1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's Involvement in the Houston Community

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baruch, Mar 21, 2014.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yes, even in thread that is about community work? Some people take basketball too seriously.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Are you dense? :rolleyes: This is a BASKETBALL for PASSIONATE FANS of the HOUSTON ROCKETS not the Who's who of community service. You want to have warm fuzzy feelings about charity donations, go somewhere else. Here we talk about Rockets and basketball, specifically Rockets basketball.

3. cebu

cebu Member

No doubt he is doing this with all sincerity. He's a good person on and off the court.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Whatever you say man. Perfect example.

5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am sure he is. Lin is a stand up guy who has always been classy and a hard worker. This is why I do believe he will continue to improve and SHOULD have a long career in the NBA.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Tons of Rockets players have made significant contributions to Houston and society in general. T-Mac's contributions in Darfur far surpass Lin's, same with Mutombo. This, while nice, is nothing special and none of which has much to do with basketball. Like I said, you want nice feel-goods, go to his website or websites dedicated to charity work. Again, while nice to see, it is certainly not impressive from either a charity or basketball standpoint.

1 person likes this.
  7. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

True!

8. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair...

Outreach is mandated, however the number of players that establish independent charitable foundations really isn't as large as you would think.

http://thegoodinsports.com/athlete-.../basketball-player-foundations-and-charities/

Of course, we can't really know what *other* sorts of charitable works the players are doing on their own time. I'm sure there are *many* players that sponsor and support various charities.

However, the establishment of a foundation usually indicates a specific and focused approach to charity with an intention towards long-term charitable works.

That's significantly beyond the outreach mandated by the NBA. It doesn't make Lin's commitment to charity a rare commodity in the NBA, however I wouldn't be shocked if that level of commitment was common.

And it does fit his projected image. Remember, this is the guy that said he wanted to become a pastor once he was done in basketball.

9. Rocketfan_Dave

Rocketfan_Dave Contributing Member

So are you mocking the disadvantaged kids who are trying to live the American dream or are you mocking the man whose donating his time and money to help them?

We know you dislike Lin for whatever reason but you are really making Houston fans look bad. I hope people don't think we're all like you...

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Of course he's charitable.

He's always giving the ball to the other team.

11. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

The LoF problem is overstated and it's mainly trolls pretending to be fans that are the problem. Too bad so many people fall for it.

And I guarantee people here will hate on the next PG we get when Lin is inevitably traded. Especially if he starts putting up Linsanity numbers again, which seems likely given his stats whenever Harden is out.

The simple fact is that players here are only as good as their last game.

12. yummyhawtsauce

oh christ, can you make your stink somewhere else? nothing comes out of you except complete negativity. Tinman looks like an optimist in comparison

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If the opposing team's fans like you, you're doing something wrong.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty confident that Harden has done more for Houston area single moms than anyone else on the team.

15. Rocketfan_Dave

Your right. And I believe there were threads on the GARM that highlighted the service of the other rockets players too. Let's not like Jeremy is the only one that gets attention for his service. I for one find it refreshing when a player gets credit for community service and don't mind taking a break from basketball to read about it. If it wasn't posted here I may not even have seen it.

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

kobe's entire career was wrong

17. bongman

bongman Member

Agree. This pales in comparison to:
    • Yao's contribution to Houston and China
    • Mutombo's to Africa
    • Dalembert's to Haiti victims
    • Harden's to all the strip clubs

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

No one is saying it is wrong to post it here. I was merely explaining to someone asking why this was not greeted with much hoopla and has a "muted" response instead.

19. jackycool

jackycool Member

I don't think anyone expects people to gush over it and look at Lin as some kind of saint. It was on local news and it's a good story that his foundation is doing, that's it. Not every story about Lin has to be polarizing. This is just a proverbial thumbs up thread. There are many others threads, as we all know, for more devout praise or hatred.

Cool story, good for Lin, happy for the students.

20. Rocketfan_Dave

I think the guy you're talking about is referring to people giving Lin a hard time in this thread. Not that no one is gushing