1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beckham comming to the US?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by UTweezer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Interesting...I doubt it'll happen though. Man U vs. Real Madrid is going to be a game...can't wait.

Beckham might be looking to make move

ESPN.com news services

David Beckham has been a Manchester United staple for his entire soccer career.

And on the heels of the Reds' Champions League match against Real Madrid on Wednesday, there is word he might leave England for Spain over the summer.

In a story printed in Time magazine, Beckham, also the captain of England's national soccer team, talked about possibly leaving Man United for Real Madrid and joining a roster that already boasts Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo.

"You always want to play with the best team and the best players,'' Beckham told the magazine. "Real Madrid has a massive history, and they've got world-class players on their team.''

But even if it's not Real Madrid, Beckham might just be interested in making a move. Beckham and his wife, Victoria (a.k.a. Posh Spice from the Spice Girls), have lived under intense scrutiny from the British media and the report stated that he would almost welcome a smaller spotlight in the United States.

"No other English footballer has ever made it big over there,'' Beckham told the magazine. "I'd love to be well known in America. The American people are so patriotic about their teams and their sports -- more so than anywhere else in the world.

"I like the way they look up to Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. I'm sure they criticize their players, but not to the extent where they're putting their own people down.''

Manchester United, meanwhile, is also challenging for the Premiership title, and sits three points ahead of Arsenal for the overall lead.

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Sure David come on over. Then we can hope that we get an MLS expansion team like has been rumored. I think Mr. and Mrs. Beckham would like Houston. A bit warm, but it's probably cosmopolitan enough for them.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Isn't Mrs. Beckham one of the Spice Girls?? The hot one if I remember right! :)

4. PhiSlammaJamma

In one sentence he said he would like a smaller spotlight, then he wants to be like michael Jordan and Tiger Woods in the next. In one sentence he talks about playing with the best players in the world, the next the terrible U.S. players. Oh my. Here is man who has some issues.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The tabloids in England are like a million times worse than here. They are stalkers. Here in the US it's not that bad. I didn't even know Shaq was married, or that he was having a kid until he told the media he might miss a game to be at the birth.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

He would have a smaller spotlight, even if he was an MJ or Tiger Woods, over here.

More than likely, he would come here when is like 35 years old, and out of his prime. No European player in his prime would come to the MLS. The MLS is shaping up to be a good place for international players to wrap up their career.

7. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

you're welcome to him. One of the most over-rated players in the world.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Come on over, it's about time for the MLS to come to Houston.

Looking forward to another great world cup. USA

9. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

I agree that he is over rated, but is there isnt much in sports prettier that a david beckham freekick. Bend it like Becks!

10. Typo19

Typo19 Member

Ever see a 4-6-3 double play?

11. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Give me a Roberto Carlos freekick over a Beckham freekick every time.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I bet this site is worse than the fans over there. However, soccer is not that popular over there. Good luck getting not one but several Austrailians to be on a site about MLS soccer. What am I talking about? Beckham should do it. If he is not worried about the money it would be fun.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Carlos doesn't score anywhere near as many goals off freekicks as Beckham. Not many guys do. Pierre Van Hoojidink and Alessandro Del Piero are the only 2 who might.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

alomar to vizquel to thome

tinkers to evers to chance

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Did anyone watch the ManU vs. Real Madrid? damn...what a match...what a match

16. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Not many people take as many free kicks as Beckham either. Del Piero and Zola are both more successful in percentage terms.