1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard: Shots Fired at coaching - minutes management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 23, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What a r****ded ass thread. I come in here to see something substantial and see nothing out of the ordinary? Misleading title, OP should be ashamed.

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

We're running a 8-man rotation and the season is barely under way. All our stars are playing ridiculous minutes. The bench guys get either shoved in for an entire game and pulled at the last few minutes of the fourth quarter, or they come on for two minutes and then get benched and forgotten. We're a young team but there's no way this can keep up.

McHale's minute management is absolutely horrendous and Dwight is being very nice about this. I really don't like Dwight at all and I don't necessarily think he should be broadcasting this to the public, but I can see why he did. Players really need to call McHale on his BS.

3. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Huh.....????
    just because he has bad reputation from the past (which I think it's BS) it doesn't mean he can't speak the truth or address the problem in order to get it fixed, he wants to win and he has every right to address the problems for this team.

This is probably the dumbest post I haven seen on this thread.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You add another player to the rotation and it cuts into Lins minutes first since he plays so much at both guard spots. Actually it's a 9 man rotation with Lin, Garcia Casspi, Asik coming off the bench.

The first 3 guys can play multiple positions as well. Have no problem with the rotation just need to get Howard and Harden more rest with better play from the other 7 and with better defense should be able to sustain leads better.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Can someone please ban people like the OP who are only here to cause drama? Not at ALL what the quote indicates. **** you OP.

6. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

"I didn't know that Dwight was the coach..."

- Mchale

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Well, this was pretty much a BS thread title, there was nothing that makes me think he was saying bad stuff about our coaching.

OP with inflammatory title. Would neg rep if I could.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like this open and refreshing message from Dwight.

9. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

Holy mixed metaphor, Batman!

10. Play07

Play07 Member

CSN pre-game show 11/23/13

so clavin what keeps happening in the 4th, rockets have the lead and end up losing it ?

Calvin - we'll someone has to be the BAD GUY & say hey you shot the last 2 shots ball is not moving. It needs to happen on the court, not after the game it's too LATE then, that's not going to change nothing. This team has vets that can step up and say something.

- he didn't say any names on who he was referring to

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

Some people can't read english at beyond a high school level. This is called politics speak and having plausible deniability.

Of course Dwight is not going to spell it out for you that the coaches are mismanaging minutes, if he did that, Mchale would be fired immediately. He is saying it in a way that sends msg but also for people who don't pay attention just sounds like a general platitude.

Just like when Mchale talks about "the ball being sticky", to the average fan, it probably just sounds like one of those things, but what he actually means is that Harden didn't run the offense and played hero ball.

12. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

One thing Im very happy that Rockets got Howard was to be 1 of the leaders on this young Rockets squad. Even tho Howard was never known for a leader, I think after what he been through in LA, with Nash, Kobe and Pau. I saw a video clip where Harden just let Ellis drive by for a easy layup, Howard was in Harden's face calling him out. That's what they need, holds everybody accountable, even our superstar harden.

13. SemisolidSnake

I agree with all of this. When I see him in post-game interviews, he's actually one of the more interesting interviewees that I've seen. He's definitely not goofy or flippant as he's been made out to be. In fact, he often is quite serious about the specific deficiencies the team showed that night. I get the impression that Dwight actually wants to win and gets frustrated when his teammates aren't doing what they need to to make that happen. GOOD. If that's his attitude, I WANT him to be the leader of the team and kick the butts of these young players to play 100%.

Harden is really the opposite of this, by the way. He can show immense talent when he's on, but he's not a leader at all. When he's off his game, it's usually when he's trying to run the offense and ISOing and taking contested, ridiculously long shots by himself. There's nothing wrong with not being a leader type unless your coach lets you be exactly that at the most critical points of the game.

Murph put this best after the last game, and I agree with him: the Rockets are successful when they play from the inside out. When they get the ball inside, they give themselves both inside and outside options. When they try playing from the outside in and sticking to threes and predictable penetrations to the basket, they get slaughtered. Let Dwight be the focus of your inside-out team strategy. He seems, at least to me this season, to be able to assist and score equally effectively. That's what I want to see at the critical moments of a game, not ISO -> chuck.

14. SemisolidSnake

I agree with all of this. When I see him in post-game interviews, he's actually one of the more interesting interviewees that I've seen. He's definitely not goofy or flippant as he's been made out to be. In fact, he often is quite serious about the specific deficiencies the team showed that night. I get the impression that Dwight actually wants to win and gets frustrated when his teammates aren't doing what they need to to make that happen. GOOD. If that's his attitude, I WANT him to be the leader of the team and kick the butts of these young players to play 100%.

Harden is really the opposite of this, by the way. He can show immense talent when he's on, but he's not a leader at all. When he's off his game, it's usually when he's trying to run the offense and ISOing and taking contested, ridiculously long shots by himself. There's nothing wrong with not being a leader type unless your coach lets you be exactly that at the most critical points of the game.

Murph put this best after the last game, and I agree with him: the Rockets are successful when they play from the inside out. When they get the ball inside, they give themselves both inside and outside options. When they try playing from the outside in and sticking to threes and predictable penetrations to the basket, they get slaughtered. Let Dwight be the focus of your inside-out team strategy. He seems, at least to me this season, to be able to assist and score equally effectively. That's what I want to see at the critical moments of a game, not ISO -> chuck.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Because the OP is really over reaching and too much is being made of what Howard said.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think the rockets have good enough depth to the point none of the starters should play more than 34minutes a game. Lin should split with bev,garcia should play 14mins for harden,casspi or brewer should play 14mins,dmo 14mins for jones,and asik 14 minutes for howard. They don't have to be bench mob,but mchale can put those mins in.

17. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Or you are just reading into things.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Haha. Tell us about how good your English reading skills are. This is gonna be good. . . .

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

It works when Howard speaks up. Much better rotation tonight.

20. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It needs to be seen when Harden comes back.