1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adam Schefter: Ryan Swope career may be over

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by So Good, Jul 25, 2013.

1. So Good

So Good Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Cardinals placed rookie WR Ryan Swope on reserve/retired list due to concussions. Looks like his NFL career is over.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/360542231872024576">July 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Never got started. Sad to hear.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23AZCardinals&amp;src=hash">#AZCardinals</a> placed wide receiver Ryan Swope on the reserve/retired list due to concussion issues. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23CardsCamp&amp;src=hash">#CardsCamp</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nfl&amp;src=hash">#nfl</a></p>&mdash; Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/statuses/360535190898098179">July 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

3. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

At least they're taking concussions seriously now.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That dude is one tough MFer. I remember him taking so many huge shots and college and thinking there had to be some micro blackouts going on.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Alright, I'm tired of the NFL and it's lists now. The Cardinals put him on some list called "retired"? Or Swope retired... it's one of the other. It should be anyways.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="http://t.co/sSefVaowf3">pic.twitter.com/sSefVaowf3</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Swope (@RSwope25) <a href="https://twitter.com/RSwope25/statuses/360585018491416578">July 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

Unfortunate. He could have had a very good career.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Interesting he says 'OTAs'. One would think 'A&M'.

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

He's a tough dude ... I'll never forget that catch against Alabama where he got leveled and then jumped up in celebration immediately after celebrating the big play. Unfortunately, plays like that are the cause of this, but he will forever be one of my favorite A&M players.

9. So Good

So Good Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Dude took some hits at A&M.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

OTAs are no pads, no contact right?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's what I thought too. And how did he practice if he was never cleared?

“I’m 100 percent right now,” he said in a conference call with local media members. “I’ve had just a few head injuries that have been minor. I’ve never missed a college game. I feel great.”

Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald alluded to general concerns regarding teammate Ryan Swope, a sixth-round choice in the 2013 draft. Fitzgerald, speaking on SiriusXM radio, indicated Swope has missed practice time while working through issues related to the concussions Swope suffered in college.

June 12 - Adam Schefter: Disconcerting: Former Texas A & M standout and Cardinals rookie WR Ryan Swope has yet to practice due to symptoms related to concussions suffered in college.

12. Buck Turgidson

Hopefully the NFL's new found concern with brain trauma will filter down to the NCAA.

13. So Good

So Good Member

Interesting enough, USA Today had this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-concussion-lawsuit-adrian-arrington/2588189/

Partial quote of the article.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

These are the things that Swope needs to be reading when assessing whether or not it's worth playing in the NFL. He's obviously had enough major hits in his career to be considered a risk, so at this point, he'd literally be risking his life everytime he steps out onto the field. I hope he makes the right decision after this next season, and decides to hang them up for good. I'll always love him as a player for the things he did at A&M, so part of me really wants to see him at the next level, but the right thing to do here is retire for good.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Feel bad for the guy. He made a lot of great catches but that's because he ran routes where he was going to get hit. The money isn't worth it for the life long effects. Glad he's getting out.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He was never afraid of taking a big hit, ran the routes and always put the effort to make the catch knowing the hit was coming. Hell of a player.

Glad to hear he's taking the Dr's advice.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He meant A&M (or probably SEC :p), the guy is borderline perma-concussed, he doesn't know what he's saying.

18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Will always be one of my favorites at A&M!! I'm glad to hear he is making the right choice by not risking more concussions.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah because the NCAA's moral compass is very sensitive.

Dear guy who ****ed up your brain due to concussions:

- aren't you glad you didn't get paid and we did? Keeping track of all this money is hard!

Best Regards,

- NCAA

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member