1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trip Advise: Italy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jan 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Wife and I will be going to Italy for our first time in late April. We will be flying standby to Paris or London (depending on standby availability) where we'll stay a couple days before heading to Rome for around 4 nights.

We're planning on visiting one more city in Italy. We'd like to do two more, and we may, but it really depends on how long it takes us to get out of DFW standby. So, if we can only visit one more city/region, any suggestions?

The main places we're looking at are in Tuscany (Florence or Sienna), Amalfi Coast (Sorrento/Capri), and Venice.

Most people I know that have gone to Italy have gone to 2 of the 3 above, but no one I know has gone to all 3. Anyone here been to Tuscany, Amalfi Coast AND Venice?

Obviously, they are very different cities and it really depends on what you're looking for. From my research, in Tuscany/Florence you have museums, scenic views, wine, etc. Venice might be a bit more touristy, but there's no other city like it in the world. Amalfi Coast offers is very scenic, relaxed and you can visit places like Capri and Pompeii.

2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Vatican City

the Vatican is much bigger than many people think, full of beautiful architecture and rich in history. even if you're not catholic/christian, it's definitely worth spending at least half a day there.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

amalfi coast will still be too chilly to swim in late april. days may be comfortable, nites a bit cool, and mornings foggy.

it's the ideal time to visit tuscany or venice, however. i might also suggest a visit perugia in umbria. and genoa further west is great as well.

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

5. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Co-signed.

6. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

Just went to Italy last summer. Florence/Tuscany and Rome/Vatican City are pretty amazing with lots of architecture, art, museums, views, etc. I personally loved Florence! Definitely should take a visit there and get the Firenze pass!

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Going in April? You're lucky, except for the limited time. Venice isn't that packed with tourists in April. Neither is Florence, and Florence has some of the world's great works of art parked there, if that interests you. In other words, I agree with pippendagimp. It's a great time to visit those places, and the others mentioned. I just wish you had a week to add to your trip. It would make a huge difference, IMO. Of course, so would a month. ;-)-

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I just came back from Rome, Florence and Venice, and I've been to Pompei before. Venice is beautiful, it took my breath away the moment I stepped out of the train station, but it is insanely touristy. I swear 100% of employment there is either in Murano glass ($$$$$$) or helping tourists. Some of the smaller canals may get smelly though. You should check out Alfredo's, it's a small pasta shop that's ranked no. 1 on Tripadvisor, but go like an hour before lcosing time or else it will be packed. Delicious fresh pasta and extremely friendly staff.

Florence is more typically Italian, small streets that suddenly open out to vast areas. If you are interested in art/history, Florence will be perfect. See David and discreetly take some photos, see the Duomo, I think Dante and Michaelangelo are buried there too.

As for Amalfi region, whilst I was mostly centered around Naples, I would suggest going to Herculaneum rather than Pompei. Much less crowded.

But above all, I would suggest getting a guide, if you are interested enough in history. There is just so much history that if you go without knowing exactly what you're looking at, you won't appreciate the artefacts on display.

9. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Learn how to spell advice.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Try Olive Garden while there. I've seen the commercials, looks heavenly!

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Don't forget the mandatory....:eek:

12. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

Did a rome, venice and florence trip. Venice is definately a must, so much different then any other city I've been to.

Florence was beautiful and I preferred over Rome. Plus you there are tours to small towns right outside Florence. We did a tour to Siena & San Gimignano.

Others have recommended Portofino. I would try to visit next time I'm in Italy

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The octupus wants what the squid desires.

Don't waste time with all these tourist traps.

Go to Arezzo and set your heart free. It's my old stomping ground and made me the champ I am today. Remove all articles of clothing and behavior that identify you as American. Perugia is another great place. Also if you want to leave the wife at home and bang some models, every dude should have that experience, I can recommend a few places and mating rituals in Milan. But you've got to follow a strict diet for the next 3 months and be bleeding money because basically, your American mannerisms will turn them off so there needs to be a balance.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Spend 2 days in Rome, then get out of there. Don't overlook the couple of days you are spending in Paris on the way there. Paris is awesome.

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Italians are warm and appreciate a bit slower pace. So when in Rome...

If you have limited time (~4 days), don't spend your time traveling to/from Florence, Venice or Tuscany (which are all great but far). Amalfi is closer and you will be amazed. Capri is nearby too but so is Ischia which is also very nice and less expensive.

If you only have a few days, try to keep your trips more concentrated so can enjoy what time you DO have. You can't go wrong with any of the places you listed ...unless you try to see them all. Lol.

PS... spend as little time in Naples as possible. Sorrento isn't bad but it is the least interesting part of the Amalfi.

16. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Venice is great, but you can really see everything you need to see in 1 day. I like Florence the best, but Rome is a must-see. It is a shame you will not be there very long. Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Lucca are all worth your time.

17. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

Did an Italy trip this past March, hitting Venice (including Murano, Burano, Lido), Florence, Rome, and Naples. About 10 years ago, I did Naples, the Amalfi coast (Sorrento, Positano, Salerno), Capri, and Palermo.

It seems you've got the basics down with your research. What is it you want to experience on the trip?

Florence is definitely a haven for food and art, and you can't go wrong. Don't forget to buy all your leather goods here after having a big ass steak.

Venice is Venice - "the Disney World of Italy", as it was described to me - though in my opinion, Burano was the best island to visit.

But if you're a sucker for nature views like I am, then it really doesn't get any better than a ride through the Amalfi coast, with a stop by Positano to soak in the moment.

Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed. It's all a matter of what you're looking for.

Also, if you do end up going nearby Vesuvius, I would second the suggestion to visit Herculaneum over Pompeii. We weren't able to visit because of the random strike that day, but it seems that's the way to go, as it's supposedly much less touristy.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Went to the Amalfi Coast for a day when I was in Rome for 5 days during Thanksgiving week. Took a train to Napoli, had a personal guide pick us up, went to the Amalfi Coast, ate lunch at Positano, then toured Pompeii.

Can't say anything about the other 2 but Pompeii/Amalfi Coast was a damn good time.