1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running shoe advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GraingerGuy, Jul 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

I've just started running (2 months of experience) and I have your basic Nike walking/running shoe. I figure, now that it's basically a habit that I can't stop, I should get shoes that are a little more suited to running. I know it's a preference thing, but do any of you have a suggestion on shoes y'all have liked or currently like?

Thanks.

2. Garner

Garner Member

Congratulations on the new hobby/habit!

I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Born to Run and download the Nike+ App.

To your shoe question, I prefer Sauconeys. Just put 350miles on my kinvara trails and they still feel great.

Run easy, my friend

3. dragician

dragician Member

If you're over 40 you are supposed to wear New Balance shoes.

4. jaykay

jaykay Member

I have flat arches in my feet, so I need a little more support from my shoes than most of the common Nike running shoes. The Kayano series by Asics are my favorite running shoes ever. The latest generations are pretty expensive, but you can always find older models at nordstrom rack, discount shoe stores, and sometimes Marshalls for betweem 60-90 dollars.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My advice is go to a running store where they can recommend something that suits your running form.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I use Asics Gt2000 and Gel Flash. They have been great. I have run 750+ miles in them so far this year.

7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

This. What works for other people may not work for you and vice versa.

8. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Yeah, this is something I'm going to be doing when I finally get back home. But I figured I would just get opinions and whatnot, just because it's nice to have another perspective on things.

I'll have to look into that book. I've been using the MapMyRun app for my tracking program of choice. Basically it does what I what it to. It gives me numbers to motivate me. What does Nike+ offer that makes it awesome?

And yeah, it's nice. I've always HATED running (more of a run/walk combo is what I do.) and amazingly, now I actually look forward to it somewhat. In the two months, I've gone from getting pretty winded at .15-.2 miles and a total of 2-3 miles, to being able to go .5 - .6 miles at a time and a total of 5-7 miles. I know that's not the greatest...but considering I've NEVER been able to go that long at a time before, it's a pretty big accomplishment for me.

9. droopy421

droopy421 Member

If you are in Houston check out Luke's Locker for shoes.

10. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

lol says who? New Balance?

11. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I've been running in my Altra Zero Drops since I got them for Christmas. They are different and it took me a few runs to get used to them but now I absolutely love them and sometime even where them while just walking around. Their whole thing is the idea of not wanting to rip your shoes off as soon as you get back and I would say they do a good job of that.

They can get kind of pricey though so I would recommend doing some research on Zero Drop Minimalist shoes to make sure they are something that would be right for you before purchasing a pair.

Congrats on the new hobby. You will definitely grow to love it more and more as you grow as a runner.

12. Garner

Garner Member

Running shoes are destroying your body.

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

14. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

And yet, if you're used to being in shoes all your life, those barefoot running shoes are going to hurt you more than help.

15. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

I'm also of the flat footed variety of people. This and jaykay's suggestion is going to make me look into asics a little harder.

16. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Just make sure you get Asics with the "Duo Max" on the side. That's what's giving you the added arch support. I don't think the Asics Kayano has that feature. I'm no shoe expert, but the manager at the Sports Authority I go to is and he was basically giving me a crash course, lol.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wow! That's fantastic. What type of arch do you have?

How so? Honest question. I need a good pair of running shoes. I'm going to get pretty serious about running again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Second this. I was recommended Brooks and have used them the past 4 years. They work well for me.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think I have a normal arch. I have never been diagnosed with any foot abnormalities.

I tend to rotate through 3 pairs of shoes. If you run a lot, your shoes need 24 hours to bounce back. I keep 2 pairs at home that I alternate on outdoor runs (Gel Flash) and a pair at work that I use on a treadmill (GT-2000).

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I run between 70 and 90 miles a month, at 43 years old I learned that you cant be cheap on your shoes. I have the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12, $110 but well worth it. I have only been a runner for a little over two years so I am still learning.