1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astroworld memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 19, 2014.

1. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

meeting girls on a chat line and hooking up at astroworld

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Astroworld. Where teen aged kids went to meet girls from other schools before the internet.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Remember being scared to death of the Viper (because it went upside down) and Batman as a young kid.

Greased lightning was easily my favorite ride, followed by Ultra Twister.

Also, making out with a high school girlfriend in the dark on Mayan Mind Bender. LOL. Good times.

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

Yep, Taz Texas Tornado was probably the best ride. Steep first drop and then got very loopy. The few times I went, it was never shut down, so I guess I got lucky.

Serial Thriller was probably 2nd best. Legs hung free, felt like you were weightless.

Ultra Twister was awful - I just remember hitting my head on the side repeatedly during the twists. Very short ride too.

Greezed Lightning always fun, especially the initial blast off.

Anyone remember Starship (?) where you just spin around and around vertically? And then there was Gun Slinger, where you spin around and around horizontally sitting on a chair - both fun rides but made you sick.

Texas Cyclone will always be the classic ride.

Fright Fest was always fun, especially at night. I will always remember the dude who jumped out, scared a kid, and got smacked by one of those toy hammers. Hilarious.

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

"Moving conveyer, please watch your step." Not sure how employees could hear that for hours and not go crazy.

6. Granville

Granville Member

I was there one time with my buddies and they had drained the lagoon and had a concert there. Yvonne Elliman was singing. Don't ask me why we were listening to her sing other than she was hot at the time because we were the AC/DC, Foghat, Foreigner, Van Halen kinda guys.

We were maybe 75 feet from the stage. She sings a couple of songs and then says to the crowd "Hey it's my first time here, can anyone tell me what to ride?" Trying to get a chuckle outta my boys, I blurt out loudly "You can ride me baby!" You could hear a pin drop then. And then as people are turning around and looking in my direction. Yvonne Elliman says., "No I don't think I can do that".

Good times.....

ElPigto and cardpire like this.
  7. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I remember hearing a lot of rumors about the Mayan Mindbender and people getting hurt or killed because they tried to stand up during the ride. Any truth to these??

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Don't remember that. I was always scared I would be stuck sitting next to a fat guy on the Excalibur and fall out of the cab on that last right bank.

Wasn't there a random water tube ride for a while by the Cyclone? I think they replaced it with go-karts.

I miss all the bad live action batman and police academy shows.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was called Texas River. Fun ride.

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

OH and Batman: The Escape ... I have a story.

[​IMG]

As you can see, that yellow thing is supposed to go OVER you and secure your body. Well, the first time I went on it, I sat ON the yellow thing. I remember a worker taking a close look at me before the ride started - didn't do a thing.

Well, ride finishes, I see everyone pushing the yellow thing up, and I just slide right off. Turns out, I was just hanging on to those two handle bars. Could've easily slipped out. I was pissed.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You almost ruined for everyone else. :mad:

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Did it bother anyone else you ventured through the bat cave, abandoned gotham city ship yards and whatever else there was to "escape" to the other side of the loading platform? Would have been cool if you got out of the ride in a different building down the track a little bit but I suppose that would have been impractical.

13. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Fatty Fat b*stard, where art thou?

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Were you buddies with Dennis Quaid?

15. Granville

Granville Member

I was there the night in 1983 when a worker was killed on the Texas Cyclone. From what I recall right after an Eddie Money concert, the crew was adding another train to the track and somehow a train that several crew members were on had a switch malfunction and the train went through the shed where it was stored and then down to the ground.

16. jtagtp

jtagtp Member

My best memory was when I rode Greese lightening 23 times in a row. Shell had rented out astroworld so we had freedom.

Also would get a funnel cake as we left the park each time.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why they shut it down

18. Granville

Granville Member

I heard it became gang infested and no longer a family place.

19. da1

da1 Member

That's not true, that's just someone living in a coccoon that's never around minorities that would say something ignorant like that.

The real reason is some idiot(s) thought the land would be worth a lot, and was totally wrong. So now it sits idle.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll have to dig out my yearbook to see if he and I worked the same year.