1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I don't know besides Rox, if any other teams in the NBA will start Bev over Lin.

But I am indifferent, don't think Lin will play for Rox next season anyway. Rox want to trade Lin since last summer and Lin is probably already sick at the way he is treated by the Rox and its fans.

2. gene18

gene18 Rookie

McHale is like most people. Once they form an opinion they rarely or ever change it, and when that opinion is made public it is written in stone. Sociological and psychological research strongly support this. First opinions are absolutely the hardest to change. They die was cast when Mchale formed his first opinion of Lin.

3. RocketPowerNick

You lose all credibility when you want Brooks starting over Lin :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think that's the case. At the beginning of the off-season this year Feigen wrote both the Rockets analytics think tank and coaching staff were high on Bev.

Kevin Pelton liked Bev's potential as a starter based on his own projections & from what he'd heard. It's not hard to guess which group at the Rockets he's talking to.

5. RocketPowerNick

Saying Lin got "torched" last night is just incorrect and wrong.

Isaiah Thomas went 6-17.

I worry about the basketball intelligence of people like you.

6. RocketPowerNick

35% shooting is "torched"?!

Roxtxia is lowering the average IQ for LOH's across the board.

7. SirKen

SirKen Member

I noticed that too. I think this is also one of the reasons why his assists have gone down and he is looking to pass less than before. Not to mention, at times, he looked like he was hesitant to shoot. Is it because he didn't want to chuck and get the other players involved or because he didn't want to lower his fg%?

Just some food for thought.

8. adobo

adobo Member

I'm still on the fence with this one...It's all about getting the best production from both your starting lineup and your bench.

Once Bev and Asik is healthy, if the bench still can't get there production up outside of Casspi and sometimes AB, then there is some justification to move Lin as 6th man.

Lin is a better player than Bev overall, but its about getting the best impact for the team which at the moment is not really determined. More wins for the team with this current starting line up and good bench production would give weight to him starting over Bev

9. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

He's right Lin got torched. And that's putting it kindly.

When IT drove past Lin which happened every play our defense broke down. Our defense sucking started with Lin not being able to guard Thomas

10. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I subscribe to ESPN insider. I can tell you first hand as I have read most if not all of Pelton's article's about Lin. Pelton did not think Lin was good at any point in his career. Hollinger was different, but Pelton took over when Hollinger went to the Grizzles(I believe) to do their analytics. BTW I am friendly with a women in the front office of the Knicks. We argued all last season about Shumpert. She told me that powers that be are very high on Shumpert. They said he was great at defense and has a lot of potential. I thought he was not very good. The Knicks now want to trade him and think he is not very good. I am telling you this story because the front office is frequently very wrong, even analytical people, not because I was right about Shumpert.

11. basketballholic

Howard and Harden and Parsons DO NOT PLAY THE SAME POSITION!!!!!

Lin and Beverley DO PLAY THE SAME POSITION!!!!!!!

It's about OPPORTUNITY $$$$ and what else can be done with that money!

12. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I believe his assits have gone down because we have been moving away from team ball. With the addition of Dwight the teams motion has slowed as they are trying to get the ball to him. He will attempt a shoot most of the time he posts up. Thus, the direct involvement of the rest of the team is reduced. That coupled with Harden's Iso has been deadly this year. Parsons said that the team has to be less selfish during his post game interview.IMO Jeremy is told to get the ball to the best scorers, Dwight and Harden. Thus, his assist are down as I believe are the assits for the whole team .

13. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

In the other thread a few posters were lumping Chandler and Jeremy's defense with James' garbage one. When you said Jeremy got ~torched, I figured you were one of them, so I apologize if it wasnt.
    Ive certainly been harsh, even been corrected by the vets because Ive wrongfully gotten on him too much for rough games.

We can still debate without calling each other labels like middle school cliques, thats what the forum is for :p
    You say he was torched, I disagree. 6 for 17. IT scored twice in the 4th. As did Jeremy (not even counting the stat padding dunk). Not sure when the torching happened.

14. basketballholic

Beverley is making $788k now and he's going to be making less than $1 million next year and will then be a free agent with a very low cap hold!!!!!

We don't know what Beverley is going to make in the future but we know what he is making now and next year and we know what Lin is making now and next year!!!!! Those are KNOWNS!!!

Once again, it's about the opportunity to do other things with those salary $$$$$

15. adobo

adobo Member

I think you forgot to take into account Lin is also Harden's backup :p But not sure if your trolling or not but you cannot use salary to gauge on how incrementally good someone else is over someone. That just does not work. I won't go on because i seriously think your trolling

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Thomas DID torch Lin.

Let me ask you this, if Lin dribbles into the paint and hits the open man for a 3 after the opposing defense has collapsed, did Lin make a good play?

17. basketballholic

Too many posters here have an obsession with using the term "trolling" and calling people "trolls".

The facts are Beverley makes 1/10th of what Lin makes and gives comparable value on the court. No, he's not the playmaker Lin is but we don't enjoy the total benefit of Lin's playmaking because Harden is our primary playmaker. Yes, we do need a secondary playmaker to Harden. But a secondary playmaker can be obtained for less than half of Lin's salary and give us everything (and more) that Lin gives this team as the backup playmaker. Not to mention we've got another guy making less than $600k who is going to be able to give us all the playmaking that Lin gives us with a little bit of experience.

It's simply a value proposition. We can do a lot more for this team by using the extra $6.5+ million that we are paying Lin elsewhere.

Once again. Not trolling. I like Lin a lot. I like his game. I really wished it would work out here. I really wished Lin was the primary playmaker and Harden was the secondary playmaker. I believe Harden is a lot more dangerous off the ball than Lin is and Lin is every bit as effective as Harden as a playmaker. I believe the numbers/advanced stats bear this out.

But it's not going to happen here. You can keep arguing until the cows come home but it's not going to happen here. We need more than what Lin is giving this team for the money he is making in the role we have given him. And Lin needs a bigger role than what we are going to give him here. That's just facts. Beverley/Canaan/Brooks....minimum salary guys that are somewhat effective. Lin....making $8.3 million and somewhat effective. We're gonna wind up using Lin's salary to make this team more effective at other positions which are less effective. That is to say...the big man rotation.

#137 basketballholic, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  18. bws

bws Member

Guys like you and the other two are impossible. If you want to believe Lin was torched go ahead. At this point it is getting silly.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

Morey wants to trade Lin & asik... bev will start so the team will already be adjusted to having bev as a the starter.

1. option - Brooks will come off the bench if Lin is traded and no other pg is brought in

2. Option - If a elite pg is brought in "dwill/rondo etc" he will start and bev will go back to coming off the bench like last year

3. option - If Lin is not traded and finishes his contract in Houston expect him to be put back in the starting lineup at some point.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Stats never tell the entire story....

So if you are purely relying on stats then you're only reading half the story...

T_Man