1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's an insult because it implies that he doesn't have the ability to be a professional, and put his craft ahead of his sexual orientation. I understand it's different than a typical work environment due to the intimate nature of locker rooms, but this isn't his first experience with that (he's been in locker rooms his entire life, and we've never heard of ONE incident where he crossed the line), and I'd imagine there will be plenty of measures that will be taken to ensure that his teammates feel comfortable with him around. Why on Earth would he jeopardize the one thing he's dedicated his entire life towards (playing in the NFL) for a quick jaunt with a teammate? He has to be around these guys every single day as friends, co-workers, and part of the same brotherhood. I think that's why it's insulting.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Personally, I think that you need locker rooms for both, and a common area where the team can get together. I can't imagine myself being in a locker room with 50 naked ladies and not looking around at the market from time to time. And at some point, I'm going to make someone uncomfortable as I continue to push boundaries. It's human nature.

1 person likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweatt v. Painter, 1950

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Separate locker rooms -What are you 12 years old maybe? That's the only thing I can think of to explain this? But wait, you're a 99'r so that's impossible.

Well here you go, some friendly advice - you'll find that as you go through life, even if you don't play in the NFL - you will undoubtedly find yourself in locker rooms, public restrooms etc with other men.

It is beyond dispute that a significant minority of those men - there with you, not more than a few inches away from your undulating haunches - will be gay, whether they identify as gay or not, or are openly gay or not. SOme of them may even be physically attracted to you.

It is probably also beyond dispute, that when this time comes, you will not notice or care, and that years from now you will reflect on how silly it was for you to believe that separate locker rooms were necessary to protect from this imaginary evil.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So you're saying you want to segregate homosexual players from their own teammates because you're certain that at "some point", it's human nature to cross boundaries and make someone uncomfortable? And that's not horribly insulting and demeaning how exactly? He's homosexual....not a rottweiler. I'm fairly certain somebody who has spent his entire life in locker rooms, and has dedicated his life to making it in the NFL can and will harness his "uncontrollable" urges to stare down his teammates while they're showering.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The day when women and men share locker rooms, I'll buy into your arguments that everyone is equal sexually. You and I both know it doesn't happen in real life. Not now. And there's only one reason, sexuality. Our Children of differing secuality don't locker together. Adults don't locker together. We don't share the bathroom together. Why? Because it's uncomfortable. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I'm in the majority on this one. Right or wrong, we have set that boundary culturally. If you have a supreme court case for men and women sharing showers vs the Board of Education, let me know. I want to see that case.

1 person likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

100 years from now I might change my mind. That's 100 years form now when we are all half machine and steroids are on the approved drug list. but right now, women and men do not share the same facilities nude because it is sexually uncomfortable. This is the same thing. It doesn't matter if this guy is a rotweiler, predator, or happily married or not. It's about how others feel. And the general population is not ready to break that boundary yet otherwise it would be broken. If you want to integrate the bathrooms and lockerooms it will be a hard fight with parents, and the public.