1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gamescom 2013 (More PS4/XBO, oh and other stuff)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Gamescom 2013 will be starting up in a few days. This is basically E3 Europe (actually bigger I believe). As you might expect, we will hear a little more about the Xbox One, PS4, and all sorts of new games (and new stuff on existing games).

Some info + date/times here:
    http://www.hypable.com/2013/08/17/gamescom-2013/
    A lot of the stuff will start on the 20th (MS, Sony, and EA conferences).

Some rumors that were posted on NeoGAF ("translated"):
    I took the "translation" from poster WyndhamPrice in the tread since I liked the format, though several other "translations" available. If you'd like to translate it yourself:

This guy (girl?) has been REALLY accurate in the past. I think I even posted his stuff during E3. IIRC, the only thing he got wrong was thinking the Halo trailer was a PoP trailer (somewhat understandable). Not sure how these leaks come out, but it is fun to read (especially since they end up being very accurate).

Here's a nice Witcher 3 CG trailer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c0i88t0Kacs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some other good games will be there. DD can comment on this, but I think their team will be at the event (not sure if they're just attending, or if they'll release some good stuff from the game...haven't followed it as closely as I did in the past).

I think I saw some speculation that Mount & Blade 2 might be revealed/shown at the event. If you played M&B 1 (and the mods/expansions), you probably know why this excites me. It has been long overdue.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am leaving in the morning to go to this, and am hosting a webcast from a beer garden on Friday.

You can follow along and get updates from gamescom on the website in my sig and our youtube channel called robertsspaceind.

Dd

3. RC Cola

Some updates.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...or-third-party-game-comes-free-with-xbox-one/
    More at the link. Other sources are indicating it is FIFA.

Regarding the MS conference tomorrow, apparently there won't be one. We knew it wasn't going to be streamed, but sounds like it will be "just" a showcase event. Still new stuff, but won't be a big event. On the bright side, sounds like details might come out overnight regarding what MS has planned for XBO (already saw some of that in the earlier link).

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

RC - do you know if the sports games like Madden are being developed on XBOX then ported to PS4 (like last gen), vice versa, or separately (no port)?

5. mario_v

mario_v Member

I just hope a release date is announced for both consoles.

6. RC Cola

I don't know specifically about Madden and the others. Many next-gen games were developed initially for the PC, then "ported" to the PS4/XBO. Given the similar architecture this time around (plus improving tools from Sony), that is apparently much easier to do this time around.

With sports games, I'm not sure how they're handling the engines across generations. They could be developing the game initially on PCs, then porting down to PS3/360 (and so on), and then porting up (or...just porting) to PS4/XBO. This is similar to how MGS5 is being developed I believe.

If you're worried about the priority the 360 received this generation (in regards to optimized frame rates and all that), I don't think that will be as big of a problem with PS4/XBO. Can't rule it out because every game is a special case, but developers should be able to put out similar (great) products on both platforms, regardless of where the game is initially developed.

(I believe most games are developed on PC first anyway, despite the claims that say otherwise. They just end up "porting" it to consoles late in development, and I guess they end up making more optimizations to the "lead" console, meaning the other one gets a "port" of that).

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

If the third party game is bf4 or Titanfall, I will get the Xbox one.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

PS4 launch date is announced tomorrow around noon CST, I think. The latest rumored date is Oct 21.

9. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I will hold off on PS4 until there is a Uncharted 4 announcement.

10. mikennite

mikennite Member

Damn, if we only had something this big in Houston......

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

DD adopting our German lifestyle, I see. :grin:

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

A) it isn't (it's probably FIFA)
    B) it's not relevant to you anyway, do you live in Europe?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I might have to pay attention to this thing after all.

Also, I will wait a year or so and see if there is indeed a Kinect-less XBone.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

EA conference starting 10AM ET(in a bit over an hour), Sony 1PM ET today.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Any live blog updates?

16. RC Cola

Stream for EA conference (very late, but better late than never):
    http://live-event.ea.com/gamescom/
    Some things already shown:
    NeoGAF thread that summarizes info from all the events:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654799

Some of the MS stuff:
    I just copied the text from that thread, though the

17. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

will the FIFA 14 thing happen in the US too? That would be awesome. Also the dedicated servers for CoD is a big deal

18. RC Cola

Europe only.

Maybe they'll do a different game here, though I get the impression MS only did that because preorder numbers weren't looking good in Europe (cutting back launch plans didn't help either).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

XB1 is getting BF4.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Literacy never was your strong suit.