I was ready to call for his head last night.

But it really did not feel like he was trying to deflect blame in the interview, more that he was just really frustrated and upset.

Maybe the Rockets' players are so talented that they are less willing to listen to their coaches; maybe the coaches are not able to control or manage them well enough. Whatever it is, after seeing the interview, I am less inclined to blame it all on McHale.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

When players screwup, players get the blame.

Its why they get paid millions of dollars to play a game.
    The coach can be the best coach in the history of organized basketball, but if the players don't do what they are supposed to, how can the coach be at fault?

I guess when the Spurs players mess up, and yes they do mess up, does that mean Pop is a bad coach...of course not! That would be stupid to say.

Now, before someone comes along and thinks I am favorably comparing Mchale to Pop, just STOP...thats assinine and I said no such thing. I just said that you can have the best coach in history(which I think Pop is) but if the players dont follow the gameplan than it is their fault not the coachs.

1 person likes this.
  7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He's trying to be the leader where he shows his pack that he knows it all and he has it in control.

But reality is, everyone including the players know he's lost it.

8. yummyhawtsauce

if there was ever a time to show this team's character, this is it, let's start by winning the next game

9. RoxD

RoxD Member

The series is still alive. It is not good to start finger-pointing now.

10. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

As a LOF I don't see it that way. I think McHale was asked a specific question about a specific play and McHale answered the question without singling him out as the sole reason why they lost.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

likewise you can have 2 of the top 10 players in the league in your starting lineup and if the gameplan is fatally flawed (such as opting not to double LMA even once in games 1 & 2……or such as having a total number of offensive sets that can all be drawn up on 1 square of toilet paper), you are doomed to fail regardless.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And just like Harden, if he did come out and say "it's on me" people would just say "talk is cheap, show me...blah blah blah"

People are funny like that.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

McHale told them exactly what to do and they didn't do it... and now it is McHale's fault.

15. Nook

Nook Member

McHale's philosophy has been consistent from day 1. The players are the difference makers, not the coach. Have you ever seen McHale take credit for the Rockets?

16. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

Maybe this wouldn't happen if this glaring problem of half court execution didn't exist all season but it did exist.

Fool me once...

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

'SHOW SOME LEADERSHIP!!! OWN YOUR POOR PLAY IDIOT'

'Its my fault'

'YEAH WELL WORDS MEAN FK ALL ANYWAY'

18. NickKent

NickKent Member

"It's on me" sounds like Kubiak lol

19. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

These sort of losses have happened all year because of 4th quarter collapses. If it's the players then they need to be held accountable. Who holds them accountable? Oh that's right...

20. FaBo

FaBo Member

Yeah. I don't particularly like McHale, and I think that with a better coach we probably wouldn't be down 1-3 right now. However, there are certain plays that you simply can't blame the coach for. Take that sequence in the 3rd quarter as an example where we had 3 turnovers on easy fast breaks in a row or Jeremy's crucial turnover at the end. These mistakes are all on the players, not the coach.