1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow... that looks like a 40 year old Rondo!

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Haha right on... Wish I'd have spelled checked my posts first lol

Dumb iPhone autocorrect!! It's the bane of my exsistance!

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

0 percent.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What's the likelihood that the Rockets want to give up on contending for a championship at any point in the next several years?

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Rondo is an All-Star version of Pat Bev...apparently.

6. JD88

JD88 Member

Rondo could guard

Parker
    Steph
    Westbrook
    Lillard
    Paul

Thats just the playoff teams.

7. rogower

rogower Member

This is incorrect. I have noticed that many (maybe most) fans do not understand what it means for a team to have "cap flexibility." It means what it sounds like it means. It means that you are flexible, that you are chockful of assets that can be moved quickly and easily. If you need to move your pieces around in order to go in a different direction, no problem, teams with cap space will pounce on your players. Teams with cap space would pounce on Rajon Rondo, or James Harden, or Dwight Howard. Jeremy Lin, not so much. Omer Asik, not so much. Which is why Daryl Morey wants to move them.

If you want to fully appreciate what Daryl Morey is doing in Houston, and anticipate future moves, it is important to understand the concept of cap flexibility. It is important to understand that Morey will take a chance on Rondo, as he knows that, if Rondo does not work out in Houston, no problem, you move him in July and you hit the reset button, you try something different.

Seriously, guys, this is how Morey operates. If you don't understand this, that is really too bad, because you aren't able to fully appreciate The Daryl Morey Show, and whenever Houston makes a move, you are like an eleven-year-old fan, completely oblivious to what is happening, and why it is happening.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

How would anybody here know that?

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And you carry on with your eye test. And best to you sir.

10. naesoon

naesoon Member

Rondo personality is similar to Kobe's. Kobe and Dwight did not get along. Rondo and Dwight would definitely butt heads

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Either Asik or Lin can be swapped for Rondo straight up.

If Boston want Parsons, Jones & Bev, it doesn't seem to appear Lin is on their wanted list.

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

There's a reason they want unprotected picks. These picks need to have a chance of being lottery picks..

Safe to say thats not happening with the rockets..late 1st rounders will be almost useless to them, I don't think its going to work.

13. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Just keep roster as it is. I am happy. Why would we give up Parsons after what he have done to recruit Howard to join Rockets? He is not going anywhere.

14. brooksstephens

Yeah it's just like it except for NOTHING at all.

Parsons is a good 3rd option. Harden is a superstar.

OKC got a good 6th man (Martin) and prospects (Adams, Lamb) for Harden. The deal discussed here would bring a top 5 PG (Rondo).

15. thursdays

thursdays Member

And just like that, I'll be up until 4am on trade deadline night again.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I won't bother with trade scenarios, but I'll say that Rondo's type of player has been one that I've been hypothesizing. Basically, he's a big PG that can guard both guard positions at an elite level. And that is a player I've wanted on the Rockets for a long time.

The reason is that over the years, I've found that there have been a lot of "SG in PG body" players in the NBA who are undervalued because they possess a defensive liability. Aaron Brooks on this team would fit that mold. These are players with great offensive skills but not really PGish. And Rondo would cure that. Rondo can play PG on offense and SG on defense. It allows the team to find players that otherwise may not be great fits. And it gives more flexibility on defense.

People talk about Rondo's mismatch on offense. And I agree. But I LOVE Rondo's match on defense. I know I'm not an expert, so I can be totally off base. But I think Rondo will make this an elite defensive team. So even if we drop off on offense a bit, we can still fit into that "top-5 offense and top-5 defense" range, which is what a true contender look like. We sacrifice some of our transition game. But Rondo would also improve our transition D. Overall, I think he can be an upgrade depending on what we give up.

17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

18. theangrycanary

Makes sense. Maybe Morey throws in DMO n BEV. Then brings up Covington from D League.

If Morey wanst Rondo bad enough, he should have the assets to make it work. The thing about getting Rondo + Green that would be so huge, would not just be getting them. It would be that we are basically done trading. And the team can gel for a year or two. These constant huge trades have to stop at some point... right?

19. rullrich

rullrich Member

I just don't understand the "doesn't fit" argument...could someone elaborate?

I don't think we need his scoring as much as his ball distribution - a prime reason why we're starting Bev over Lin right now. With 2 legit stars who can score already Rondo's ability to get the ball in their hands off drives would be his true value. He can slash to the basket as good as anyone but his ability to know when to kick it out for the 3 or toss it up for an alleyoop is certainly above average - certainly better than anyone on our roster right now. Both of those aspects of the game are what this team is built on.

I'd hate to see Parsons go as much as the next guy, but if other teams would offer him near max maybe it's time to sell while we can. We all love his game but I'm not sure anyone could argue he's worth max money on this team.

Worst case - we have 2015 flexibility as previously posted. Key factor in this sort of deal - very little downside if you ask me.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dwight is close to Josh Smith who is close to Rondo.